Golden Age of RCA and Mercury.

Started by Irons, November 21, 2023, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

A strange one. Album of British music recorded by Bob Fine and his Mercury recording team. The second photo of inside truck.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2023, 05:48:39 AMMiaskovsky/Rimsky-Korsakov
Bax

I hate to be pedantic but these recordings, excellent they might be, are not from RCA's golden age. They are from RCA's dark age, the dynagroove era!

I associate the RCA golden age with Lewis Layton

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2023, 06:19:59 AMI hate to be pedantic but these recordings, excellent they might be, are not from RCA's golden age. They are from RCA's dark age, the dynagroove era!

I associate the RCA golden age with Lewis Layton

Fair enough! They're just favourites of mine.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on November 25, 2023, 06:44:48 AMFair enough! They're just favourites of mine.

The Bax looks intriguing.

I don't see any evidence that it is available on CD.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2023, 06:45:54 AMThe Bax looks intriguing.

It isn't (don't get Jeffrey started......!)

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 25, 2023, 06:45:54 AMThe Bax looks intriguing.

It has never been on CD and is my favourite version of the 3rd Symphony  >:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2023, 07:56:59 AMIt has never been on CD and is my favourite version of the 3rd Symphony  >:(

I am imaging a comedy/thriller film about an eccentric collector who organizes a raid on the RCA vaults, in search of a long lost audio tape. Tom Cruise can be the lead (since Marty Feldman isn't available).

steve ridgway

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 26, 2023, 08:02:12 AMI am imaging a comedy/thriller film about an eccentric collector who organizes a raid on the RCA vaults, in search of a long lost audio tape. Tom Cruise can be the lead (since Marty Feldman isn't available).

Marty Feldman would be a better match for me! I once saw him give a talk at the Roundhouse in London and as a boy got his autograph at a Chelsea FC match (along with John Cleese and one or two others)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 26, 2023, 07:52:31 AMIt isn't (don't get Jeffrey started......!)
Lyrita were once thinking of issuing it but it never happened. Also I didn't realise at the time that I was communicating with the conductor's (Sir Edward Downes) son who worked for Lyrita. When he wrote that 'my father would like to see it released as well' I just assumed that his dad was another eccentric Bax fan. I then got into trouble for 'announcing' that the RCA Bax 3rd was going to be issued by Lyrita' when I had only suggested it as a possibility - but, as RS implies, let's not go there... ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Irons on November 24, 2023, 01:18:01 PMBob Fine's mobile recording studio in Moscow.

Not clear why the truck would be parked outside the Cathedral of Vasily, except for a publicity photo.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 27, 2023, 04:43:12 AMCool picture!  8)

PD

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 27, 2023, 04:49:01 AMNot clear why the truck would be parked outside the Cathedral of Vasily, except for a publicity photo.

"The photo above was shot by Harold Lawrence, Mercury's Musical Director at the time.  In the photo you can see my father getting scolded by a Moscow policeman for parking the truck on Red Square. They were driving toward the Tchaikovsky Conservatory after picking up the truck at a rail yard outside Moscow, and everyone wanted to snap photos at Red Square, so my father pulled over. CBS News captured footage of Mercury's recording trip to Moscow which was edited into a feature story that ran on the CBS Evening News."

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The central presence is strong while the 1960 recording is stereo. It sounds like a mixture of stereo and mono. Plus strong bass. Nice performance and interesting/attractive sound.

Mookalafalas

Posting so as to subscrible. I'm a big fan of both labels.
It's all good...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Maria Callas at Scala. Love the cover as well. Was this recorded after her association with Luchino Visconti?

ritter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 31, 2024, 07:41:01 PMMaria Callas at Scala. Love the cover as well. Was this recorded after her association with Luchino Visconti?

The first production on which Callas and Visconti worked together was Spontini's La Vestale, which opened the La Scala season on December 7th, 1954 (that was Visconti's debut as an operatic director). The poster of that performance presides the entrance hall of my flat.

Their last joint new production was Gluck's Ifigenia in Tauride (like that, in Italian) which opened in June 1957. Their last work together was a revival in April 1958 of the production of Anna Bolena which had premiered one year earlier. All their collaborations (five productions in total) were at La Scala.

That Medea was recorded in September 1957, so it's from the tail end of the period of collaboration between Visconti and Callas (but they never worked together on that particular opera).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Rafael, thank you for the info. I'm a fan of Luchino Visconti, and as you already know, the Visconti family was the patron of La Scala (and many other institutions in Milan). I find it fascinating that L. Visconti had a few romantic relationships with ladies. When he was young, he dated Coco Chanel.

Irons

Byron Janis: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.3. Recorded Watford Town Hall.
Piano Concerto No.2. Recorded Northrop Auditorium, Minneapolis.

Janis is the equal of my favourite recording of 3, Ashkenazy on Decca, and I have not heard a stronger rendition of 2.

The Minneapolis recording is clearer and less congested at climaxes then Watford. I am slightly puzzled by this as they were recorded within a year of each other. A possible explanation is that 35mm magnetic film used at Watford with half-inch tape as backup. For transfer to CD the backup tape was used as 35mm tape unavailable. For Minneapolis the recording was transferred with the original 3-track half-inch tape.

George

Janis/Dorati is my overall favorite Rach 3.

For Rach 2, Richter/Wislocki is my favorite.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure