Wuorinen's Whirlygig

Started by karlhenning, September 07, 2007, 06:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Whores and martinis.....I dig on the GMG.

Allan

gomro

Quote from: edward on April 01, 2008, 11:23:44 AM
Fans of this composer may be interested in a new Naxos issue: http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559377

Incidentally, when I searched for wuorinen to find this thread, GMG informed me: You may have meant to search for whoring.

Whoring aside, I was just preparing to post a message about the advent of this disc when I ran across yours. Gotta git wuna dose!

greg

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on April 01, 2008, 01:35:23 PM
I just searched for Martinů...and it suggested "martini."  ;D

Who you trying to kid, Bruce? You were searching for "martini"!  ;D

karlhenning

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

greg

karlhenning

We never did link this, did we?

QuoteA Serialist Island Thrives in a Sea of Minimalism

karlhenning

Quote from: Steve SmithRecordings of large-scale pieces like the ones Mr. Levine has championed have been harder to come by. But there is cause for hope.

"We have media agreements in Boston which will allow us to do this properly," Mr. Levine said. "By 'properly,' I mean not that great rarity when we could put a symphony orchestra in the studio. But we can keep improving our live performances and the way they're recorded, and make available in all kinds of ways recordings of live things."

Now that BSO Classics has started to roll out recordings of the live performances, I avidly await the availability of the Fourth Concerto and the Eighth Symphony Theologoumena.

snyprrr

Wuorinen is the poster child for wearing one set of glasses on your nose, and another on your forehead!

I have SQ No.1 w/ Fine Arts Quartet (1970)...me no likey...at all.

But the Koch discs...trios,quintets,sextets,quartets...me likey. I love it when composers finally get their stride on.

But the Brokeback Mountain thing...oy! He IS, isn't he?

greg

Does he do the hand motions-thing when he talks, Karl?

karlhenning

Quote from: snyprrr on April 22, 2009, 12:41:10 PM
I have SQ No.1 w/ Fine Arts Quartet (1970)...me no likey...at all.

But the Koch discs...trios,quintets,sextets,quartets...me likey. I love it when composers finally get their stride on.

I need to revisit the First Quartet!  I don't remember disliking it.  Certainly do enjoy the Second.

QuoteBut the Brokeback Mountain thing...oy! He IS, isn't he?

I've never had any occasion to speculate on the matter.

karlhenning

Affirmed: the Second Quartet is top-shelf Wuorinen.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: snyprrr on April 22, 2009, 12:41:10 PM

Whether he is or he isn't, why set to music such a piece of trash? You'd think an artist of his reputation would have some standards.

karlhenning

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 23, 2009, 06:49:56 AM
Whether he is or he isn't, why set to music such a piece of trash?

One of the historical lessons of opera is, that a superly written opera transcends flaws from the literary source.

(Mind you, I have no opinion on the Proulx in this case, having neither read the book nor seen the film.)

QuoteYou'd think an artist of his reputation would have some standards.

Per the above, the selection of source here is absolutely no reflection on Wuorinen as an artist.

CRCulver

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on April 23, 2009, 06:49:56 AM
Whether he is or he isn't, why set to music such a piece of trash? You'd think an artist of his reputation would have some standards.

As if most repertoire operas were based on the highest quality original sources.

snyprrr

snyprrr

Dear Mr. Henning,
       You were listening to SQ No.2? The only recording on Koch w/Harvey and Peterson? What do you think of Wayne Peterson's Pulitzer Prize winning SQ? I forget what it sounds like (had that cd a long time ago, want it, but won't pay more than $1).

karlhenning

I've got that quartet on the Naxos reissue, which is All Wuorinen All the Time . . . don't know the Peterson.