Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Listening to the variations on Hindemith tonight . . .
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2015, 04:56:58 PM
Listening to the variations on Hindemith tonight . . .
Great work. Which recording? I like the Szell version very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on September 21, 2015, 03:08:22 PM
yup, the Szell
Good to hear. That is a great CD with Symphony 2 and the Partita all in best ever recorded performances in my opinion.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Bumping up this thread. Am currently greatly enjoying this super double CD. Excellent recordings and performances and great value. If you only want one (actually two) Walton CD this would be a good choice as it features his greatest orchestral scores:
[asin]B008W5TDSU[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 16, 2016, 01:03:00 AM
Bumping up this thread. Am currently greatly enjoying this super double CD. Excellent recordings and performances and great value. If you only want one (actually two) Walton CD this would be a good choice as it features his greatest orchestral scores:
[asin]B008W5TDSU[/asin]

After many years of being on the fence with Walton, I have to say now I'm not really a fan of his music. There's something missing inside of it. It seems to me that so much of his music is surface with no kind of emotional depth. There are a few works I really enjoy like Symphony No. 1, the Violin Concerto, Sinfonia Concertante, and the Hindemith Variations. These works are the only ones I've really been taken by. I know you're not a particularly big fan of Britten, Jeffrey, but, for me, Britten is the best Brit composer of that generation (even though there's about an 11 year difference in age between Walton and Britten).

cilgwyn

I must say I tend to agree with what MI has written here. There I was trying to think why I'm not attracted to his music as much as I feel I should be,and there it is spelled out in front of me. Incidentally,I'm listening to a s/h cassette of Britten's own recording of his Spring Symphony,right now. I love this. In fact,I like allot of his music. I've got the Previn recording on cd. We all like different things,though. Rumour has it,some people even like Joseph Holbrooke!! ??? ;D

vandermolen

Thank you John and cilgwyn for your thoughtful responses. I agree that Walton has his weaknesses and many do not find his music especially engaging. For me there are a few works I am really gripped by, most notably Symphony 1, the Viola Concerto, the Sinfonia Concertante and the Henry V film music. I am coming to appreciate Symphony 2 and the Hindemith Variations more and enjoy the 'As you Like It'. Film music which is very engaging.

cilgwyn

I'm ll have a listen to that emi cd of his First and Second symphonies soon! I think the Second is conducted by Sargent,and I think (I may be wrong) I might have bought the cd after reading one of your posts. I also have the famous Previn one. We'll see how I go? I think it is a powerful symphony. I'm not disputing that. It's just I find more depth in,for example,Vaughan Williams or say,Bax. Or even going back a bit further,Parry!! That said,I really do need to have a good listen to those symphonies again.

Correction! I looked it up now. Sargent conducting the First! Previn the Second. Sounds very interesting!! Hm!

cilgwyn

I've found the cd. I'm enjoying Sargent's performance now! I've also been reading your comments,vandermolen,underneath the cd,on Amazon!

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2007, 05:03:24 AM
Symphony 1 is my favourite (I have over 20 different versions on CD  :o). For a budget version I prefer Adrian Leaper's recording with the Orchestra of Grand Canary on Arte Nova to the Naxos version. Boult's unavailable Pye recording is a favourite performance, although the recording quality is poor. Hamilton Harty's 1930s premiere recording (Dutton) is a must. Sargent made a very good recording for EMI (unavailable). Walton's own EMI recording is good. Best modern recordings are by Bryden Thomson (Chandos), Ashkenazy (Decca) and Handley (EMI), pictured above. There was a v good Fremaux performance. I don't like the much admired Previn version (actually I prefer his later RPO version to the more famous earlier one).

As to other recommendations, the CD below is a favourite; a great disc:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walton-Scenes-Henry-Richard-III/dp/B00004LCB6/ref=sr_1_3/202-9539072-0883040?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1184331299&sr=1-3
Interesting! I took the wrong Previn to the charity shop!! ??? ;D

cilgwyn

I'm eating at least some of my words now. I AM enjoying listening to this!

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 16, 2016, 02:30:58 PM
I'm eating at least some of my words now. I AM enjoying listening to this!

Spoken like a gentleman!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

The famous recording of 2 is the Szell. Justly famous too. Usually coupled with the Hindemith Variations, equally splendidly done.

I like a core of Walton very much, especially 1, the concerti (which are all masterpieces and his best stuff) the quintet, and Feast. The Henry V with reciter really is marvellous too.  All the chamber music is good. I certainly don't know any better concerti for Viola!

Heck148

Quote from: Ken B on December 16, 2016, 05:31:24 PM
The famous recording of 2 is the Szell. Justly famous too. Usually coupled with the Hindemith Variations, equally splendidly done.

The Partita for Orchestra is on that disc as well  - CBS Masterworks Portrait" disc. another fine performance...tough piece!!

cilgwyn

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 16, 2016, 02:44:25 PM
Spoken like a gentleman!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
And still listening,right now! :-[ ::) ;D I knew I shouldn't have posted that when I posted it!! It's those  'jazzy' syncopations or whatever you composers call them? The feeling of sheer orchestral power. I love his slow movements. The Second sounds just as good to my ears. No emotion? Actually,yes. I can see what MI means. It's restrained,in a stiff upper lip British sort of way. But it's there;and like Elgar,probably all the more powerful because of it.
Come to think of it,I liked some of those Overtures,too.  I'm sure I even liked Scapino?! No third symphony,though. Nothing in the back of his sock drawer then for someone to complete? (They're never as good,anyway!) I'll have to find something similar? The John Veale Dutton cd's on the side at the ready. I've only got two Walton cds!!
:( :(

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 16, 2016, 01:54:28 PM
I'm ll have a listen to that emi cd of his First and Second symphonies soon! I think the Second is conducted by Sargent,and I think (I may be wrong) I might have bought the cd after reading one of your posts. I also have the famous Previn one. We'll see how I go? I think it is a powerful symphony. I'm not disputing that. It's just I find more depth in,for example,Vaughan Williams or say,Bax. Or even going back a bit further,Parry!! That said,I really do need to have a good listen to those symphonies again.

Correction! I looked it up now. Sargent conducting the First! Previn the Second. Sounds very interesting!! Hm!

The EMI disc is Sargent doing No. 1 and Previn No. 2 unless it is the CD with Mackerras doing both also on EMI. I prefer the Sargent to the famous Previn version. Most people prefer the first to the second Previn version, as with his recordings of Shostakovich's 8th Symphony.
Sorry - I've just read your later points. I like the Partita too, especially in the old Szell (I think - Ormandy actually) version.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 16, 2016, 02:19:18 PM
I've found the cd. I'm enjoying Sargent's performance now! I've also been reading your comments,vandermolen,underneath the cd,on Amazon!

Good to know.  :)

cilgwyn

Yes,it's still on!!! ;D I'm going to have to look up why you don't like the 'famous' Previn account. It's not exactly as long as the HB thread,so I should be back before I die of old age?!! (If I get there!) I must admit there is definitely one thing I didn't like about the Previn cd,and the cassette version I once owned. The Wasps! It seems such a naff choice of fill up. Not that I hate the Wasps Overture;but it just doesn't go with the Walton. I actually bought the later Previn cd because it was just Walton,and no blinking Wasps!! Then I needed to move house,so I had to get rid of some stuff,so off it went!! Someone's probably enjoying it somewhere,right now?! I know you can skip & program tracks;but I just like to bung a cd on!! ;D

Not having any other Walton cds,bar the Previn you dislike,I might just put that Veale symphony on,now. Unless the postman has something.............?!!!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 17, 2016, 01:33:24 AM
Yes,it's still on!!! ;D I'm going to have to look up why you don't like the 'famous' Previn account. It's not exactly as long as the HB thread,so I should be back before I die of old age?!! (If I get there!) I must admit there is definitely one thing I didn't like about the Previn cd,and the cassette version I once owned. The Wasps! It seems such a naff choice of fill up. Not that I hate the Wasps Overture;but it just doesn't go with the Walton. I actually bought the later Previn cd because it was just Walton,and no blinking Wasps!! Then I needed to move house,so I had to get rid of some stuff,so off it went!! Someone's probably enjoying it somewhere,right now?! I know you can skip & program tracks;but I just like to bung a cd on!! ;D

Not having any other Walton cds,bar the Previn you dislike,I might just put that Veale symphony on,now. Unless the postman has something.............?!!!
The RCA Previn lacks, IMHO, urgency at the start - that oboe theme should sound tentative, fragile and expectant - it just sounds too matter of fact in my view. The original Boult version is much better. I can't stand The Wasps.