What's your live concert "bucket list"?

Started by Brian, June 27, 2023, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2024, 08:31:42 AMNow that you mention it, I have only seen one RVW symphony live (5) and it was by a student orchestra (albeit students being conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy).
Paavo Berglund led the BSO in the RVW Sixth. What a great evening!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2024, 05:29:09 AM"The star-studded cast list includes Lise Lindstrom (Brunnhilde), Sara Jakubiak (Sieglinde), Deniz Uzun (Fricka), Daniel Johanssohn (Siegfried), Mark Delavan (Wotan), and Tomas Tomasson (Alberich).

There appears to be a different understanding between myself and the DSO marketing folks as to what "star-studded" means.  This is partially offset by Dallas weather in October. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2024, 08:31:42 AMNow that you mention it, I have only seen one RVW symphony live (5) and it was by a student orchestra (albeit students being conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy).

I've been lucky, I've managed to hear four (4) RVW symphonies since 2013, but they were all at the Grant Park Festival, where VW-loving Carlos Kalmar was in charge. (3 of them were under Kalmar, and the other under Martyn Brabbins.)

The CSO also did a couple of VW syms during that time, but I missed them.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Ganondorf on February 28, 2024, 06:50:56 AMLa fanciulla del West. But maybe that's not enough: I want a specific production by Vilppu Kiljunen which probably isn't performed any more and which I had a chance to see some 10+ years ago but I didn't. So I don't entertain high hopes of ever seeing that one. Maybe some other production will suffice?

This one?  https://www.vilppukiljunen.fi/la-fanciulla-del-west-the-girl-of-the-west-2001/

I noticed that there are a couple of email contacts listed there (including one for Vilppu Kiljunen).  You might try writing him(?) and asking him if they had ever released it on dvd or if there's a place/way that you could view it?  Out of curiosity, why did you particularly want to see this production?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 28, 2024, 08:41:18 AMPaavo Berglund led the BSO in the RVW Sixth. What a great evening!
8) When (approximately) was this?

The only work that I've seen performed of his live was Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

Would love to see more!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 28, 2024, 09:30:13 AMWhen (approximately) was this?

The only work that I've seen performed of his live was Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.
Mebbe 20 years ago. And the Tallis Fantasia is delicious live! Heard it in neighboring Arlington.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 28, 2024, 09:38:03 AMMebbe 20 years ago. And the Tallis Fantasia is delicious live! Heard it in neighboring Arlington.
Nice!  By the way, have you heard the recording of the Fantasia with Andrew Davis?  It was included along with Walton's Belshazzar on a BBC Music Magazine CD (believe that it was also released on DVD?).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 28, 2024, 09:46:41 AMNice!  By the way, have you heard the recording of the Fantasia with Andrew Davis?  It was included along with Walton's Belshazzar on a BBC Music Magazine CD (believe that it was also released on DVD?).

PD
That recording, I have not.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

brewski

I would love to hear most any of the big orchestral works by Xenakis. But that is unlikely to happen since performing them requires basically learning a new language, using his graphic scores. Last fall the Berlin Philharmonic did Jonchaies (1977), with strong echoes of The Rite of Spring, and it was marvelous. Likely still available on their Digital Concert Hall.

Would also travel for a complete Grisey Les espaces acoustiques, another big work that is unlikely to be performed in the United States. I just found out that the Frankfurt version, performed a few weeks ago, is on their website, so I will find a time soon to watch it that way.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Ganondorf

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 28, 2024, 09:26:27 AMThis one?  https://www.vilppukiljunen.fi/la-fanciulla-del-west-the-girl-of-the-west-2001/

I noticed that there are a couple of email contacts listed there (including one for Vilppu Kiljunen).  You might try writing him(?) and asking him if they had ever released it on dvd or if there's a place/way that you could view it?  Out of curiosity, why did you particularly want to see this production?

PD

Yeah, that one. Thanks for the suggestion. Partly because of OCD. Cue extremely rambling explanation: I had the chance to see that production and now I shall always rack my brains about what that production was like, apart from a couple of photographs you may find online. I know that isnt very logical since quite realistically I could see any production abroad. But OCD is rarely logical. I guess the "reason" would be twofold: number 1: I recall to have strongly considered back then going to that performance yet for some reason or other I didn't so OCD says I never quite "finished" with it, so to speak. The second reason is more problematic: I am greatly interested in Finnish performances. Not merely but sometimes. It's true that I haven't yet seen, for example, the first Finnish production of Ring in it's entirety (though I have seen Götz Friedrich one) since Götterdämmerung is in May. But unless the real Götterdämmerung comes before that day in May (although I won't deny that it IS possible) or something completely unexpected happens, I am most likely going to see it. I have even the ticket already. But seeing that Finnish performance of Fanciulla that I never "finished" with is not nearly as likely. I do realize this may sound very bigoted ultra-nationalistic crap, I certainly didn't intend for it to be so. I may just as likely give way to ocd obsession with foreign production as likely as Finnish one. Living with OCD is not always easy.

Apologizing for a wall of text and any typos (I wrote this on cell phone). Btw, the similarity of the words "Finnish" and "finish" which greatly featured in my two points were completely accidental.  :) thanks for the advice though. I actually several years ago made a request at Finnish National Opera's home page for return of Fanciulla but so far no luck. Simon Boccanegra is in April though (one of my favorite Verdi Operas) and Finnish production of Götterdämmerung in May though.

Ganondorf

P.s. also because I saw a superb production of Gounod's Faust in Savonlinna many summers ago. That was by Kiljunen.