Great Works You've Come to Appreciate Later in Life

Started by Holden, May 23, 2023, 11:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

At the moment I am listening to the Bach-Busoni Chaconne for the umpteenth time in the last couple of years. As a younger pianist I tried to play it but it didn't resonate with me so I put it aside forever.

A chance FB post of the Kissin performance on YT with sheet music got me listening to it for the first time and it's become one of my desert island works. It never fails to move me. I'm listening to the Michelangeli 1949 performance of this in London (also with sheet music) and am blown away with this performance also.

What works did you discover and love in the later parts of your listening journey?
Cheers

Holden

DaveF

Goldberg Variations for me - perhaps I didn't have the patience earlier in life, or perhaps I was yet to hear András Schiff speak out loud and bold.  (Mahan Esfahani has become something of a favourite on the harpsichord, too.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Jo498

I'll see, I am beyond the halfway point unless I live to 100, but somehow hope I am not yet "later in life"...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Symphonic Addict

Verdi's operas. At first I had many prejudices about these works, it wasn't until I got around to listening to them to realize there's glorious and masterful music in most of them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

Vaughan Williams' symphonies; they didn't strongly impress me when I listened to them for the first time and I kept them in a corner for years, but after revisiting them with deeper attention, I caught there was much more substance behind that apparent simplicity they showed; such awesome compositions.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2023, 11:52:53 AMsymphonies by Brahms.
Although I'm certainly no spring chicken, it would seem I'm not yet old enough to learn to appreciate those....  :D

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2023, 06:11:07 PMHa! Really, Jeffrey? That's interesting. 
Yes, especially No.2 Cesar. My brother has been trying to convert me for years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2023, 06:26:23 PMYes, especially No.2 Cesar. My brother has been trying to convert me for years.

Your brother has excellent taste, let me tell you.  ;)

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2023, 06:26:23 PMYes, especially No.2 Cesar. My brother has been trying to convert me for years.

Interesting, as that's the Brahms symphony I would expect you to least appreciate, as it's the one with the least drama and sense of impending doom. ;) What do you think of the 3rd and 4th symphonies? They're such magnificent works, amongst my favorite symphonies of all time.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2023, 07:46:22 PMInteresting, as that's the Brahms symphony I would expect you to least appreciate, as it's the one with the least drama and sense of impending doom. ;) What do you think of the 3rd and 4th symphonies? They're such magnificent works, amongst my favorite symphonies of all time.
He'll never be my favourite compose Kyle but I think that all four symphonies are of a very high standard. 1 and 4 are my other favourites.

On to Schubert Lieder next !!

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2023, 07:30:51 PMYour brother has excellent taste, let me tell you.  ;)

Brahms and Bruckner Cesar  :)