Sir Arthur Bliss

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: mahler10th on September 21, 2008, 02:19:14 PM
So no-one has hear "Miracle in the Gorbals" then?  Hmm.  May have to upload something.

It's on the same CD as the Song of Welcome, mentioned above. I really like Miracle in the Gorbals.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

I agree - a fantastic piece, one of my favourites of the Bliss oevre.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

vandermolen

I was interested to hear that Lady Bliss died last November - at the age of 104!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 07, 2009, 06:19:21 AM
I was interested to hear that Lady Bliss died last November - at the age of 104!

We didn't read about this news, over here.  :'( Good to know that she even survived other equally talented composers' widows like Ursula Vaughan Williams (died 2007 at the age of 96) and Mary Alwyn (Carwithen) (died 2003 at the age of 81).

And all of course more than worthy successors of `my little darling wife' Constanze.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 07, 2009, 06:45:19 AM
We didn't read about this news, over here.  :'( Good to know that she even survived other equally talented composers' widows like Ursula Vaughan Williams (died 2007 at the age of 96) and Mary Alwyn (Carwithen) (died 2003 at the age of 81).

And all of course more than worthy successors of `my little darling wife' Constanze.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/3497984/Lady-Bliss.html

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on March 07, 2009, 06:19:21 AM

Lady Susana Walton is still alive though and looking after her wonderful garden on the island of Ischia.

You know....Lady Walton, widow of the great British composer.......... ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 07, 2009, 03:36:41 PM
Lady Susana Walton is still alive though and looking after her wonderful garden on the island of Ischia.

;D

vandermolen

Have been listening again to 'Metamorphic Variations' - what a great work - composed when Bliss was 81.

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 07, 2009, 03:36:41 PM

Walton, Walton .... the name doesn't sound familiar. What about Lady Britten?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dundonnell

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2009, 11:12:53 AM
Walton, Walton .... the name doesn't sound familiar. What about Lady Britten?  ::)

Died in 1986. (Please forgive me ::))

tjguitar

My latest Bliss acquisition:

I mostly got this for the Meditations, as I have Handley's latter recording of the Checkmate suite with the Ulster, and I have this same recording of Adam Zero on a more recent 2 disc EMI Bliss compilation, this release apparently only has excerpts of the suite.

I await the following:

for the Edinburgh Overture and the Miracles in the Gorbals suite.

Now watch EMI reissue this stuff next year in remastered sound....

vandermolen

Quote from: tjguitar on July 07, 2009, 03:23:32 PM
My latest Bliss acquisition:

I mostly got this for the Meditations, as I have Handley's latter recording of the Checkmate suite with the Ulster, and I have this same recording of Adam Zero on a more recent 2 disc EMI Bliss compilation, this release apparently only has excerpts of the suite.

I await the following:

for the Edinburgh Overture and the Miracles in the Gorbals suite.

Now watch EMI reissue this stuff next year in remastered sound....

Those are two of the very best Bliss discs - although I was delighted to see the return of Hugo Rignold's Birmingham performance of 'Meditations on a Theme by John Blow' which is my favourite performance of this work (Lyrita).

Scarpia

Just listened to Bliss' quintet for clarinet and strings.  An intersting work.  Well done interplay of the clarinet and string quartet, and interesting counterpoint within the string quartet and between the strings and clarinet.  Last week it was Bliss' music for strings, which has an absolutely fantastic first movement, with delicious dissonances.  I'm finding it frustrating that few recordings exist of Bliss' works.

Guido

Quote from: Scarpia on February 09, 2010, 03:01:30 PM
Just listened to Bliss' quintet for clarinet and strings.  An intersting work.  Well done interplay of the clarinet and string quartet, and interesting counterpoint within the string quartet and between the strings and clarinet.  Last week it was Bliss' music for strings, which has an absolutely fantastic first movement, with delicious dissonances.  I'm finding it frustrating that few recordings exist of Bliss' works.

I agree that it is an interesting work, but I never understand when people say that it is his greatest work... I like it, but don't love it. The Music for strings is certainly a stronger work to my ears. Maybe I'll have a listen today.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Scarpia

Most recently, Hymn to Apollo and Checkmate Suite.  Both superb, especially the Apollo thing.  I am becoming a Bliss fanatic, I'm afraid.  The Chandos recording of the Bliss Violin Concerto (with Colour Symphony) and a Lyrita recording with Meditations on a Theme by John Blow and Music for Strings are now on order.

vandermolen

The lovely Oboe Quintet is my favourite chamber work by Bliss (on Naxos). The Lyrita 'Meditations on a Theme by Blow' is a great performance of a work, unfairly described as 'amiable but rambling' in my CD guide.

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on February 15, 2010, 11:26:07 PM
The lovely Oboe Quintet is my favourite chamber work by Bliss (on Naxos).

I found this one for a bit over $2 on Amazon Marketplace, the same piece I believe.

Too bad there's no production of Checkmate on video.

I think my next obsession will be Parry.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on February 15, 2010, 11:34:12 PM
I found this one for a bit over $2 on Amazon Marketplace, the same piece I believe.

Too bad there's no production of Checkmate on video.

I think my next obsession will be Parry.

Yes, that looks like it.  Did you enjoy it?

Scarpia

vandermolen