William Alwyn

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Odd Man Out takes me to a state of important thrill. How terrific this work is! Some of the most aflame French horn writing is found in here. The music is rather touching, impressive. Along with Lyra Angelica, my favorite work by this gentleman.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 12, 2018, 05:32:22 PM

Odd Man Out takes me to a state of important thrill. How terrific this work is! Some of the most aflame French horn writing is found in here. The music is rather touching, impressive. Along with Lyra Angelica, my favorite work by this gentleman.
Delighted that you like this Cesar!
I consider 'Odd Man Out' to be one of Alwyn's finest works, alongside the unaccountably neglected Violin Concerto, 'The Magic Island' (after Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'), Lyra Angelica and all the symphonies, but especially nos 1 and 2. The Prelude to Odd Man Out - a kind of doomed processional which always appeals to me - is reminiscent of 'The Road to Calvary' from Miklos Rozsa's wonderful score for 'Ben-Hur'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

I like all the Alwyn Symphonies but especially No.3 which is powerfully coupled on Chandos with the Violin Concerto.  Both very impressive works.....

[asin]B001MV91BK[/asin]

marketplace copies on Amazon UK are very cheap at the moment I see.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 14, 2018, 01:48:53 AM
I like all the Alwyn Symphonies but especially No.3 which is powerfully coupled on Chandos with the Violin Concerto.  Both very impressive works.....

[asin]B001MV91BK[/asin]

marketplace copies on Amazon UK are very cheap at the moment I see.

That is a great CD which introduced me to the lovely VC. John Ireland thought that Alwyn's 3rd Symphony was the best British symphony since Elgar. I don't agree as it leaves out Bax, VW and Walton (not to mention Moeran) but it is still a fine symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

A rare performance of Alwyn's opera Miss Julie is taking place this evening at London's Barbican Hall. From photos I've seen on Twitter it looks like it's a semi-staged performance, but it's still significant. Even more significant and perhaps more relevant for this thread is that it will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 this Saturday evening.

André

I still haven't opened that Lyrita set of Miss Julie  ::). I'm slowly catching up on my opera backlog though, so hopefully I will get to hear it before year end  :P

SymphonicAddict

On these days I've listened to all the releases of his film music on Chandos. This gentleman wrote some truly inspired and inspiring scores! Later I'll post further comments about them. I heartily recommend them to any fan of this composer.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 08, 2019, 06:57:30 AM
On these days I've listened to all the releases of his film music on Chandos. This gentleman wrote some truly inspired and inspiring scores! Later I'll post further comments about them. I heartily recommend them to any fan of this composer.

Other that 'Odd Man Out' which are your favourites Cesar? I have volumes 1 and 2 but not 3.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 08, 2019, 08:29:07 AM
Other that 'Odd Man Out' which are your favourites Cesar? I have volumes 1 and 2 but not 3.

According to my notes, these have been of great enjoyment for me (either suites or extracts from the whole scores):

They Flew Alone
Desert Victory
On Approval
Calypso from 'The Rake's Progress'
The Fallen Idol
The History of Mr. Polly
The Crimson Pirate
The Master of Ballantrae
Geordie
The Black Tent
Swiss Family Robinson
In Search of the Castaways
The Running Man

These ones were not as good as the previous ones:

Shake Hands with the Devil
The Winslow Boy
State Secret
The Magic Box
Manchester Suite
Penn of Pennsylvania

And there are 4 volumes of his film music on Chandos, I think all of them are more than good.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 09, 2019, 09:53:58 AM
According to my notes, these have been of great enjoyment for me (either suites or extracts from the whole scores):

They Flew Alone
Desert Victory
On Approval
Calypso from 'The Rake's Progress'
The Fallen Idol
The History of Mr. Polly
The Crimson Pirate
The Master of Ballantrae
Geordie
The Black Tent
Swiss Family Robinson
In Search of the Castaways
The Running Man

These ones were not as good as the previous ones:

Shake Hands with the Devil
The Winslow Boy
State Secret
The Magic Box
Manchester Suite
Penn of Pennsylvania

And there are 4 volumes of his film music on Chandos, I think all of them are more than good.
Thanks very much Cesar. I certainly remember enjoying 'Desert Victory'.

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 03, 2019, 10:10:12 AM
A rare performance of Alwyn's opera Miss Julie is taking place this evening at London's Barbican Hall. From photos I've seen on Twitter it looks like it's a semi-staged performance, but it's still significant. Even more significant and perhaps more relevant for this thread is that it will be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 this Saturday evening.

Great to know! Miss Julie is a fantastic opera, intensely lyrical and dramatic. I've seen it described as 'neo-Puccinian', a quite apt descriptor.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2019, 08:44:49 AM
Great to know! Miss Julie is a fantastic opera, intensely lyrical and dramatic. I've seen it described as 'neo-Puccinian', a quite apt descriptor.
Didn't know one could get 'sweet sugar'.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2019, 09:05:17 AM
Huh? ;) *]

*] i.e. sweetened Puccini - I was thinking of the even sweeter Zuccherini - but I don't think Alwyn was capable of such a thing, being the fine composer that he always was.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on December 03, 2019, 09:22:42 AM
*] i.e. sweetened Puccini - I was thinking of the even sweeter Zuccherini - but I don't think Alwyn was capable of such a thing, being the fine composer that he always was.

By "neo-Puccinian" I merely meant that the music resembles an "updated" version of Puccini's dramatic lyricism. Alwyn, of course, has a compelling individual voice with recognizably 20th century harmonies marred to a Romantic concept of drama and emotion. Nothing "over-sweet" about it! :)

Papy Oli

A new Lyrita release in March :

[asin]B082JQ3D5D[/asin]
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 23, 2020, 06:11:47 AM
A new Lyrita release in March :

[asin]B082JQ3D5D[/asin]
Excellent!
Thanks for letting us know Olivier.

Symphonic Addict

Thanks Olivier for this. Only string quartets 4 and 5 would be missing to have his whole cycle recorded.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Klaatu

Just discovered on YouTube, this fine live performance of Alwyn's stunningly beautiful "Lyra Angelica":

https://youtu.be/3WI1bzaP_Ys

Klaatu

......and this live performance of Alwyn's other beautiful harp composition, the solo piece "Crepuscule". (In the composer's words, "The evocation of a frosty winter night".)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOgiKHhNxog