Author Topic: Camille Saint-Saëns  (Read 57643 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Camille Saint-Saëns
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2021, 05:25:01 PM »
I treat them like podcasts. Put them on, change the tab, answer emails, clean the bathroom, organize the laundry. That's exactly what podcasts are for.

I do not like that every time Hurwitz is mentioned in any context, there has to be this long conversation about the guy himself. Reverting to the subject at hand - not quite convinced to buy Warner's CSS big box yet, since I have a whole lot of the music (much of it in Warner/Erato's performances). But the presentation is so gorgeous! And the historical rarities are enticing. Gotta sit down and really compare what's in the box and what's in my collection. And, yes, gotta watch the DH video for his customary detailed breakdown disc by disc.

Which painter are they showcasing on all the cover wallets this time?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2021, 05:40:22 PM »
Which painter are they showcasing on all the cover wallets this time?

It looks like the artwork of Camille Pissarro on all of the sleeves.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
I am missing piano music but I was just not sufficiently interested to get that voxBox with all? of it. I wonder if there are good 1-2 disc anthologies of St-S piano music.

There doesn't seem to be anything other than a few pieces in recital albums and a few recorded by Chamayou as filler on his recording of two of the concertos.  Burleson is doing/has done a complete traversal on Piano Classics. There's a ton of sheet music listed so it might be simpler to play it yourself.

The Vox box may in fact be your best option. Amazon US prices are cheap enough. It doesn't include the solo version of Africa, although Burleson does.

As to the music itself, that struck me as being perfect salon music.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2021, 06:34:42 PM »
It looks like the artwork of Camille Pissarro on all of the sleeves.
Thanks! Now I just gotta figure out the Bartok covers ;D

Burleson's piano series is hampered by very close acoustics, like a college practice room. I am a big fan of this late romantic salon repertoire, love Saint-Saens and Moszkowski and all those fluffball piano pieces, but Burleson comes across a little bit sober because the sound doesn't have a lot of color or dynamic range.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:36:22 PM by Brian »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »
Thanks! Now I just gotta figure out the Bartok covers ;D

I'll need to have a gander at those covers as I don't own that set either (I own a lot of recordings from it however).

From the looks of it, it appears that there's an admixture of different artists in the Bartok set. I can definitely tell that one of the paintings from the box set's pack shot is J. M. W. Turner:

"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2021, 07:03:00 PM »
Oh yeah, that is a mixture of different people. Odd!

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2021, 07:23:29 PM »
There doesn't seem to be anything other than a few pieces in recital albums and a few recorded by Chamayou as filler on his recording of two of the concertos. 
I'm fairly sure I have this album. Salon music is accurate, but it's charming and fairly eclectic, as I recall.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #247 on: October 30, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »
I'm fairly sure I have this album. Salon music is accurate, but it's charming and fairly eclectic, as I recall.
I definitely have it and agree.