BIS Records taken over by Apple

Started by Papy Oli, September 05, 2023, 03:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

My hope (rational or not) is that the quality of product and artistic sense of adventure will remain the same until RvB either retires, resigns in protest at something Apple did, or dies. Hopefully he sticks around, active and inquisitive and with a keen ear, for many more years.

Que

Quote from: Brian on September 07, 2023, 05:18:39 AMMy hope (rational or not) is that the quality of product and artistic sense of adventure will remain the same until RvB either retires, resigns in protest at something Apple did, or dies. Hopefully he sticks around, active and inquisitive and with a keen ear, for many more years.

Still waiting for those CPE Bach box sets... Robert von Bahr is a tough nut to crack!  8)

Spotted Horses

The announcement is here, in case not everyone has seen it:

https://www.bis.se

The key question is, what does it mean to "become part of the Apple family?" There are no other record labels that have "become part of the Apple family," that I know of. BIS recordings are already available for streaming or purchase on Apple Music, so I don't see how this is an "increased global platform." The worry is that this means that BIS will be exclusively on Apple Music and the advantage is Apple promotion of BIS content. This worries me, even though I subscribe to Apple Music because Apple only provide lossless content for streaming, you can only purchase downloads with lossy compression. And they do not provide pdf booklets or notes. This is a downgrade. It would also be unfortunate if physical media went away because there are still hardcore fans of it (although I have not spun a CD in a decade, all FLAC rips of CDs, FLAC downloads or lossless streaming).

We will have to wait and see.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Atriod

Has anyone been in contact with the BIS CEO (@Brian ?) for further details? That they mention "filled with new music" gives me some hope that the Allan Pettersson project will continue. Whether the box will come to fruition or it's streaming/download only is to be seen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 07, 2023, 09:46:10 PMThe announcement is here, in case not everyone has seen it:

https://www.bis.se

The key question is, what does it mean to "become part of the Apple family?" There are no other record labels that have "become part of the Apple family," that I know of. BIS recordings are already available for streaming or purchase on Apple Music, so I don't see how this is an "increased global platform." The worry is that this means that BIS will be exclusively on Apple Music and the advantage is Apple promotion of BIS content. This worries me, even though I subscribe to Apple Music because Apple only provide lossless content for streaming, you can only purchase downloads with lossy compression. And they do not provide pdf booklets or notes. This is a downgrade. It would also be unfortunate if physical media went away because there are still hardcore fans of it (although I have not spun a CD in a decade, all FLAC rips of CDs, FLAC downloads or lossless streaming).

We will have to wait and see.

How often are you able to download booklets?  That's something that matters to me...the liner notes.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2023, 10:30:25 AMHow often are you able to download booklets?  That's something that matters to me...the liner notes.

PD

I get downloads from either prestoclassical or qobuz. When one has a booklet, invariably the other does too,  and vice versa. So it seems like it is the publisher that determines if a booklet is available.

For older, back-catalog releases there is usually no booklet, maybe 20% of the time or less. For new and very recent releases there almost always is a booklet, unless it is a big set at discount price, when booklets are often not supplied.

You can search on presto and get an idea. I searched for "mozart" and since the list was dominated by recent releases almost all had booklets. Above the "Add download to basket" button you will see the notice, "this release includes a digital booklet."

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=mozart

But when I searched for "mozart brendel," bringing up older releases, hardly any had booklets. Most say "no digital booklet included."

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=mozart%20brendel
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 08, 2023, 12:11:49 PMI get downloads from either prestoclassical or qobuz. When one has a booklet, invariably the other does to, and vice versa. So it seems like it is the publisher that determines if a booklet is available.

For older, back-catalog releases there is usually no booklet, maybe 20% of the time or less. For new and very recent releases there almost always is a booklet, unless it is a big set at discount price, when booklets are often not supplied.

You can search on presto and get an idea. I searched for "mozart" and since the list was dominated by recent releases almost all had booklets. About the "Add download to basket" button you will see the notice, "this release includes a digital booklet."

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=mozart

But when I searched for "mozart brendel," bringing up older releases, hardly any had booklets. Most say "no digital booklet included."

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=mozart%20brendel

Thanks.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Through eClassical, BIS has every booklet in their catalogue available to download. And every back cover of the CD case.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on September 10, 2023, 08:10:39 AMThrough eClassical, BIS has every booklet in their catalogue available to download. And every back cover of the CD case.

Same for Hyperion, although they used to make them available freely, now only after you purchase a download, I believe.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on September 10, 2023, 08:10:39 AMThrough eClassical, BIS has every booklet in their catalogue available to download. And every back cover of the CD case.
Good to hear!  :)

The thing though is that if you want a physical copy of the CDs complete with booklet is that it's a time-consuming pain to print out the booklet--that and my printer is o.k. for general use but most color printouts are pretty lousy (plus you also have to make time for cutting and trimming the pages, waste paper and also toner ink).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 11, 2023, 06:09:11 AMGood to hear!  :)

The thing though is that if you want a physical copy of the CDs complete with booklet is that it's a time-consuming pain to print out the booklet--that and my printer is o.k. for general use but most color printouts are pretty lousy (plus you also have to make time for cutting and trimming the pages, waste paper and also toner ink).

PD

I've never printed one, I read on a tablet or computer. In fact, for my physical CDs I scan the booklets to pdf files so I can read them on my tablet, rather than strain my eyes on the tiny booklet text. The one problem is thick booklets that don't lie flat and don't scan well.

Pohjolas Daughter

I've scanned some of my booklets in the past, but sometimes the contrasts between the writing and the background is pretty rough visually.

What kind of scanner/printer do you use by the way?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

I have a Canon LiDE 210, a pretty cheap one. When I got it, it was one model up from the entry level, a little faster.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 11, 2023, 06:34:13 AMI have a Canon LiDE 210, a pretty cheap one. When I got it, it was one model up from the entry level, a little faster.

Thanks!  I have an old HP Envy.  It's a combo printer, scanner, and copier.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

https://www.bis.se/

Quote from: Robert von BahrDear Friends,

A few days ago BIS Records turned 50 years old and I am immensely proud of what our small team of people has accomplished during this half-century. BIS's specialty, while paying our dues to the core repertoire, has been to nurture young classical artists and interesting living composers and to safeguard the musical treasure that we all represent long into the future. It is to that end that, after much careful consideration, and having just turned 80, I am excited to announce the rather momentous news that we have made the decision to become part of the Apple family.

We thought long and hard on how to maintain and build upon our prestigious history and looked for a partner who would further our mission, as well as an increased global platform to bring classical music to new audiences all over the world. Apple, with its own storied history of innovation and love of music, is the ideal home to usher in the next era of classical and has shown true commitment towards building a future in which classical music and technology work in harmony. It is my vision and my sincerest dream that we are all a part of this future.

There have been numerous moves of late by Apple to further support creativity within the classical space, not the least of which was the release of Apple Music Classical earlier this year. Apple and BIS also share a fundamental belief in the importance of preserving audio quality. As you are all aware, BIS has always been about exceptional sound quality, and Apple's dedication to sound, as well as to Spatial Audio, is something I have followed with interest.

BIS will become part of Apple Music Classical and Platoon. As proud as I am of this milestone, I am even more proud of the fact that the entire personnel of BIS, including me, have been retained. We all look forward to a future, filled with new music and artists in golden sound from this increased force in classical music.

- Robert von Bahr, Founder, BIS Records

It appears BIS has been bought out by Apple Music. Anyone aware of the implications of this deal, ie. whether or not BIS will continue putting out physical media? It does not appear that you can still purchase CDs from their website.

Spotted Horses

There's been some discussion of this topic on the on-line sellers thread.

The fact that physical CDs are no longer offered for sale is a new development.

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1914.1560.html

Todd

Quote from: Robert von BahrAs proud as I am of this milestone, I am even more proud of the fact that the entire personnel of BIS, including me, have been retained.

That will not last long. 

Guess I'll have to buy all the BIS FPZ recordings out there fairly quickly.  I'm not part of the Apple ecosystem, so I won't be able to take part in any benefits that may result from the sale.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

This really does deserve a thread of its own so I merged the two discussions together. Hope nobody minds!

And yes, it looks like the excellent BIS website has been reduced to a single landing page. There are also photos on their Facebook page of von Bahr packing up loads of boxes.

Spotted Horses

I did notice that BIS recordings remain available on Qobuz (streaming and download), although the BIS web site only lists Apple Music and eClassical as places to get BIS recordings.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on September 05, 2023, 06:17:18 AMAlso, if this translates to BIS albums only being available on the Apple Classical app and not on other streaming services, it's a total disaster.
For those of us outside the Apple ecosystem, ciao, Bis!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot