William Alwyn

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: JoshLilly on April 16, 2007, 10:47:01 AM
Not "Sir"?  He should go spit on a sidewalk, or tie his shoes, or open a car door by himself... and go ahead and get his Knighthood for it.   ;D

Too late for Alwyn and Rubbra now, sadly.

Some far less talented composers than they got a knighthood!

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 30, 2008, 03:02:41 PM
Too late for Alwyn and Rubbra now, sadly.

Some far less talented composers than they got a knighthood!

Who do you have in mind Colin?  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on December 30, 2008, 03:15:01 PM
Who do you have in mind Colin?  ;D

Ah.........nasty!

If you really force me.....Richard Rodney Bennett, John Tavener. I don't even happen to think-and it is only a purely personal opinion of course-that Lennox Berkeley was any better a composer than Alwyn or Rubbra. Malcolm Arnold? I think that he probably did deserve his 'gong'. I refuse-point blank-to make any comments whatsoever about Sir Harrison Birtwistle. >:D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 30, 2008, 03:26:38 PM
Ah.........nasty!

If you really force me.....Richard Rodney Bennett, John Tavener. I don't even happen to think-and it is only a purely personal opinion of course-that Lennox Berkeley was any better a composer than Alwyn or Rubbra. Malcolm Arnold? I think that he probably did deserve his 'gong'. I refuse-point blank-to make any comments whatsoever about Sir Harrison Birtwistle. >:D

I would include the current Master of the Queen's Music  >:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Have just listened to a very interesting CD in The Beecham Collection (SOMM-BEECHAM 23). It includes the first performance of Alwyn's Third Symphony (which John Ireland thought was the greatest British symphony since Elgar). The recording is from the Festival Hall concert on 10th October 1956 with Beecham conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra. Despite the mono recording and it being over fifty years ago, the power of this fine work comes across more eloquently than in any other recording (and I have those on Lyrita, Naxos and Chandos). The end is especially poignant. Well worth looking out for.

Added later. I found a review of the CD:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2008/Apr08/Alwyn_Beecham_sommbeecham23.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2008/Apr08/Alwyn_Beecham_sommbeecham23.htm&usg=__QjIZig54KVSAglFm7LUPXMxCghk=&h=297&w=300&sz=27&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=ymq-J_sKGYuXzM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbeecham%2Bedition%2Balwyn%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26ie%3DUTF-8

Dundonnell

There is a new biography of Alwyn which was well reviewed-

http://www.boydell.co.uk/4383412X.HTM

I am tempted by it but I find biographies of composers usually somewhat frustrating. They either tell one a lot about the composer's life but leave one dissatisfied by the incomplete coverage of his music or concentrate on technical descriptions of the music(which are sometimes over my head) and leave the man himself as a shadowy character.

The two I bought recently are a bit like that. Peter Dickinson's book on Lennox Berkeley is excellent in many ways but practically ignores some of the music(the Flute Concerto, the 4th Symphony). Leo Black's book on Rubbra has superb analyses of the symphonies but I would have liked more about Rubbra the man.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 12, 2009, 01:31:49 PM
There is a new biography of Alwyn which was well reviewed-

http://www.boydell.co.uk/4383412X.HTM

I am tempted by it but I find biographies of composers usually somewhat frustrating. They either tell one a lot about the composer's life but leave one dissatisfied by the incomplete coverage of his music or concentrate on technical descriptions of the music(which are sometimes over my head) and leave the man himself as a shadowy character.

The two I bought recently are a bit like that. Peter Dickinson's book on Lennox Berkeley is excellent in many ways but practically ignores some of the music(the early Cello Concerto, the Flute Concerto, the 4th Symphony). Leo Black's book on Rubbra has superb analyses of the symphonies but I would have liked more about Rubbra the man.

I am tempted by the biography (and thanks Colin for alerting me to it), not least to read about 'the major crisis in Alwyn's life'. but not at £60. i agree with what you say about composer biographies. Honegger's 'I am a composer' which I am currently reading says very little about his life outside music, which I find frustrating. One of the best was 'A Heart at Fire's Center' about Bernard Herrmann.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2009, 03:39:44 AM
I am tempted by the biography (and thanks Colin for alerting me to it), not least to read about 'the major crisis in Alwyn's life'. but not at £60. i agree with what you say about composer biographies. Honegger's 'I am a composer' which I am currently reading says very little about his life outside music, which I find frustrating. One of the best was 'A Heart at Fire's Center' about Bernard Herrmann.

£30, Jeffrey(60 US Dollars) ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 13, 2009, 06:33:46 AM
£30, Jeffrey(60 US Dollars) ;D
Oh! thanks Colin but will refrain for the moment having splurged out recently on CDs of music by Alan Bush, Leon Orthel, Simeon Ten Holt and pre-ordered Goossens Symphony No 1 on Chandos.  Maybe I'll see if the library will order a copy of the Alwyn biography.

MDL

I've never heard any Alwyn, but I'd be curious to dip my toe. On holiday in China in 2002, I spent two weeks or so in the company of Alwyn's son from his first marriage, but we didn't talk much about his dad.

vandermolen

Quote from: MDL on January 14, 2009, 03:15:52 AM
I've never heard any Alwyn, but I'd be curious to dip my toe. On holiday in China in 2002, I spent two weeks or so in the company of Alwyn's son from his first marriage, but we didn't talk much about his dad.

That's very interesting. I didn't know that Alwyn had any children.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2009, 02:32:20 AM
Oh! thanks Colin but will refrain for the moment having splurged out recently on CDs of music by Alan Bush, Leon Orthel, Simeon Ten Holt and pre-ordered Goossens Symphony No 1 on Chandos.  Maybe I'll see if the library will order a copy of the Alwyn biography.

Hello, Jeffrey  ;). Do you know Vernon Handley's account of the Goossens symphony? It's on ABC and quite a good account IMO (although I can't compare it to any other ::)). What will the Chandos be coupled with ?

vandermolen

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 19, 2009, 06:09:01 PM
Hello, Jeffrey  ;). Do you know Vernon Handley's account of the Goossens symphony? It's on ABC and quite a good account IMO (although I can't compare it to any other ::)). What will the Chandos be coupled with ?

Hi Andre  ;) Yes, I have the ABC CD and the old Unicorn LP. It's coupled with the Phantasy Concerto for piano and orch.

Lilas Pastia

Keep us posted, then !  :D

vandermolen

Mirror Image

William Alwyn is one of my favorite English composers. His music is so melodic and rhythmically enticing. Unfortunately, I do not own that much of his music. All I own is the Richard Hickox series, when they were released individually (7 recordings in all). This also includes the film music disc with "Odd Man Out," which is one of the great scores in film music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 30, 2008, 01:26:16 PM
Have been listening to Symphony No 2; my favourite (and Alwyn's) of the cycle. It is a rather sibelian score but oddly moving in a characteristically understated British way (Lloyd-Jones recording on Naxos). Alwyn is one of my favourite British composers. I must investigate SQ No 2 from the recommendations here.

I like his Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 the best. Of his other works, I love "Lyra Angelica," "Pastoral Fantasia," "Elizabethan Dances," all of his concerti, especially "Oboe Concerto" and "Violin Concerto." A truly great composer with a lyrical gift for music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2010, 06:27:09 PM
I like his Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 the best. Of his other works, I love "Lyra Angelica," "Pastoral Fantasia," "Elizabethan Dances," all of his concerti, especially "Oboe Concerto" and "Violin Concerto." A truly great composer with a lyrical gift for music.

We have similar tastes, although Symphony No 2 is my favourite (it was Alwyn's too). They are all good and I totally agree about 'Odd Man Out' - one of the greatest music scores and worthy to stand alongside the symphonies.

springrite

I will find out about Symphony #2 and the Oboe Concerto, both of which I have ordered from Amazon via our own Just Jeff. Always loved Alwyn.  Can't wait!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Fëanor

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 30, 2010, 06:20:38 PM
William Alwyn is one of my favorite English composers. His music is so melodic and rhythmically enticing. Unfortunately, I do not own that much of his music. All I own is the Richard Hickox series, when they were released individually (7 recordings in all). This also includes the film music disc with "Odd Man Out," which is one of the great scores in film music.
I like Alywn's string quartets in particular.  I own both the Rasumovsky and Maggini versions; both good though of the two I'd recommend the Maggini ...

... ArkivMusic listing for the Maggini