Author Topic: Sir Arthur Bliss  (Read 69731 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Sir Arthur Bliss
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
How do you like Rumon Gamba's recording of Things to Come?  I think this is the most complete modern recording at 32 minutes.

It’s great! This exciting and evocative score was a revelation to me.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »
I greatly enjoyed it, although it's a while since I heard it. You're right about it being the most complete version of TTC. It includes 'Machines' but, as far as I recall, it is not played with the same urgency as in Bliss's own recording of the Suite from TTC, which remains my favourite version. As a whole, the Chandos CD is excellent. How about you?

You know me well enough to know there is no single version I love because the suites are so incomplete since the material was lost and has a very complex history (Muir Mathieson added the choral ending after Bliss was done as requested by HG Wells so should that be in the suite?  Depends who you ask and I find it a fantastic finish).  In short, I wish we had a full score reconstruction with modern recording.  I love Ruman Gamba's recording for it's scope, Herrmann's for it's operatic sweep, Mauceri/Hollywood for its grandeur, Bliss' for it's authenticity, but  Sir Charles Groves for its overall impact. 

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »
You know me well enough to know there is no single version I love because the suites are so incomplete since the material was lost and has a very complex history (Muir Mathieson added the choral ending after Bliss was done as requested by HG Wells so should that be in the suite?  Depends who you ask and I find it a fantastic finish).  In short, I wish we had a full score reconstruction with modern recording.  I love Ruman Gamba's recording for it's scope, Herrmann's for it's operatic sweep, Mauceri/Hollywood for its grandeur, Bliss' for it's authenticity, but  Sir Charles Groves for its overall impact.
I agree with you about a full score reconstruction. I liked your final sentence statement on the virtues of the individual version - I just wish that Groves had included 'Machines'!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2021, 04:33:08 AM »
I agree with you about a full score reconstruction. I liked your final sentence statement on the virtues of the individual version - I just wish that Groves had included 'Machines'!

I wonder why it was omitted since it was part of the suite published in 1940.  You might find this article interesting on the history and construction of the score.  I had no idea HG Wells was such a big part of the creative choices.

https://billsnedden.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/things-to-come-pre-concert-talk/

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2021, 08:47:03 PM »
I wonder why it was omitted since it was part of the suite published in 1940.  You might find this article interesting on the history and construction of the score.  I had no idea HG Wells was such a big part of the creative choices.

https://billsnedden.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/things-to-come-pre-concert-talk/
Thanks very much Karim. I really look forward to reading it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2021, 09:44:51 PM »
A work that I really enjoy is Bliss's :'Concerto for Two Pianos' - it is very short but highly memorable, inspiriting and enjoyable - haven't seen it mentioned much here. AFAIK there are two recordings - both excellent:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:48:39 PM by vandermolen »