Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on January 27, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
I don't have 5 recordings, but I do like this one. Conductor, orchestra, and chorus are all excellent, but Bryn Terfel seals the deal.

[asin]B00000427W[/asin]

--Bruce

I should have mentioned this too. A while since I've heard it. So, thumbs up from me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2020, 12:00:02 PM
James Judd is a good conductor, but like you mentioned, hardly one that gets the kind of exposure he deserves. I really like the recording he did of Sculthorpe on Naxos.

He's one of those conductors where you go "oh that's a good performance" and then notice he's conducting....  Here's a few of his discs I rate highly... [NB: Bernstein!!]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 28, 2020, 01:42:06 PM
He's one of those conductors where you go "oh that's a good performance" and then notice he's conducting....  Here's a few of his discs I rate highly... [NB: Bernstein!!]

I own all of those recordings except for the Elgar, but I own way too much Elgar as it is. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 28, 2020, 01:42:06 PM

Here are another couple which I enjoy:
[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

He's recorded a first-rate Planets too

Roasted Swan

Quote from: aukhawk on January 29, 2020, 02:37:38 AM
He's recorded a first-rate Planets too

I ordered that yesterday - its been in my basket for ages but quite expensive - then a cheap copy popped up.  Looking forward to hearing it..... (his Alpine Symphony is rather good too)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2020, 02:49:30 PM
Great stuff, Jeffrey. I really enjoy that Carl Davis recording. I don't own the original issue of the Davis recording, but the reissue found in this great set, which is OOP:

I have the box and love it. It seems to me that the Decca recordings are more popular though I maybe wrong.
Also, there are two (maybe more) recordings titled Walton Conducts Walton. Any opinion about their quality and/or Walton's conducting ability?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on June 23, 2020, 02:50:54 PM
I have the box and love it. It seems to me that the Decca recordings are more popular though I maybe wrong.
Also, there are two (maybe more) recordings titled Walton Conducts Walton. Any opinion about their quality and/or Walton's conducting ability?

Yes, a great box set, indeed, although not every performance is top-drawer. I'm not sure about those Walton Conducts Walton recordings. You'll probably have to ask Jeffrey (Vandermolen), Roasted Swan or Cesar (SymphonicAddict) about those recordings. I haven't heard them.

vandermolen

Quote from: Forever Brett Kavanaugh on June 23, 2020, 02:50:54 PM
The only box set I know entitled 'Walton conducts Walton' is the one below on LP. I never owned the box but have the recordings on individual or double CDs. I think that Walton was a fine conductor of his own music so I don't think that you'll go wrong there. It depends a bit on your attitude to historical recordings but I rather like them:

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 10:09:37 PM
The only box set I know entitled 'Walton conducts Walton' is the one below on LP. I never owned the box but have the recordings on individual or double CDs. I think that Walton was a fine conductor of his own music so I don't think that you'll go wrong there. It depends a bit on your attitude to historical recordings but I rather like them:

There's this 4 CD set, which I bought many years ago (it's OOP, but used copies are available--in Europe at least):

A nice overview of Walton's work and conducting. To be complemented with the scenes from Troilus and Cressida, which he recorded with Schwarzkopf and Lewis.

Sorry about the poor image (I couldn't find a better one on the web).

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on June 23, 2020, 11:33:12 PM
There's this 4 CD set, which I bought many years ago (it's OOP, but used copies are available--in Europe at least):

A nice overview of Walton's work and conducting. To be complemented with the scenes from Troilus and Cressida, which he recorded with Schwarzkopf and Lewis.

Sorry about the poor image (I couldn't find a better one on the web).

Yes, 'The Walton Edition' was a very fine CD set which I bought when it first came out. If you can find it at a reasonable price that would be an excellent choice.

Papy Oli

You also have a Walton conducts Walton on Lyrita as well, with some less famous pieces but quite good all the same. Playing it as we speak.

Olivier

vers la flamme

I've never heard a note of Walton in my life. Where would be a good place to start?

DaveF

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 24, 2020, 02:38:52 AM
I've never heard a note of Walton in my life. Where would be a good place to start?

1st symphony - Previn and the LSO.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Papy Oli

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 24, 2020, 02:38:52 AM

..And the Viola Concerto.
Olivier

vandermolen

Totally agree about the 1st Symphony and the Viola Concerto although, personally, I would choose Mackerras or Bryden Thomson rather than Previn for the symphony.

I like these two albums - both double CD sets:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 10:09:37 PM

It seems that there are 3-4 cds titled Walton conducts Walton. I checked two of them on YT and they sounded good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=walton+conducts+walton&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS835US835&hl=en-US&prmd=nimv&sxsrf=ALeKk008WSgKtdKcKAxf6A7FIqFUAnBsGw:1593011742292&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjAkpaY35rqAhUEJt8KHbgfCoUQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=1366&bih=905

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 24, 2020, 02:29:45 AM
You also have a Walton conducts Walton on Lyrita as well, with some less famous pieces but quite good all the same. Playing it as we speak.

I like the recording!
Capriccio Burlesco sounds great.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Another one (good recording as well)!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2020, 03:35:41 AM
Totally agree about the 1st Symphony and the Viola Concerto although, personally, I would choose Mackerras or Bryden Thomson rather than Previn for the symphony.

I like these two albums - both double CD sets:

How would you rank the Decca Litton? Thanks.