Streaming Movie Suggestions

Started by ando, October 02, 2023, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ando

Hey. Got a great streaming movie suggestion? Share! Film tastes are as idiosyncratic as music so you never know who you're turning on to undiscovered new favorite. Also, if you could tell us the platform on which it's currently streaming (Netflix, YouTube, Max) that would be excellent. Thanks!!

The Age of Innocence (1993, Martin Scorsese) The Criterion Channel

Great Edith Wharton film interpretation of a 19th century upper class New York City love triangle that has stood the 30 year test of time. The cast is superb and Scorsese was at the top of his game. It left the channel for a bit and, frankly, its return got me to renew my subscription. Imo, when you have difficulty pinpointing the decade of a particularly well-made period drama (as I did with this one) it's usually the sign of a bonafide classic.

DavidW

I'll make some recommendations off of Tubi because it is free with limited ads.  Still might not be available outside of the US, I have no idea.

The Night of the Hunter:

And it is spooktober so let's get right to business with a couple favorites of mine:
George C Scott as a music professor staying in a haunted house--

The Wailing is a surprisingly exceptional subtle Korean horror film:

Iota

Quote from: DavidW on October 03, 2023, 01:49:21 AMThe Night of the Hunter:

Once seen, never forgotten. Great film.

ando

Quote from: DavidW on October 03, 2023, 01:49:21 AMI'll make some recommendations off of Tubi because it is free with limited ads.  Still might not be available outside of the US, I have no idea...
Great suggestions. I haven't streamed much from Tubi lately but it's good to see classics in their rotation. Thanks.

ando

Since we're doing free streaming suggestions - and Horror classics...

The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales (1960, Rogelio A. González) Free on YouTube

A taxidermist decides to murder his wife after having to put up with her after fifteen years of hellish marriage.
An almost perfect blend of comedy and horror. One of my faves. (For English subs tap gear icon and choose Subtitles/Auto-translate/English or preferred language from dropdown menu.)

ando

Topsy-Turvy (1999, Mike Leigh) Free on YouTube
Set in the 1880s, the story of how, during a creative dry spell, the partnership of the legendary musical/theatrical writers Gilbert and Sullivan almost dissolves, before they turn it all around and write the Mikado.

Light Opera version of Let's Put On A Show!  :)  Fun.

drogulus

Quote from: ando on October 04, 2023, 12:01:52 PMTopsy-Turvy (1999, Mike Leigh) Free on YouTube
Set in the 1880s, the story of how, during a creative dry spell, the partnership of the legendary musical/theatrical writers Gilbert and Sullivan almost dissolves, before they turn it all around and write the Mikado.

Light Opera version of Let's Put On A Show!  :)  Fun.

The Mike Leigh Players at their best. Highlight: Shirley Henderson singing "The sun whose rays are all ablaze".

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:122.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/122.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

ando

Quote from: drogulus on October 04, 2023, 07:35:25 PMThe Mike Leigh Players at their best. Highlight: Shirley Henderson singing "The sun whose rays are all ablaze".

Absolutely. Very nice coda from Henderson.

ando

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971, Mel Stuart)
A poor but hopeful boy seeks one of the five coveted golden tickets that will send him on a tour of Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory.

This original Willie Wonka had that special combo of ingredients that continues to make it a classic watch. Oscar nod for Best Score. Haven't seen the remake. Do I need to? Streaming free on tubi.  Nice behind-the-scenes featurette below.

ando

Departures (2008, Yojiro Takita)
Daigo, a cellist, laid off from his orchestra, moves with his wife back home and unwittingly becomes an undertaker's assistant.

Funny, poignant and charming little story about embracing major change. Nice soundtrack, as you might expect.  Streaming free on PLEX.

Daverz

DavidW

Yeah I just watched it a few weeks ago, it blew me away!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on October 06, 2023, 08:43:00 AMOnce Upon a Time in the West is on Amazon Prime video

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/once-upon-a-time-in-the-west
I don't know the movie, however I do know the Dire Straits' song...is there any relationship?

PD

T. D.

Quote from: Daverz on October 06, 2023, 08:43:00 AMOnce Upon a Time in the West is on Amazon Prime video

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/once-upon-a-time-in-the-west

Great film, but I've seen it too many times by now. The Henry Fonda character (Frank) is memorable to say the least.

I am a Sergio Leone fan and also recommend Once Upon a Time in America, but definitely the "director's cut" because the film as originally released was almost unintelligible.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on October 07, 2023, 07:11:00 PMGreat film, but I've seen it too many times by now. The Henry Fonda character (Frank) is memorable to say the least.
I'll have to check that one out...though initially the title of it made me think of the Dire Straits song.  ;)  :)

PD

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 08, 2023, 02:34:57 PMI'll have to check that one out...though initially the title of it made me think of the Dire Straits song.  ;)  :)

PD

Overall well worthwhile. IMO it runs too long and there are a few cheesy/forgettable segments [both part of the Sergio Leone MO], but there are ample memorable, even "classic" scenes.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on October 08, 2023, 02:56:58 PMOverall well worthwhile. IMO it runs too long and there are a few cheesy/forgettable segments [both part of the Sergio Leone MO], but there are ample memorable, even "classic" scenes.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it.  :)

As an aside, do you know the song?

PD

T. D.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 08, 2023, 03:13:04 PMThank you for sharing your thoughts about it.  :)

As an aside, do you know the song?

PD

Afraid I don't...Dire Straits is certainly a fine group, but my knowledge of them is confined to the early days: Sultans of Swing and a few singles of only slightly more recent vintage.

I'll try to find it on Youtube.

OK, it actually dates from the Sultans of Swing period but I don't recall ever hearing it.

[Added] I listened to some of it on Youtube. The intro has a Morricone film music quality that is surely an intentional hommage to either the film and/or Morricone. The title is clearly an allusion to the film.

Looked up the lyrics and they're extremely vague. To the extent there's a message I read it as criticism of American violent culture, not specifically the Old West.

Whereas the film has some historical themes about the building of transcontinental railroad lines and settlement of the West. Though plenty of the old ultraviolence as well  ;) [pretentious Clockwork Orange allusion - I read Burgess's novel and learned his nadsat dialect before the film came out  :laugh: ].

ando

Wuthering Heights (1939, William Wyler)
A servant in the house of Wuthering Heights tells a traveler the unfortunate tale of lovers Cathy and Heathcliff.

The magic ingredient of this Emily Bronte interpretation for me is the great cameraman, Greg Toland , who got an Oscar for his work. The look of this film stays with you long after the doomed love story is forgotten. Nice free streamer on YouTube and PLEX. It's really in need of a remaster.

ando

My horror pick for Mischief Night: an old fashioned classic

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956, Don Siegel)

"Sooner or later you'll have to go to sleep!"