Across the Sea of Time, a dramatic cantata

Started by relm1, July 07, 2023, 03:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

My newest piece is a cantata called "Across the Sea of Time" and scored for soloist, chorus, and orchestra and is a setting of texts by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. and Walt Whitman. 

The title and spirit of the work come from a quote from Carl Sagan, "'Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns" which I feel captures the spirit of the texts perfectly...of one being spellbound and in awe of the drama and spectacle all around us.  I had loads of fun setting the poems and hope to do more choral music in the future but maybe on a more intimate scale.

https://clyp.it/d4xd5gad

VonStupp

Quote from: relm1 on July 07, 2023, 03:41:01 PMMy newest piece is a cantata called "Across the Sea of Time" and scored for soloist, chorus, and orchestra and is a setting of texts by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. and Walt Whitman. 

The title and spirit of the work come from a quote from Carl Sagan, "'Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns" which I feel captures the spirit of the texts perfectly...of one being spellbound and in awe of the drama and spectacle all around us.  I had loads of fun setting the poems and hope to do more choral music in the future but maybe on a more intimate scale.

https://clyp.it/d4xd5gad

Most enjoyable!
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

relm1

lunar22

a curious piece which has a good deal of individuality. In places, esp. around the main climax from about 7'36"to 9'10", it became almost unbearably bombastic for my taste (the same applies to some extent to the coda but I think there's more genuine power there) but before  and after it was often harmonically and instrumentally really haunting. Certainly one of the most interesting things I've heard recently on a forum. I look forward to hearing more like this, or perhaps on a more intimate scale! I myself for secular choral music have tended to go in for fairytales a bit.

relm1

Quote from: lunar22 on July 11, 2023, 11:12:35 AMa curious piece which has a good deal of individuality. In places, esp. around the main climax from about 7'36"to 9'10", it became almost unbearably bombastic for my taste (the same applies to some extent to the coda but I think there's more genuine power there) but before  and after it was often harmonically and instrumentally really haunting. Certainly one of the most interesting things I've heard recently on a forum. I look forward to hearing more like this, or perhaps on a more intimate scale! I myself for secular choral music have tended to go in for fairytales a bit.

Thanks I really appreciate your feedback and completely agree with it.  It sometimes goes too far.

lunar22

well I would say that it's better to go a bit too far with emotionality than to express very little which is the more common problem nowadays  ;)

relm1

Quote from: lunar22 on July 11, 2023, 11:56:37 PMwell I would say that it's better to go a bit too far with emotionality than to express very little which is the more common problem nowadays  ;)

I've never been accused of holding back.   ;D