Author Topic: Sir William Walton  (Read 45974 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Sir William Walton
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2020, 01:12:14 PM »
I don't have 5 recordings, but I do like this one. Conductor, orchestra, and chorus are all excellent, but Bryn Terfel seals the deal.

--Bruce

I should have mentioned this too. A while since I've heard it. So, thumbs up from me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #361 on: January 28, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
James Judd is a good conductor, but like you mentioned, hardly one that gets the kind of exposure he deserves. I really like the recording he did of Sculthorpe on Naxos.

He's one of those conductors where you go "oh that's a good performance" and then notice he's conducting....  Here's a few of his discs I rate highly... [NB: Bernstein!!]

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninov, Glazunov, Popov, B. Tchaikovsky, Shchedrin, Dvořák, Martinů, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Barber, W. Schuman, Copland, Rouse, Bloch, Vaughan Williams, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2020, 06:55:14 PM »
He's one of those conductors where you go "oh that's a good performance" and then notice he's conducting....  Here's a few of his discs I rate highly... [NB: Bernstein!!]

I own all of those recordings except for the Elgar, but I own way too much Elgar as it is. :)
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »

Here are another couple which I enjoy:
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2020, 03:37:38 AM »
He's recorded a first-rate Planets too

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2020, 04:42:28 AM »
He's recorded a first-rate Planets too

I ordered that yesterday - its been in my basket for ages but quite expensive - then a cheap copy popped up.  Looking forward to hearing it..... (his Alpine Symphony is rather good too)