Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

At last I've found a recording of the Symphony No. 2 that has convinced me at the point of blowing me away:

A high-spirited performance with plenty of details and unsurpassed sonics. Now I've come to appreciate it with a strong sense of conviction. Brabbins and the BBC S.O. give all of them on this fiery fruition. This rendition did click on me and I consider the work almost on par with the more heroic No. 1.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 20, 2018, 07:02:35 PM
At last I've found a recording of the Symphony No. 2 that has convinced me at the point of blowing me away:

A high-spirited performance with plenty of details and unsurpassed sonics. Now I've come to appreciate it with a strong sense of conviction. Brabbins and the BBC S.O. give all of them on this fiery fruition. This rendition did click on me and I consider the work almost on par with the more heroic No. 1.
How interesting Cesar! I just played this recording a couple of days ago and realised how fine it is. I agree that this recording of Symphony 2 is the best available and the Symphony 1 is excellent as well. Seeing that the Walton thread had risen back to the surface I was thinking that I must enthuse wildly about the Brabbins Hyperion CD and post an image of it - but no need to now! Like the cover painting as well.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2018, 10:32:05 PM
How interesting Cesar! I just played this recording a couple of days ago and realised how fine it is. I agree that this recording of Symphony 2 is the best available and the Symphony 1 is excellent as well. Seeing that the Walton thread had risen back to the surface I was thinking that I must enthuse wildly about the Brabbins Hyperion CD and post an image of it - but no need to now! Like the cover painting as well.
:)

Yes, I agree. This colorful cover art conveys an agreeable impression and makes the music even more appealing.

vandermolen

Today I've listened to the recording of Symphony 1 by Kiril Karabits with the Bournemouth SO. Also excellent with just the right degree of nervous tension at the start. For some reason I often like recordings featuring this orchestra (Shostakovich Symphony 11 with Berglund for example and Malcolm Arnold's own recording of his First Symphony, which is one of my favourites of his cycle). I don't hold to view that the last movement of Walton's First Symphony is some kind of anti-climax as it was composed some time after the first three movements. On the contrary, I think that it is a fine 'despair turning to defiance' conclusion to a great symphony. Actually I don't think that any of the other movements are quite as good as the first movement and, in some respects, I prefer the slow movement of Symphony 2 to that of Symphony 1.
[asin]B074BLZCG7[/asin]

SymphonicAddict

That Karabits performance is a good choice, it has good playing but I find it underwhelming I'm afraid, not as exciting as Haitink or Thomson. For me, the sheer courage is a key factor in this score.

However, speaking in terms of variety, these symphonies are extremely well served on recordings and there are different conductings and playings for every taste.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 22, 2018, 08:48:39 PM
That Karabits performance is a good choice, it has good playing but I find it underwhelming I'm afraid, not as exciting as Haitink or Thomson. For me, the sheer courage is a key factor in this score.

However, speaking in terms of variety, these symphonies are extremely well served on recordings and there are different conductings and playings for every taste.
Thomson's is, I agree, one of the very best. He was rather underrated (and I know that is an overused word, not least by myself) conductor - his Bax and Vaughan Williams cycles for example are very fine in my view.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2018, 01:00:40 AM
Thomson's is, I agree, one of the very best. He was rather underrated (and I know that is an overused word, not least by myself) conductor - his Bax and Vaughan Williams cycles for example are very fine in my view.

The Bax's Symphony No. 1 in Thomson's cycle is particularly impressive. A terrific cycle indeed. I would add his Martinu and, lately, Nielsen cycle on Chandos. Both are not the last word in performances, but I've come to appreciate them enormously. By the way, Thomson is one of my favorite conductors!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 24, 2018, 02:14:46 PM
The Bax's Symphony No. 1 in Thomson's cycle is particularly impressive. A terrific cycle indeed. I would add his Martinu and, lately, Nielsen cycle on Chandos. Both are not the last word in performances, but I've come to appreciate them enormously. By the way, Thomson is one of my favorite conductors!

Me too Cesar. I also have the fine Martinu and Nielsen cycles. His recording of VW Symphony 6 on Chandos was the No.1 choice in a book I have of the 'Best 1000 Classical CDs'.

vandermolen

I recently acquired this second-hand as I'd enjoyed the same forces recording of Walton's Symphony 1. The version of Symphony 2 here is fine but not as urgently incisive as the recent Brabbins recording on Hyperion. However the Viola Concerto is given a wonderful performance - as good as any I know. I much prefer it to the Violin Concerto.
[asin]B00O43D92U[/asin]

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2018, 08:22:43 AM
I recently acquired this second-hand as I'd enjoyed the same forces recording of Walton's Symphony 1. The version of Symphony 2 here is fine but not as urgently incisive as the recent Brabbins recording on Hyperion. However the Viola Concerto is given a wonderful performance - as good as any I know. I much prefer it to the Violin Concerto.
[asin]B00O43D92U[/asin]
Thanks i downloaded it. It states on the NHSO site that release is part of a three volume release. I  didn't see the 3rd disc released.

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on October 04, 2018, 05:11:32 AM
Thanks i downloaded it. It states on the NHSO site that release is part of a three volume release. I  didn't see the 3rd disc released.

My pleasure. I'm not aware of a third release either. Maybe it will feature the Cello Concerto, if it ever appears, and the fine Sinfonia-Concertante for Piano and Orchestra, which I like very much.

Mirror Image

I figured I would resurrect this thread and cross-post this from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2019, 04:59:09 PM
I bought some Walton, too, Andre and one other recording:

The Violin Sonata made a rather large impression on me when I heard it years ago. My understanding was it was written under dire circumstances. Walton lost a woman who was a romantic companion during the writing of the piece, so this gives the piece an added emotional weight. Of course, I absolutely adore the Violin Concerto and have heard Chung's performance numerous times. I have it in another iteration, but can't find it at the moment and don't feel like looking for it.

Mirror Image

Looking through my Walton collection, it's rather large. I forgot I owned the EMI (Warner Classics) Collector's Edition. This must be a treasure trove of great performances. I also own almost all of the Chandos series with the exception of some that I didn't want. Can't wait to get back into Walton and it seems I've got a lot to keep me busy.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2019, 09:47:37 PM
Looking through my Walton collection, it's rather large. I forgot I owned the EMI (Warner Classics) Collector's Edition. This must be a treasure trove of great performances. I also own almost all of the Chandos series with the exception of some that I didn't want. Can't wait to get back into Walton and it seems I've got a lot to keep me busy.

Yes, that Warner set should keep you very entertained John! It's a great set. On a separate note I much prefer the Viola Concerto to the Violin Concerto.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 15, 2019, 10:38:36 PM
Yes, that Warner set should keep you very entertained John! It's a great set. On a separate note I much prefer the Viola Concerto to the Violin Concerto.

Yes, I know you prefer the Viola Concerto to the Violin Concerto. You've mentioned this many times before, Jeffrey. ;)

Edit: I also own the Naxos Walton series which was 'okay' but not up to the one on Chandos, IMHO.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 20, 2018, 07:02:35 PM

That is a great recording right there. I should revisit it at some juncture. Symphony No. 2 always struck me as one of the more underrated works in Walton's oeuvre.

Mirror Image