Back on, finally.

Started by Dave B, October 29, 2023, 07:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave B

It's good to be back. Was here in 2008 and a couple of years ago. Reason for leaving? No idea.

DavidW

Dave B

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dave B on October 29, 2023, 07:30:06 PMIt's good to be back. Was here in 2008 and a couple of years ago. Reason for leaving? No idea.
Welcome back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dave B

Thanks, Karl. Much appreciated.

Florestan

What took you so long, I wonder?  ;D

Welcome back, Dave!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Welcome back and hopefully you have more time to submerge yourself in the  Classical experience.  :D

Dave B

Florestan

Quote from: Dave B on October 30, 2023, 08:51:32 AMI love classical music but I have a very rudimentary knowledge of it.

You don't need any knowledge. All you need is listen to whatever gives you pleasure. IIRC, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert and Chopin were among your favorites.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dave B

brewski

Welcome back, Dave B!

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Dave B

Papy Oli

Welcome back and happy listening!   8)
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dave B on October 30, 2023, 08:51:32 AMI don't know. I never was more than a classical music novice, I guess. Reading some threads here is like studying Chinese.
I love classical music but I have a very rudimentary knowledge of it. Am a retired criminal law trial attorney inner-city Boston courts. So we came out here to southeast Missouri and I end up as one of two Guardians ad Litem in child abuse and neglect cases for the Missouri 24th Judicial Circuit. In court all the time. So my only exposure to classical music is here and listening at home.
But I'm not leaving this forum again!
So much for retiring.  But a big thank you from the heart for looking out for the best interests of children.  ❤️  That must be rough to hear their stories and try to figure out what's best for them and figuring out how to best fight for them.

And nice to have you back!  And we're all learners here...that's what life is for (in my opinion anyway).

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dave B

Thank you. Yes, we're all learners.

Harry

Well it was some time ago I saw you on this forum, but yes welcome again! I hold you to your promise not to leave GMG again ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Scion7

Quote from: Dave B on October 30, 2023, 08:51:32 AMBut I'm not leaving this forum again!

We're glad to hear it - in a very real,
and legally-binding sense.  :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."