Hi. I found you!

Started by ghmath, November 25, 2023, 04:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Quote from: ghmath on November 28, 2023, 05:47:38 AMDear Bruce,
Nobody seems to be inerested. Only you  :)
It is the house where Mahler was born, in Kalischt (now Kalište), Bohemia. Some three months after Gustav's birth the family meved to Jihlava (then Iglau), where Gustav's father owned a distillery and several taverns.
I visited both places in 2008. The house is remodelled, and in 2008 they received guests. It was not easy to find the place, although I went with a native german friend living not far from there. We have not GPS then. Gustav grew in Jihlava, where there are several museums and hotels with his name.

Guillermo

Heavens, as a longtime Mahler fan I should know that! (I have seen photos of the small cottage where he composed, but don't recall seeing this building.)

How great that you were able to visit it.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ghmath

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 28, 2023, 08:14:49 AMNo, I tried using Google images search--with no luck--as I was also curious.

PD

It is a personal photo. I was there.

ghmath

I assume that you are a Sibelius follower. Me too.

Deepsea

Hello dear musimath, thanks for showing me this nice place.

Brian

Welcome! Are you real-life friends?

Deepsea

Only for almost the last 20 years despite living 5 time zones apart :D

DavidW

Quote from: Deepsea on December 02, 2023, 01:19:53 PMOnly for almost the last 20 years despite living 5 time zones apart :D

Yeah I get that.  I have friends that I haven't seen since like the 90s that I still talk to on the phone.

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

ghmath

ghmath

Quote from: ghmath on December 05, 2023, 06:18:38 AMWho?

Deepsea and I?
Yes, we are long ago friends. Very close friends!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ghmath on December 05, 2023, 06:57:13 AMDeepsea and I?
Yes, we are long ago friends. Very close friends!
Nice!  Have you ever been able to get together in person?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ghmath

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2023, 07:49:30 AMNice!  Have you ever been able to get together in person?

PD

Yes. In Spain, where he lives. I visited Spain four times.
In a former post I asked you if you are a Sibelius fan.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ghmath on December 05, 2023, 10:07:30 AMYes. In Spain, where he lives. I visited Spain four times.
In a former post I asked you if you are a Sibelius fan.

Pardon, but I thought that at the minimum that I had hit like?  And, yes, that's why I chose my name.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ghmath

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 05, 2023, 11:14:16 AMAnd, yes, that's why I chose my name.  :)

PD

Among many albums of Sibelius music I own one that I specially appreciate, with Lemminkäinen Legends, En Saga by Esa-Pekka Salonen. Not only by the reading, but also by its sound. Do you know it?

A question: is there a way to insert a picture in a post?
Cheers

Mapman

Quote from: ghmath on December 08, 2023, 05:39:26 AMA question: is there a way to insert a picture in a post?

There are two ways. If the image is hosted on another website (Amazon, Discogs, etc.) you can copy the image link (by right-clicking it) and attach it by clicking the image button (to the right of the YouTube button in the menu bar for posts and replies).

You can also upload an image directly to the forum when using the regular reply option. (Not Quick Reply; click preview to move from Quick Reply to the regular reply interface.)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ghmath on December 08, 2023, 05:39:26 AMAmong many albums of Sibelius music I own one that I specially appreciate, with Lemminkäinen Legends, En Saga by Esa-Pekka Salonen. Not only by the reading, but also by its sound. Do you know it?

A question: is there a way to insert a picture in a post?
Cheers
No, I don't know that specific album.  Sounds like that is a favorite of yours.  How did you run across it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Scion7

This? btw, we should move such discussions over to the Sibelius thread ...
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Scion7 on December 08, 2023, 06:09:33 AMThis? btw, we should move such discussions over to the Sibelius thread ...
Agreed.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

ghmath

Thanks. Yes, this is the album!
I included it here because this was an answer to Pohjolas Daughter.

As to replies and quick replies: if I want to quote someone's post the only alternative is quick reply?

Please remember that I am new here. :)

ghmath

I will open soon a new thread about Mahler, after reviewing former threads.