William Alwyn

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Klaatu on January 26, 2020, 07:30:40 AM
Just discovered on YouTube, this fine live performance of Alwyn's stunningly beautiful "Lyra Angelica":

https://youtu.be/3WI1bzaP_Ys

Stunningly beautiful indeed! Thanks for sharing it. A pity that it's only the 1st movement.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2020, 02:08:06 PM
Stunningly beautiful indeed! Thanks for sharing it. A pity that it's only the 1st movement.

It's available in expensively on this fine collection of Alwyn's music:

PS I see from WAYLTN thread that you have this disc! Cesar. I like all three works very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2020, 02:16:20 PM
It's available in expensively on this fine collection of Alwyn's music:

PS I see from WAYLTN thread that you have this disc! Cesar. I like all three works very much.

Yes, I have them, Jeffrey, including those on Chandos. Really stupendous works. Alwyn is one of my very favorites.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

I tend to consider his symphonies 2, 3 and 5 as his finest, and curiously being the most serious and intense. 1 and 4 have a more amiable mood but they're not as gripping as the former.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2020, 03:50:54 PM
I tend to consider his symphonies 2, 3 and 5 as his finest, and curiously being the most serious and intense. 1 and 4 have a more amiable mood but they're not as gripping as the former.
Playing No.3 (Hickox) at the moment. The Violin Concerto was a major discovery for me in the last couple of years. I wish that the Chandos 2 CD set of British Violin concertos performed by Lydia Mordkovitch had included it rather than the far less interesting one by Bax for example.
I like all of Alwyn's symphonies but 2,3 and 5 are especially strong. I also like No.1 (and 4 ::)). Odd Man Out (film score) is possibly the work that I play most often by Alwyn along with the Violin Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2020, 10:46:58 PM
Playing No.3 (Hickox) at the moment. The Violin Concerto was a major discovery for me in the last couple of years. I wish that the Chandos 2 CD set of British Violin concertos performed by Lydia Mordkovitch had included it rather than the far less interesting one by Bax for example.
I like all of Alwyn's symphonies but 2,3 and 5 are especially strong. I also like No.1 (and 4 ::)). Odd Man Out (film score) is possibly the work that I play most often by Alwyn along with the Violin Concerto.

I think I remember also enjoying his piano concerto (s?) and it seems there isn't much from him I don't enjoy.  We seem to have the same musical tastes, vandermolen.  From now on, we shall be known as vanderlm1. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 27, 2020, 06:24:14 AM
I think I remember also enjoying his piano concerto (s?) and it seems there isn't much from him I don't enjoy.  We seem to have the same musical tastes, vandermolen.  From now on, we shall be known as vanderlm1.
Excellent idea!  ;)
He wrote two piano concertos - you can get them together on one Chandos or Naxos CD or coupled with symphonies 1 and 5 I think. I recall enjoying them but don't think they are as memorable as the beautiful Violin Concerto. I must listen to them again.
[/img]

Maestro267

It's a bit of a shame the Piano Concertos are on the short side. Good job the Violin Concerto is a bit more weighty.

Klaatu

Symphony 5 is a wonderful score, from the "ghoulish rushing sound" (Peter Pirie's description) that opens the symphony, to the haunting final section with its tolling bells, impassioned strings and ambivalent, major/minor close.

The atmosphere of that concluding section very much reminds me of "Saturn" from Holst's Planets Suite - the "bringer of old age" and mortality; Alwyn's inspiration for No. 5 was the poem Hydriotaphia by Sir Thomas Browne, with its famous lines

Man is a Noble Animal, splendid in ashes, and pompous in the grave.

vandermolen

Quote from: Klaatu on January 27, 2020, 07:32:30 AM
Symphony 5 is a wonderful score, from the "ghoulish rushing sound" (Peter Pirie's description) that opens the symphony, to the haunting final section with its tolling bells, impassioned strings and ambivalent, major/minor close.

The atmosphere of that concluding section very much reminds me of "Saturn" from Holst's Planets Suite - the "bringer of old age" and mortality; Alwyn's inspiration for No. 5 was the poem Hydriotaphia by Sir Thomas Browne, with its famous lines

Man is a Noble Animal, splendid in ashes, and pompous in the grave.

I heard Alwyn conduct it on the radio when I was on holiday in the Yorkshire Moors many decades ago. I wrote to him (c/o Lyrita I guess) saying how much I'd enjoyed the work and had a very nice reply from him.

relm1

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 27, 2020, 07:19:15 AM
It's a bit of a shame the Piano Concertos are on the short side. Good job the Violin Concerto is a bit more weighty.

But like Prokofiev's No. 1, I felt his short Piano Concerto's felt longer than they were...it's hard to explain.  But sometimes short is good too.

vandermolen

Alwyn's Prelude for the film 'Odd Man Out' (arranged Christopher Palmer). This is actually one of my favourites works by Alwyn, much as I love the symphonies, the Violin Concerto, Lyra Angelica, Elizabethan Dances and The Magic Island etcetera. and should be heard by any Alwyn fan:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EwXCsS85OXY

Figaro

I am exploring Alwyn at the moment - I have the Symphonies and string quartets on naxos - and whilst I don't find anything to dislike, so far I can't honestly say I've heard much in the way of a signature "sound" or style which is easy to recognise (like with say Robert Simpson or Malcolm Arnold, both composers who I actually don't like as much as Alwyn), or anything which I can say is particularly typical of him or that he does better than anyone else. His sound seems to be what I consider the generic mid-century British tonal modernism - nothing that the likes of Tippett or Daniel Jones didn't do better.

Am I missing something or is my initial judgement correct - that his music is well crafted and inoffensive but not particularly distinctive or memorable?

Maestro267

You're probably not wrong, but when I really fancy listening to some Alwyn, nothing quite beats Alwyn for that.

Klaze

Quote from: Figaro on October 04, 2020, 09:00:46 AM
I am exploring Alwyn at the moment - I have the Symphonies and string quartets on naxos - and whilst I don't find anything to dislike, so far I can't honestly say I've heard much in the way of a signature "sound" or style which is easy to recognise (like with say Robert Simpson or Malcolm Arnold, both composers who I actually don't like as much as Alwyn), or anything which I can say is particularly typical of him or that he does better than anyone else. His sound seems to be what I consider the generic mid-century British tonal modernism - nothing that the likes of Tippett or Daniel Jones didn't do better.

Am I missing something or is my initial judgement correct - that his music is well crafted and inoffensive but not particularly distinctive or memorable?

In my opinion, no you aren't missing anything. I bought a bunch of recommended recordings but quickly sold them/gave them away. As you say, too generic. I find the days are usually too short to listen to Alwyn.

Daverz

Quote from: Figaro on October 04, 2020, 09:00:46 AM
Am I missing something

I can only recommend three favorite works: the Symphony No. 4, the Concerto Grosso No. 1, the Violin Concerto, and Lyra Angelica.  If none of those grab you, you have my official permission to move on.

Figaro

That's four works... I'll give s4 and the Lyra Angelica another go today.

It's not so much that it doesn't grab me - I can tell it's good music - just that I haven't yet been able to identify a signature style or point of difference that says "This is an Alwyn composition". Would someone who's a big fan be able to suggest something for me to listen out for?

Figaro

Lyra Angelica is lovely and would be a lot better known if it were by Ravel or Poulenc. Probably as good as any harp concerto out there, which isn't admittedly a crowded field. But I suppose that's my point - I struggle to say how it sounds like Alwyn more than like Ravel, just as I struggle to say how the symphonies sound more like Alwyn than late Vaughan Williams, or Malcolm Arnold.

vandermolen

Actually the Prelude to 'Odd Man Out' is one of my favourite works by Alwyn. It only lasts 4 mins so I'd give it a listen to before giving up with Alwyn completely.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFHLmJpsFo

As to other works my favourites are Symphony No.2, Lyra Angelica and the inexplicably IMO neglected Violin Concerto. Actually I enjoy all the symphonies. John Ireland though that Symphony No.3 was the greatest British symphony since Elgar although I think that's overstating it a bit.

PS

Another short work by Alwyn which I thoroughly enjoy is his atmospheric 'The Magic Island' after Shakespeare's 'The Tempest':
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBMWwnJhtPE

Irons

Quote from: Daverz on October 04, 2020, 10:42:56 PM
I can only recommend three favorite works: the Symphony No. 4, the Concerto Grosso No. 1, the Violin Concerto, and Lyra Angelica.  If none of those grab you, you have my official permission to move on.

A great selection. I might suggest before moving on give Mrs Alwyn aka Doreen Carwithen a listen. A Chandos CD of her Piano Concerto amongst other pieces is excellent.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.