Hello.

Started by ExLapMD, June 03, 2023, 10:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExLapMD

Hi everyone.

First post. New to the forum. I used to listen to classical non-stop throughout high-school and college. Unfortunately, my attention was turned away from it during my early 30's (didn't have time to really listen due to work/school/training). Now I'm in my mid-30's and I realized that more than half a decade has gone by and one of the great loves of my life has been sorely neglected, though not purposefully. So, I'm trying to get back into it since I now have a little more time on my hands to really enjoy it, and some disposable income to have the privilege to listen to it right.

The three B's are my favorite (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms - yes, in this order, forever). I've been on a bit of a Mahler kick over the past few days. The Resurrection holds a special place in my heart and I think it's my favorite of the cycle (I know... many will cry heresy). I just finished listening/watching NY Phil/Gilbert's "A Concert for New York," which for me is one of the most powerful, moving, and beautiful performances of this divine work.

Anyways, I hope to learn from many of you as I continue my forever [Schubert's 8th] journey through the world of classical.

Cheers.

Florestan

Quote from: ExLapMD on June 03, 2023, 10:29:43 AMThe three B's are my favorite (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms - yes, in this order, forever). I've been on a bit of a Mahler kick over the past few days.

A heartily welcome from an avowed antagonist! :D

(Meaning that neither the three B's nor M are my favorites, although I do enjoy their music in moderate doses. I am a Mozart-Rossini-Chopin-Tchaikovsky kind of guy.  :D )

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum, nice to meet you!  :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ExLapMD

Quote from: Florestan on June 03, 2023, 11:10:30 AMA heartily welcome from an avowed antagonist! :D

(Meaning that neither the three B's nor M are my favorites, although I do enjoy their music in moderate doses. I am a Mozart-Rossini-Chopin-Tchaikovsky kind of guy.  :D )

Thanks!

Love all of those guys too.

Was just listening to the Mozart D minor PC (Periah), and the Chopin F minor PC (played by the 2015 Chopin Competition winner, Cho Seong-Jin).

They're just... lower... on my list.

We can't all be right.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ExLapMD on June 03, 2023, 11:55:59 AMWe can't all be right.  ;)

But we all can be friends.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Hello and welcome!  8)
Olivier

DaveF

Welcome - and agree about the 3 Bs - Byrd, Bruckner, Britten ;D

(Although you can't go far wrong with your three, either.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

I recently watched this, perhaps you may enjoy it, too.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Welcome to the Forum,

Some other 'B's' for you:

Bax
Bruckner
Bliss
Brian
Berkeley
Bridge
Busoni
Bantock
Bernstein
 ;D

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

LKB

Quote from: ExLapMD on June 03, 2023, 10:29:43 AMHi everyone.

First post. New to the forum. I used to listen to classical non-stop throughout high-school and college. Unfortunately, my attention was turned away from it during my early 30's (didn't have time to really listen due to work/school/training). Now I'm in my mid-30's and I realized that more than half a decade has gone by and one of the great loves of my life has been sorely neglected, though not purposefully. So, I'm trying to get back into it since I now have a little more time on my hands to really enjoy it, and some disposable income to have the privilege to listen to it right.

The three B's are my favorite (Beethoven, Bach, Brahms - yes, in this order, forever). I've been on a bit of a Mahler kick over the past few days. The Resurrection holds a special place in my heart and I think it's my favorite of the cycle (I know... many will cry heresy). I just finished listening/watching NY Phil/Gilbert's "A Concert for New York," which for me is one of the most powerful, moving, and beautiful performances of this divine work.

Anyways, I hope to learn from many of you as I continue my forever [Schubert's 8th] journey through the world of classical.

Cheers.

As far as I'm concerned, that's about as perfect an initial post as anyone might produce. Welcome! 8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on June 03, 2023, 11:10:30 AMA heartily welcome from an avowed antagonist! :D

You're an S and M type of guy... Schubert and Mozart ;)

DavidW

I know it has been a close to a month ExLapMD but welcome!

Henk

Welcome. Good to have time to enjoy and discover music.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Pohjolas Daughter

And a hearty hello from me too.  Apologies that I missed your initial posting 'til now.   :-[

Pohjolas Daughter

Scion7

Welcome. Excellent choices. You should go far in life!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."