Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 11:18:46 AM
Yes I do, sorry about that, but it was Svetlanov I think who recorded the Elgar.

Yes, Svet in the Second...with a bizzare Russian Sea Pictures  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 11:25:31 AM
Both are great John. The Viola Concerto is well served on CD. I also like the old Menuhin/Walton version although some, if I remember correctly, consider it too slow.
I don't know that many recordings of the Viola Concerto, but do own the Menuhin conducted by the composer in a long OOP "Walton conducts Walton" 4-CD set on EMI. I wasn't really impressed (it seems to me Walton wasn't as great a conductor as he was a composer  ::) )I still much prefer the first version I bought:

[asin]B000000AQE[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on January 07, 2015, 11:37:53 AM
I don't know that many recordings of the Viola Concerto, but do own the Menuhin conducted by the composer in a long OOP "Walton conducts Walton" 4-CD set on EMI. I wasn't really impressed (it seems to me Walton wasn't as great a conductor as he was a composer  ::) )I still much prefer the first version I bought:

[asin]B000000AQE[/asin]

I have that version too (OCD 8)) and it is a great one and fine coupling + great cover painting.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 11:32:38 AM
I think that Previn is a great conductor (VW/Shostakovich etc etc) but I have never really been that keen on his RCA recording of Walton's 1st Symphony and actually prefer the contemporaneous Sargent recording which most critics don't like as much. For me, the opening of the symphony has to have a kind of nervous, tentative and vulnerable quality which is completely lacking in that Previn version which, to my ears, starts much too confidently. Boult in his old PYE version gets it just right as does Sargent. The Colin Davis version is excellent too. The CD below (2CDset) is available on Amazon UK at £2.99  ???.
[asin]B002HHH3X6[/asin]

I should also add that I like Alexander Gibson's Walton 1st on Chandos in addition to Davis/LSO Live. I don't think I've heard Sargent's. I'm not actually that familiar with Sargent's conducting with the exception of a few performances of other composers whose names escape me now.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2015, 11:43:48 AM
I should also add that I like Alexander Gibson's Walton 1st on Chandos in addition to Davis/LSO Live.

The Gibson was my first Walton First...still a favorite. JPC has the Davis for next to nothing. I think I'll grab it.

Sarge

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2015, 11:35:54 AM
Yes, Svet in the Second...with a bizzare Russian Sea Pictures  8)

Sarge

Yes, but there is something very fine about his Second Symphony, complete with characteristic Soviet brass section. I love those old Soviet recordings of a British music as they are a refreshing change from usual approaches and allow you to hear the music differently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2015, 11:45:35 AM
The Gibson was my first Walton First...still a favorite. JPC has the Davis for next to nothing. I think I'll grab it.

Sarge

Excellent and a good idea. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2015, 11:43:48 AM
I should also add that I like Alexander Gibson's Walton 1st on Chandos in addition to Davis/LSO Live. I don't think I've heard Sargent's. I'm not actually that familiar with Sargent's conducting with the exception of a few performances of other composer whose names escape me now.

Gibson is great. I think that I have every recording of Walton's  First Symphony, maybe almost 30 including the same recording in different manifestations. It is my worst example of mad collecting disorder and includes rare recordings by Horenstein and Karajan.

On a completely separate note I had loads of school marking (grading) work to do tonight but have done nothing yet thanks to this thread. So if I get fired it will be the fault of John, Sarge and Ritter!  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 11:50:36 AM
On a completely separate note I had loads of school marking (grading) work to do tonight but have done nothing yet thanks to this thread. So if I get fired it will be the fault of John, Sarge and Ritter!  :)

Screw work...music rules...even if it doesn't put bread on the table  ;D ;)

Sarge

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2015, 11:53:41 AM

Sarge

Excellent point Sarge. I'd much rather be doing this.  :)

Mirror Image

Gibson is great. I think that I have every recording of Walton's  First Symphony, maybe almost 30 including the same recording in different manifestations. It is my worst example of mad collecting disorder and includes rare recordings by Horenstein and Karajan.

You're a mad collector like I am, so I can certainly relate. :) Oh and I'm with Sarge, screw work! Music comes first! Those kids can take rain checks. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2015, 11:53:41 AM

Sarge

:P Rock on, Sarge!

mc ukrneal

I'm sure they'd all put you up for a spell...as long as you brought some Walton recordings with you... :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2015, 11:55:59 AM
You're a mad collector like I am, so I can certainly relate. :) Oh and I'm with Sarge, screw work! Music comes first! Those kids can take rain checks. ;D
:) :)

vandermolen

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 07, 2015, 11:57:16 AM
I'm sure they'd all put you up for a spell...as long as you brought some Walton recordings with you... :)
Very true.  :)

ritter

Just allocate grades randomly... ;)

All this Walton talk has led me to listen to the Viola Concerto again, in William Primrose's 1946 recording under the composer with the Philharmonia :

Waiting for the last movement, allegro moderato, which IIRC is IMHO the highlight of the whole work..

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on January 07, 2015, 12:07:30 PM
Just allocate grades randomly... ;)

All this Walton talk has lead me to listen to the Viola Concerto again, in William Primrose's 1946 recording under the composer with the Philharmonia :

Waiting for the last movement, allegro moderato, which IIRC is IMHO the highlight of the whole work..

Brilliant point about grades although that is what I do anyway  8)

I have that CD too and it is terrific with the best ever version of the Sinfonia Concertante - a very underrated work of Walton's.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2015, 12:10:55 PM
Brilliant point about grades although that is what I do anyway  8)

I have that CD too and it is terrific with the best ever version of the Sinfonia Concertante - a very underrated work of Walton's.

I often have wondered why the Sinfonia Concertante gets so very little record time. It's a great work. I prefer the more up-to-date sonics of the Naxos recording however and it also doesn't hurt that it's a superb performance. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2015, 12:45:44 PM
I often have wondered why the Sinfonia Concertante gets so very little record time. It's a great work. I prefer the more up-to-date sonics of the Naxos recording however and it also doesn't hurt that it's a superb performance. :)

Yes, it's terrific John. I guess that it is quite short and therefore not a 'grand piano concerto' but I find it oddly moving and highly memorable.

ritter

I should revisit the Sinfonia concertante...but for today, my Walton session (the Viola concerto, followed by--as reported in the WAYLTN thread--Anon in love and A Song for the Lord Mayor's table) comes to an end with this little jewel as a sort of encore:

https://www.youtube.com/v/eX4vWSHhdIw

Good night, vandermolen, John, and all fellow GMGers!