National favourites

Started by Owen David, May 23, 2023, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen David

I listen to Radio Swiss Classic and I've noticed that their favourite classical composers don't quite match up with the UK perspective. I'd say in the UK, the top 5 might be Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Elgar and Vaughan Williams. Or you might subsitute Bach for Mozart...The Swiss seem to particularly like Czerny.

I was wondering what would be the Top 5 Classical Composers in any of the following countries:

USA, Japan, China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia and Poland.

Anyone able to hazard a guess? I just chose some big countries, but feel free to give the perspective in smaller nations.

DavidW

In local concerts here the most frequently performed composers are Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Tchaikovsky.  If it is baroque it is rarely anything but Bach.  For 20th century, Ravel and Rachmaninov are performed the most often. 

pjme

Quote from: DavidW on May 23, 2023, 05:08:43 PMIn local concerts here the most frequently performed composers are Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Tchaikovsky.  If it is baroque it is rarely anything but Bach.  For 20th century, Ravel and Rachmaninov are performed the most often. 

idem ditto for Belgium. Add: Disney- Moricone - Indiana Jones etc./film scores/suites - / Einaudi/Max Richter/Vivaldi purée / Games scores....
In the Netherlands the programming is slightly more adventurous/ less puerile.

DavidW

Quote from: pjme on May 26, 2023, 04:14:24 AMidem ditto for Belgium. Add: Disney- Moricone - Indiana Jones etc./film scores/suites - / Einaudi/Max Richter/Vivaldi purée / Games scores....
In the Netherlands the programming is slightly more adventurous/ less puerile.

Oh yes I didn't even count the pop concerts which here are 40% of the season!  No surprise, I've stopped buying season passes.

lunar22

I'm not aware of any differences between European countries as to the most played composers in orchestral concerts. Everywhere Beethoven and Mozart dominate with plenty of Mahler, Brahms, Bruckner and Tchaikovsky. The core repertoire -- esp. regarding concertos -- is pretty small with the same old stuff being trotted out over and over again.

Florestan

Quote from: lunar22 on June 03, 2023, 08:51:32 AMI'm not aware of any differences between European countries as to the most played composers in orchestral concerts. Everywhere Beethoven and Mozart dominate with plenty of Mahler, Brahms, Bruckner and Tchaikovsky. The core repertoire -- esp. regarding concertos -- is pretty small with the same old stuff being trotted out over and over again.

This, in spades.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Biffo

Before Covid struck I used visit France fairly regularly. Most of my radio listening was done in the car so this not particularly scientific and relying on memory. I was a bit surprised by the lack of French music; the most played seemed to be Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven.

Roy Bland

in Italy when it comes to contemporary music everyone runs away

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 04, 2023, 04:10:06 AMin Italy when it comes to contemporary music everyone runs away
Unfortunately true, I have to concur about that.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Owen David

Quote from: lunar22 on June 03, 2023, 08:51:32 AMI'm not aware of any differences between European countries as to the most played composers in orchestral concerts. Everywhere Beethoven and Mozart dominate with plenty of Mahler, Brahms, Bruckner and Tchaikovsky. The core repertoire -- esp. regarding concertos -- is pretty small with the same old stuff being trotted out over and over again.

Well I started off by referencing radio play which I think is a more accurate guide to public taste in a particular country.  Concert choices are far less responsive to popular taste I would suggest. A well known orchestra will always toss out a few "choc drops" to the populace while getting on with playing what they (as opposed to the public) feel they should play. BTW I don't think I've ever heard Bruckner on Radio Swiss Classic and that station aren't exactly a classical "pops" station. So this idea Bruckner is European-wide I don't accept.

lunar22

I don't really know Swiss Classic but looking through their programme list, it looks as if it's orientated towards the more popular classics - perhaps not quite as much so as Classic FM but somewhat in that direction. Of course Bruckner will not appear with any frequency on such a station -- his symphonies are too long and serious apart from anything else. But they do appear with monotonous regularity in concert programmes in the UK and Germanic/Nordic countries at any rate. It goes without saying that the generally short pieces or individual movements of mostly not too demanding classics that are played on popular classical radio stations are different from what is given in the concert hall. So we're not necessarily in disagreement.

Owen David

Quote from: lunar22 on June 04, 2023, 11:34:04 PMI don't really know Swiss Classic but looking through their programme list, it looks as if it's orientated towards the more popular classics - perhaps not quite as much so as Classic FM but somewhat in that direction. Of course Bruckner will not appear with any frequency on such a station -- his symphonies are too long and serious apart from anything else. But they do appear with monotonous regularity in concert programmes in the UK and Germanic/Nordic countries at any rate. It goes without saying that the generally short pieces or individual movements of mostly not too demanding classics that are played on popular classical radio stations are different from what is given in the concert hall. So we're not necessarily in disagreement.

I'd say Radio Swiss Classic broadcasts not overly-demanding classical music but at the same time they ration the obvious favourites (they use brief - maybe 10 sec -  excerpts from the favourites every 15 mins or so to keep people listening but they don't often play them in full!).

I only have a vague notion of Bruckner but I have a sneaking suspicion he gives the orchestra a good work-out - each and every section - and that's probably why he's popular with orchestras but not so much non-orchestra people.

joachim

In France, the first composers interpreted are Beethoven, Mozart and JS Bach, that's for sure.
Then, I think first and foremost of Tchaikovsky, then perhaps Chopin, Schubert, Liszt. But in my opinion no French in the very first ones (nor Rameau, Berlioz or Ravel).