Hans Zimmer: Composer becomes co-owner of historic BBC Maida Vale studios

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, August 14, 2023, 10:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Interesting to read what will happen to the old studios and what will hopefully happen to the new ones.

And another [sad] sign in terms of the changes that one sees in ones lifetime.

In any event, well wishes to Mr. Zimmer for trying to help preserve/change things in a way that is positive and being willing to invest the monies necessary (along with several other people--see article).  From it:

"Zimmer recalled first working at Maida Vale 45 years ago.
"I still remember the strong pull, the desire to touch the walls, as if that would somehow allow me to connect to the artists whose extraordinary music had resonated against these walls on a daily basis," he said.
"This was a place of revolutionary science in the service of art, this was a place that inspired you to give your best, where music was performed around the clock and art was taken seriously. For the people by the people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66497106

I truly wish them a lot of success.  And a big thank you to them for investing in this noble endeavor.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I visited that studio many times as my uncle worked for the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and often gave my brother and I free tickets to attend. There was usually a small audience of about 20/30 people. I remember watching Walter Susskind conduct Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet there and also Britten's Sinfonia Da Requiem (first time I heard the work).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2023, 07:15:56 AMI visited that studio many times as my uncle worked for the PRS (Performing Rights Society) and often gave my brother and I free tickets to attend. There was usually a small audience of about 20/30 people. I remember watching Walter Susskind conduct Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet there and also Britten's Sinfonia Da Requiem (first time I heard the work).
Cool!  8)  What other things do you remember about your visits there?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 15, 2023, 08:57:00 AMCool!  8)  What other things do you remember about your visits there?

PD

I used to work there quite a lot for various freelance ensembles that the BBC recorded/broadcast.  It was an amazing site (with a very good canteen!!)  The GOOD news is that it will survive as a location for the creation and recording of music.  The sadder reality is that the BBC neither can afford or have the artistic will-power to run such a site and/or generate the volume of content it can support.......

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 15, 2023, 10:37:07 AMThe sadder reality is that the BBC neither can afford or have the artistic will-power to run such a site and/or generate the volume of content it can support.......
That's neat that you used to work there!  And, yes, that's the part that jumped out to me in the article re affording or willingness/maybe permission to do so.  :(
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 15, 2023, 10:43:46 AMThat's neat that you used to work there!  And, yes, that's the part that jumped out to me in the article re affording or willingness/maybe permission to do so.  :(
PD
And memories?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 15, 2023, 08:57:00 AMCool!  8)  What other things do you remember about your visits there?

PD
I remember a jazz orchestra all arguing with each other which amused my brother and myself. I was pretty young at the time. I remember the nice relaxed atmosphere in the hall.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 15, 2023, 10:37:07 AMI used to work there quite a lot for various freelance ensembles that the BBC recorded/broadcast.  It was an amazing site (with a very good canteen!!)  The GOOD news is that it will survive as a location for the creation and recording of music.  The sadder reality is that the BBC neither can afford or have the artistic will-power to run such a site and/or generate the volume of content it can support.......
I remember the canteen too!
I lived in Maida Vale as a young boy.