Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on June 21, 2021, 08:54:50 AM
I have the 1st symphony under Boult (Somm), Haitink (EMI), Davis (LSO), and Daniel (Naxos).

What other version(s) should I look for as an alternative pov ?

I like Leaper for unexpected insights.  No mentions yet for Mackerras on EMI with the LPO - also coupled with an excellent No.2 (LSO).  Karabits was OK for me but nothing remarkable....

VonStupp

I have the 1st symphony under Boult (Somm), Haitink (EMI), Davis (LSO), and Daniel (Naxos).

I will second the Previn on RCA, which I just posted yesterday.

Quote from: VonStupp on June 20, 2021, 10:46:14 AM
Sir William Walton
Symphony 1 in b-flat minor

Ralph Vaughan Williams
The Wasps: Overture

LSO - André Previn
(1966 & 1971)

A world beater, for sure.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 21, 2021, 08:07:27 AM
AFAIK Karajan didn't record Walton's 1st commercially, but a concert performance with an italian orchestra is included in the Great Conductors series:

Yes, that's the one!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

The Leaper with the Orchestra of Grand Canary is surprisingly good, but I'd recommend the Thomson recording on Chandos. Like John I'm less keen on the Litton. The Hamilton Harty (1935) is an absolute must - it always has me on the edge of my seat and has a unique atmosphere. Sargent and Boult (PYE) are my other favourites. Also a thumbs up for Mackerras and Brabbins. I prefer Previn's RPO recording to the more famous LSO recording. If I had to choose one for you I would probably go for Mackerras which is a fine version of both symphonies:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Thanks for the suggestions, gents !  :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I received the Horenstein SY01 disc. I like it a lot. The musical scope is much wider and the music is more vivid. Some passages and their aesthetics I haven't previously paid much attention to are breathing and shining now (or having different meanings.) Overall, the music is very dynamic and colorful, and it conveys more tensions. The quality of recording sound is somewhere between good and vg.

Also, currently enjoying this disc of cello concerto. The performance of the cellist is excellent with nice tone and dexterity. The orchestra is good/vg, if not as good as the Weimar orchestra in the other recording. The Hindemith Cello Concerto is vg as well.

Mirror Image

The Walton Cello Concerto still gives me some problems --- I just can't really get onboard with it like I can his other concerti. For me, this concerto isn't Walton at his best.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 25, 2021, 07:34:32 AM
The Walton Cello Concerto still gives me some problems --- I just can't really get onboard with it like I can his other concerti. For me, this concerto isn't Walton at his best.

Maybe just no chemistry bet. you and the cello concerto, like me and quiche.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 25, 2021, 05:43:38 AM
I received the Horenstein SY01 disc. I like it a lot. The musical scope is much wider and the music is more vivid. Some passages and their aesthetics I haven't previously paid much attention to are breathing and shining now (or having different meanings.) Overall, the music is very dynamic and colorful, and it conveys more tensions. The quality of recording sound is somewhere between good and vg.

Also, currently enjoying this disc of cello concerto. The performance of the cellist is excellent with nice tone and dexterity. The orchestra is good/vg, if not as good as the Weimar orchestra in the other recording. The Hindemith Cello Concerto is vg as well.

The Hindemith is of course a clever coupling as it provides the theme for Walton's "Variations on a theme of Hindemith" - another great Walton score.....

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 25, 2021, 11:30:31 AM
The Hindemith is of course a clever coupling as it provides the theme for Walton's "Variations on a theme of Hindemith" - another great Walton score.....
+1

SonicMan46

Just went through the last dozen pages or so of this thread - at present I have the recordings shown below, PLUS just ordered a used copy of the String Quartets from Amazon USA - I know Walton wrote a LOT for films (true of many 20th century British composers), but I don't collect that music despite watching many films and loving the music (one exception, I do have several Korngold CDs). 

Now I'm not interested in adding any vocal/choral works, but noticed a lot of piano music in the list HERE - is this part of his oeuvre worth exploring (I have been adding more Ireland, Bridge, Bliss an maybe one or several more in this genre).  Thanks - Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2021, 07:23:45 AM
Just went through the last dozen pages or so of this thread - at present I have the recordings shown below, PLUS just ordered a used copy of the String Quartets from Amazon USA - I know Walton wrote a LOT for films (true of many 20th century British composers), but I don't collect that music despite watching many films and loving the music (one exception, I do have several Korngold CDs). 

Now I'm not interested in adding any vocal/choral works, but noticed a lot of piano music in the list HERE - is this part of his oeuvre worth exploring (I have been adding more Ireland, Bridge, Bliss an maybe one or several more in this genre).  Thanks - Dave :)

You may want to check out the excellent Chandos series and see what you're missing and would like to add. I was going to suggest a recording of Belshazzar's Feast, but I see you don't like vocal music. :-\ FYI, this is one of Walton's best works, IMHO.

vandermolen

This one is not to be missed IMO:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 08, 2021, 07:42:05 AM
You may want to check out the excellent Chandos series and see what you're missing and would like to add. I was going to suggest a recording of Belshazzar's Feast, but I see you don't like vocal music. :-\ FYI, this is one of Walton's best works, IMHO.

Quote from: vandermolen on August 08, 2021, 07:48:06 AM
This one is not to be missed IMO:

Thanks John & Jeffrey for your comments above - although I own a lot of medieval/Rennaissance/Baroque vocal music, I rarely buy or listen to much more recent than those periods (NOW, if non-classical 20th century Americana is included, another story!) - so despite Walton's impressive output in the areas of film and vocal music, I'd rather add other recordings to the limited space still available to me - BUT, I'll take a look on Spotify and play some of this music, if present there.  Dave :)

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2021, 08:58:05 AM
Thanks John & Jeffrey for your comments above - although I own a lot of medieval/Rennaissance/Baroque vocal music, I rarely buy or listen to much more recent than those periods (NOW, if non-classical 20th century Americana is included, another story!) - so despite Walton's impressive output in the areas of film and vocal music, I'd rather add other recordings to the limited space still available to me - BUT, I'll take a look on Spotify and play some of this music, if present there.  Dave :)
Fair enough Dave, although you could, alternatively, investigate this (IMO) marvellous disc (usually available quite inexpensively). It includes Olivier's own Henry V recording plus much else besides. This ranks, with me, alongside Walton's 1st Symphony and the Viola Concerto as amongst his greatest work:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2021, 07:23:45 AM

There is NO substantial Walton piano music.  Just transcriptions of the odd thing - Facade and the like - great fun (especially the 2 piano versions) but nothing original of any stature.  Odd since his piano writing within things such as the Violin Sonata or Piano quartet is perfectly good.  But he was no natural pianist like Ireland or Bax or indeed Moeran.  The Chnados edition is extensive and generally the performances are at least good and often very good.  The film music series is excellent (although some people don't like the Shakespeare scores with speeches interpolated.  The 2 ballets - Wise Virgins and The Quest are good without being vintage Walton - I like the former which are arrangements of Bach.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 08, 2021, 12:53:57 PM
There is NO substantial Walton piano music.  Just transcriptions of the odd thing - Facade and the like - great fun (especially the 2 piano versions) but nothing original of any stature.  Odd since his piano writing within things such as the Violin Sonata or Piano quartet is perfectly good.  But he was no natural pianist like Ireland or Bax or indeed Moeran.  The Chnados edition is extensive and generally the performances are at least good and often very good.  The film music series is excellent (although some people don't like the Shakespeare scores with speeches interpolated.  The 2 ballets - Wise Virgins and The Quest are good without being vintage Walton - I like the former which are arrangements of Bach.

Thanks RS for your usual excellent and knowledgeable comments - I've been looking at the Chandos offerings and much there that would likely not be of interest to me, e.g. voice insertions are usually irritating to my ears, regardless of who may be doing the speaking (absolutely nothing against Sir Larry Olivier - own a number of his films but no Shakespeare).  As already mentioned, I love good film music while watching the movies but own few and not much interest to listen on its own - just so much more in my CD collection that I prefer to put on for a spin.  Thanks again.  Dave :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2021, 01:12:48 PM
Thanks RS for your usual excellent and knowledgeable comments - I've been looking at the Chandos offerings and much there that would likely not be of interest to me, e.g. voice insertions are usually irritating to my ears, regardless of who may be doing the speaking (absolutely nothing against Sir Larry Olivier - own a number of his films but no Shakespeare).  As already mentioned, I love good film music while watching the movies but own few and not much interest to listen on its own - just so much more in my CD collection that I prefer to put on for a spin.  Thanks again.  Dave :)

Dave - more a film buff thing and something we've touched on a few times here..... the story behind Walton's score for The Battle of Britain is fascinating (and its a great score too).  Walton's old mate Sir Larry is in the film (and very good he is too).  Walton produces a score but its deemed not enough music to fill an LP/OST.  So the producers dump Walton and bring in "safe pair of hands" Ron Goodwin.  Goodwin has NO IDEA this is happening!  Sir Larry goes all Luvvy and threatens to have his name removed from the credits unless Walton's name is retained in the film.  The compromise is that the final "Battle in the Air" sequence by Walton is kept in the film (actually conducted by another old mate of Walton - Malcolm Arnold).  The story goes that Walton ran out of time and ideas for this section so Arnold wrote/orchestrated AND conducted musch of what you hear - it does sound very Arnold-esque.

For many years it was assumed that the original session recordings of the Walton score were lost - not so.  The bit I love is that the early DVD release of Battle of Britain (NOT the blu-ray - crying shame....) gave the viewer the option of watching the film with either the Walton score (complete) or the Goodwin/Walton hybrid.  Its a fascinating study in the emotional impact of music in a film.  Take the opening credits - Walton wrote a "Crown Imperial" noble British march and Goodwin a kind of jaunty Germanic one.  If you can (and are interested!) try and see this..

vandermolen

Agree with all RS's points. Before I give up completely with my Walton Film Music recommendations let me recommend this one which features no narration in Henry V. I much prefer Sargent's Henry V Suite to Muir Mathieson's as the Sargent features the moving and atmospheric 'Prelude - The Globe'. This is the same CD with different covers:

Mirror Image

A huge thumbs up for the Carl Davis recording, especially of the As You Like It Suite and Henry V Suite. The Waterfall Scene from the As You Like It Suite is up there with the best of Walton, IMHO.