Hi. I found you!

Started by ghmath, November 25, 2023, 04:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: ghmath on December 08, 2023, 10:55:25 AMI will open soon a new thread about Mahler, after reviewing former threads.
You might want to contribute to the Mahler thread already open.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ghmath

By the way, another newbie question: say I write a draft and before sending it decide not to send it. Is there a way to discard this draft?

ghmath

Quote from: Karl Henning on December 08, 2023, 11:01:41 AMYou might want to contribute to the Mahler thread already open.
Thank you Karl.

ritter

Quote from: ghmath on December 08, 2023, 11:03:15 AMBy the way, another newbie question: say I write a draft and before sending it decide not to send it. Is there a way to discard this draft?
If you have saved a draft to post later, and then change your mind, you can go to your personal menu (the icon on the top left of the screen) and hit "My Drafts". All your drafts will be listed, and the option to delete any of them appears next to each one.

Mapman

Quote from: ghmath on December 08, 2023, 10:47:08 AMAs to replies and quick replies: if I want to quote someone's post the only alternative is quick reply?

After quoting someone, you can click "Preview" in the lower-right to switch to the full reply interface.

ghmath

Thanks a lot Mapman and ritter.
Guillermo

Mandryka

Quote from: ghmath on November 26, 2023, 04:16:21 AMFavorite composers: Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler. "Roughly" in this order.
Performers. Oh la la! I qualify a soloist, conductor, ensemble, as favorite when I find that, IMHO, he (she, they) plays some works better than others. But, generally, I have not absolute favorites. Example: I love many Horowitz performances, but I don't like his reading of Schubert's D960.
That said, Horowitz, Richter, Berman, Pletnev, Sokolov, Ashkenazy, Annie Fischer, Arrau, ... are favorites among (old) pianists, but there are some young pianists that approach this level: Federico Colli, Anna Fedorova, David Frey, Aleksandra Mikulska, ...
David Oistrakh, Itzhak Perlman, Joseph Silverstein, ... among violinists, Janet Baker, Peter Schreier, Thomas Hampson, among singers (not opera), Wiener, Berliner, Concertgebouw, London Symphony, ... among orchestras, Pierre Monteux, Wilhelm Furtwangler, Bernard Haitink, Simon Rattle, Leonard Bernstein, Klaus Tennstedt, ... among conductors.
Obviously this list is very incomplete, I didn't include some names that don't come to my mind now. Surely we will continue to talk about in the future.

A belated welcome from me, and a thankyou for mentioning Aleksandra Makulska, a new name for me - I've been enjoying her Chopin op 58 sonata this evening. Confident, passionate, inspired playing.

I can see she recorded it twice - this is the one I listened to

https://www.qobuz.com/au-en/album/chopin-piano-sonata-no-3-in-b-minor-op-58-aleksandra-mikulska/4260005916201
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen