Sir Arthur Bliss

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Thank you! Good to know. Hopefully next week I can afford to buy some records.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on March 24, 2011, 08:32:29 PM
Thank you! Good to know. Hopefully next week I can afford to buy some records.

You're welcome. The Handley...

[asin]B0002NRRFQ[/asin]

Can be purchased rather inexpensively through an Amazon Marketplace seller. It's on sale for $4.49 (plus shipping) right now. Excellent price.

vandermolen

Quote from: eyeresist on March 24, 2011, 05:14:15 PM
I'm looking into Bliss again, thanks chiefly to the rerelease of the Things to Come Suite conducted by Herrmann. I don't think anyone makes as much of this music as him, especially in the Prologue and Epilogue. (I love the vertiginous nausea embodied by the Prologue.) Fine playing and good recording too.

The Groves recording of the Colour Symphony still doesn't do much for me. I think this may partly be due to the old sound - a virtuoso work like this needs a much fresher and more lively recording. I'm thinking of getting the Lloyd-Jones next.

Morning Heroes - tossing up between Groves and Kibblewhite (on Argo). Gramophone says Kibblewhite is more dramatic and has the better choir, but prefers Groves' speaker. My reaction from listening to Amazon samples was exactly opposite to this! (But I agree with their disappointment at Kibblewhite's two-dimensional sound.) Best thing might be to stitch Brian Blessed's speech onto Groves' performance?

Unfortunately Herrmann, like many others excludes 'Machines' from 'Things to Come' - I find it one of the most atmospheric sections.  Bliss included it in his own selection of extracts and I don't understand while all the other versions (other than Rumon Gamba's complete recording on Chandos) do not include it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

John Whitmore

I'm a Bliss fan and was fortunate enough to have played under him with the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra. Here's a link to the LSSO playing the brilliant Introduction and Allegro conducted by Sir Arthur.I've also added on YouTube, in 5 parts, a documentary about the Leicester Haymarket production of Lady of Shallot from 1975 which includes a short section of Sir Arthur playing the piano in his London home. Here are the links:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kgiumma4lwm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-UQK_ZqZ0

tjguitar

New set from EMI, but appears to be mostly reissues of recent CDs. Missing some of the Handley and Berglund recordings...

Its too bad they didn't include everything...

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Bliss/dp/B0056H0R3C/

vandermolen

Quote from: tjguitar on September 26, 2011, 09:37:31 PM
New set from EMI, but appears to be mostly reissues of recent CDs. Missing some of the Handley and Berglund recordings...

http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Bliss/dp/B0056H0R3C/

Thanks for correcting my Amazon review! Yes, I'm sorry that there was no 'Meditations on a Theme of John Blow' or 'Morning Heroes' or Piano Concerto.  Still, I think it's a fine set and I had forgotten how good 'Adam Zero' is.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

tjguitar

Quote from: vandermolen on September 26, 2011, 11:01:58 PM
Thanks for correcting my Amazon review! Yes, I'm sorry that there was no 'Meditations on a Theme of John Blow' or 'Morning Heroes' or Piano Concerto.  Still, I think it's a fine set and I had forgotten how good 'Adam Zero' is.

I agree, I just wish the would have taken the opportunity to include Handley's Edinburgh Overture and Meditations on a Theme by John Blow, Berglund's Miracles in the Gorbals...Edinburgh Overture is on this Handley set at least:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vernon-Handley-ICON/dp/B005AAVFHC

Lethevich

Quote from: tjguitar on September 26, 2011, 09:37:31 PM

I agree with your sentiments - if they're going to make an impressively-endowed box, why hold out on the final few bits? Despite quibbles, it's a must-buy.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

vandermolen

Have been listening to 'Meditations on a Theme of John Blow' (Handley, CBSO) - a fine work, perhaps Bliss's masterpiece - what do others think is Bliss's finest work?

I recall that one of the CD guides described it as 'aimiable but rambling' but I'm more inclined to agree with Andrew Burn in the booklet note:

Here his spirit is laid bare; here Bliss, a man of supreme compassion, offers a spiritual pilgrimage for the soul of Everyman, of any belief, creed or race; there is no distinction in his philosophy.

Adam Zero, on the same CD is another favourite of mine.  Perhaps the most moving moment in Bliss is the last part of 'Morning Heroes' with the return of the cannon fire over the Somme.

Obradovic

I'm trying to track a recording of the Morning Heroes but only the one by Charles Groves appears in circulation. Why such a paucity? Does anyone know whether is this a good performance or just decent and nothing more? And I'm almost sure no text is included (ref: to the EMI twofer along with Rattle's War Requiem, the only one I can find in the web). Unless a new recording is being processed/scheduled to appear the coming months...

snyprrr

vandermolen

Quote from: Obradovic on January 14, 2013, 12:32:54 PM
I'm trying to track a recording of the Morning Heroes but only the one by Charles Groves appears in circulation. Why such a paucity? Does anyone know whether is this a good performance or just decent and nothing more? And I'm almost sure no text is included (ref: to the EMI twofer along with Rattle's War Requiem, the only one I can find in the web). Unless a new recording is being processed/scheduled to appear the coming months...

There are at least two other recordings. One on the defunct BBC Radio Classics with former BBC newsreader Richard Baker as the narrator and Charles Groves conducting. Also there is a Cala release, Kibblethwaite/Brian Blessed narrating in a rather melodramatic rendition. I have no doubt that John Westbrook is the best narrator. If you can find the original single CD release that definitely includes the words. Sorry, I never spotted your original post.

Klaze

(I guess its not so relevant anymore but anyway: I can find no serious faults with the Groves recording of Morning Heroes, but have no comparison recordings, and indeed there are no texts included in the twofer with the War Requiem)

I quite liked the Bliss string quartets (got the Griller quartet playing them),  but need to become acquainted with more works, pointers would be welcome.
So far I can't find much to like in the Colour Symphony, and was a little bit dissappointed by the Clarinet Quintet.
On the other hand, i really enjoyed the disc with the Cello Concerto, The Enchantress and Hymn to Apollo...

vandermolen

Quote from: Klaze on August 20, 2013, 01:57:45 PM
(I guess its not so relevant anymore but anyway: I can find no serious faults with the Groves recording of Morning Heroes, but have no comparison recordings, and indeed there are no texts included in the twofer with the War Requiem)

I quite liked the Bliss string quartets (got the Griller quartet playing them),  but need to become acquainted with more works, pointers would be welcome.
So far I can't find much to like in the Colour Symphony, and was a little bit dissappointed by the Clarinet Quintet.
On the other hand, i really enjoyed the disc with the Cello Concerto, The Enchantress and Hymn to Apollo...

I wonder if you would like the Oboe Quintet more. I think that it his best chamber work. The version by the Melos Ensemble is unrivalled (it is included in the EMI box).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 03:19:39 PM
I wonder if you would like the Oboe Quintet more. I think that it his best chamber work. The version by the Melos Ensemble is unrivalled (it is included in the EMI box).

Thoroughly agreed! The Oboe Quintet has such haunting lyricism and is a nice contrast to the usual extroverted mood of most of Bliss' orchestral works. The Viola Sonata is also a very fine work, dark and poignant.

Klaze

Thanks folks, will look for those works

Obradovic

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 08:44:25 AM
There are at least two other recordings. One on the defunct BBC Radio Classics with former BBC newsreader Richard Baker as the narrator and Charles Groves conducting. Also there is a Cala release, Kibblethwaite/Brian Blessed narrating in a rather melodramatic rendition. I have no doubt that John Westbrook is the best narrator. If you can find the original single CD release that definitely includes the words. Sorry, I never spotted your original post.
Many thanks for your help! Both versions though seem difficult to spot outside UK and I still look forward for a good modern rendition.

vandermolen

Quote from: Obradovic on September 10, 2013, 12:03:40 AM
Many thanks for your help! Both versions though seem difficult to spot outside UK and I still look forward for a good modern rendition.

My pleasure. Hope you find a copy.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Obradovic on September 10, 2013, 12:03:40 AM
I'd go for Westbrook. I always thought Richard Baker was a bit stodgy. Brian Blessed livened up 'Have I got News for You',but he's too OTT and loud (no pun intended ;D) for Bliss.

Obradovic

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 10, 2013, 07:03:21 AM
I'd go for Westbrook.

But does that EMI twofer (includes the War Requiem too) contain the text? I definitely doubt! It's very cheap though