Hi there

Started by Beeper, June 06, 2023, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: Rygar on January 16, 2024, 05:00:12 AMI'm a connoisseur of old rock. I love to listen to Syd Barrett and Roger Waters.

Me too  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Rygar on January 16, 2024, 05:00:12 AMI'm a connoisseur of old rock. I love to listen to Syd Barrett and Roger Waters.

Rygar,

We do also (at least some of us) enjoy chatting about other music genres (see "Diner") like jazz, rock, folk, country, R&B...and many more! Too many to list.  :)  We do love (and enjoy exploring) classical music.  Some of us are new to it and others have been listening to it for decades....it's all good!  Lots of brains for you to pick and perhaps also music to explore?  :)  And we would love to hear what you enjoy listening to and your thoughts on it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Marbarum

Greetings, I'm new around here!

DavidW

Welcome Marbarum!  What composers do you like?

steve ridgway

Hello @Marbarum, welcome to the forum :D .

Marbarum

Quote from: DavidW on February 20, 2024, 06:40:57 AMWelcome Marbarum!  What composers do you like?
Roger Waters

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

@Marbarum is also more of a fan than BMG apparently! :laugh:

Ian

Let's not forget Mr Waters has written an opera.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ian on March 05, 2024, 11:40:40 AMLet's not forget Mr Waters has written an opera.

I couldn't forget what I did not know. Id est, news to me. How has it been received — as good as Macca's Liverpool Oratorio?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ian

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 05, 2024, 11:53:52 AMI couldn't forget what I did not know. Id est, news to me. How has it been received — as good as Macca's Liverpool Oratorio?
I was first released in 2005. I've had it here for years as part of a RW box set. But as I don't like opera I've never listened to it.

From the Wikipedia page I linked to :

Ça Ira has received mixed reviews. The biggest criticisms were that the opera is too narrative, which makes staging very difficult – and, as a result, disrupts the flow of the piece. Others have complained that the score is too conventional and that Waters should have taken more risks with it.

I've also just seen that he recorded a version of Stravinsky's A Soldiers Tale. I didn't know that. I'll give it a listen if I can find it, I like the piece.
Edit: so it seems it's the narrated version and he does the narration. It lasts an hour and twenty minutes. The original is around 30 mins. I can already imagine it and don't think I could stand his voice for that long...  I think I'll give it a miss.