Heinrich von Herzogenberg (1843-1900)

Started by Greta, September 08, 2007, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: JoshLilly on April 03, 2008, 08:09:51 AM
You can download free clips of his music, courtesy of the International Draeseke Society:

http://www.draeseke.org/mp3clips.htm

This includes his complete Symphony #3, the Sinfonia tragica.

Frustrating :( The symphony sounds very appealing, but the sound quality is beyond necro... :-X
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

SonicMan46

BOY - 2 years since a post was made to this thread!  :o

At the time, I had shown just 3 discs in my possession, just added a new one (in the listening thread today) and also had added 4 others (one a double) over that time; all Chamber Works - still have not tried any symphonies!  :-\

So, let's bring Heirrich von H. up to date - any one else have comments, new additions, or further recommendations?

Leo K.

I just recieved the CPO recording of his Symphonies 1 & 2, and I look forward to hearing these soon!

snyprrr

Quote from: SonicMan on May 09, 2010, 07:16:33 AM
BOY - 2 years since a post was made to this thread!  :o

At the time, I had shown just 3 discs in my possession, just added a new one (in the listening thread today) and also had added 4 others (one a double) over that time; all Chamber Works - still have not tried any symphonies!  :-\

So, let's bring Heirrich von H. up to date - any one else have comments, new additions, or further recommendations?

Well?,... Well??

Is there a String Quartet Masterpiece (was there a g minor? ;D)? Or the Piano Quintet?

taptaptap,... taptaptap,... taptaptap,...

The new erato

Quote from: SonicMan on May 09, 2010, 07:16:33 AM

I have this and it hasn't impressed me much. It stays, however, firmly in the "To play again" pile in the hope that I may eventually find something there.

These two discs by other contemporaries of Brahms have however impressed me much:

and they are now firmly embedded in my various wish lists.

SonicMan46

Quote from: The new erato on March 24, 2011, 05:00:21 AM
I have this and it hasn't impressed me much. It stays, however, firmly in the "To play again" pile in the hope that I may eventually find something there.

These two discs by other contemporaries of Brahms have however impressed me much:

and they are now firmly embedded in my various wish lists.

Well, I've not listened to H v H in a while, so will have to plan a run of his chamber works in the near future.  However, I also own the 2 discs shown above and enjoy!   :)

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 09, 2010, 07:16:33 AM

WOW. This set is amazing!!! Just dipping into the piano quartets and was amazed by the sheer beauty.

Scion7

Wish I had the entire CPO output for this guy, but, me don't.   :(

He's always a good listen.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Fafner

I notice a fair number of comments that Herzogenberg's music is undistinguished or unremarkable.   I have trouble relating that to my experience, listening to Herzogenberg's first symphony, which I would put in the first rank among "obscure" composers. 

Although it is not uncommon to see composers of the late 19th century compared to Brahms, often the real meaning is that they are not in the opposing Wagner/Liszt camp.  Herzogenberg is one of the few that I would consider a true Brahmsian, in that his music eschews broad tunes and theatrics in favor of symphonic logic, motific development, and harmonies which seem to blend light and darkness (major/minor) in an organic way. 

In the first symphony, I was impressed with the stark chords that opened the slow introduction, which continued with development of a rhythmic/melodic motif through many harmonic contexts and transformations.  The following allegro seems to grow organically from the introduction, and in the coda comes to an apothesis which forshadows (for me) the coda of the first movement of Brahms' forth symphony.  Another wonderful bit of magic in the piece is the central section of the second (nominally slow) movement.  It is a delicate bit of work which seems to be simultaneously quietly joyful and sad.  I thought only Brahms could pull that sort of thing off with such success.  The tense, intermezzo/scherzo leads to a finale which perhaps evokes the mood of Brahms' first symphony finale, and comes to a suitably uplifting conclusion. 

I am looking forward to hearing more from this composer (so far this is the first work I have listened to).

cilgwyn

I haven't heard a note of this composer,but I feel I must say that the name,'Heinrich von Herzogenberg' & Cpo's,usual interesting choice of artwork is temptation enough,in itself!
  Another intriguing composer name appears to have aroused some derision (and sceptism) on the old,defunct,but still accessible (on the web) forum. I must say,in all fairest to the forgotten,but very ambitious, August Bungert,who appears to have outdone Wagner in the sheer scale of his operatic trilogy;I have had the good fortune to hear some instrumental music & an oratorio by Bungert and,even if the name sounds rather amusing (to our eyes & ears) I was actually very impressed by what I heard. Unfortunately,they were from radio broadcasts,so they are not commercially available. Maybe Cpo should have a go!

Going back to Cpo's artwork. I particularly like the 'painting' on the front of the cd of his Wind Quintet/ Wind trio. Does anyone here know who the painting is by,so I can google him/her & find some more?  Is it just a detail? The composition cunningly draws you towards the horizon.
Not bad at all,imho. It would look great on my wall! ;D

Fafner

cpo seems to reserve their most interesting covers for Bischoff

[asin]B001E2V8OK[/asin]

But that's a bit off-topic.  I went on to the second symphony of Herzogenberg (from the same cpo release as the first) and found it different but also rewarding.  More in the vein of Dvorak than Brahms (sunny and tuneful) but just as skillfully done as the first.  My only gripe, that the finale seems chopped off, the coda lacking a proper conclusion.  I don't know if the fault lies with the composer or the performers.

71 dB

I listened to Herzogenberg for the first time on Spotify, this cpo disc of Piano Quintet, Op. 17 and String Quartet, Op 63.

I have to say I found this music unimpressive. Soft and nice, but not very interesting.

[asin]B002985NNA[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on February 13, 2016, 12:31:10 AM
I listened to Herzogenberg for the first time on Spotify, this cpo disc of Piano Quintet, Op. 17 and String Quartet, Op 63.

I have to say I found this music unimpressive. Soft and nice, but not very interesting.

Hi Poju - I have 9 CDs of Herzogenberg's music and generally enjoy; he was a great friend of Brahms and may have been overly influenced and of course w/ much less originality - attached is a Jerry Dubins review of the disc in question, if interested - also Scott Morrison on Amazon rates the recording 4/5*, which would likely be my rating; so, as stated a nice disc but one that I don't return to often.  Dave :)

71 dB

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 13, 2016, 07:38:35 AM
Hi Poju - I have 9 CDs of Herzogenberg's music and generally enjoy; he was a great friend of Brahms and may have been overly influenced and of course w/ much less originality - attached is a Jerry Dubins review of the disc in question, if interested - also Scott Morrison on Amazon rates the recording 4/5*, which would likely be my rating; so, as stated a nice disc but one that I don't return to often.  Dave :)

Dave, I am just checking out some of the "obscure" composers released by cpo. There is no need for me to force myself to like all of them.

Jo498

I have one or two Herzogenberg discs but it's too long I have heard them. (I was not sufficiently impressed to get more...)
If you are interested in composers "around Brahms" check out a cpo twofer with a symphony and a violin concerto by Albert Dietrich (who contributed one movement to the "f-a-e-sonata"). The first two movements of the symphony are very good, the finale is a little shallow but overall the piece is a pleasant surprise.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on February 14, 2016, 12:54:10 AM
I have one or two Herzogenberg discs but it's too long I have heard them. (I was not sufficiently impressed to get more...)
If you are interested in composers "around Brahms" check out a cpo twofer with a symphony and a violin concerto by Albert Dietrich (who contributed one movement to the "f-a-e-sonata"). The first two movements of the symphony are very good, the finale is a little shallow but overall the piece is a pleasant surprise.

Herzogenberg was a random choice. Now listening to Albert Dietrich's symphony.  ;)

amw

As far as HvH goes I have a few discs but, at the moment, only remember the set with the three violin sonatas which were surprisingly good. As good as Raff's or Robert Kahn's. Draw your own conclusions from that comparison ;)

mc ukrneal

I like the symphony best, but have enjoyed several discs of his music:
[asin]B000M2EBVK[/asin]
[asin]B006G6KSEK[/asin]
[asin]B000BH2TZ6[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on February 14, 2016, 12:33:25 AM
Dave, I am just checking out some of the "obscure" composers released by cpo. There is no need for me to force myself to like all of them.

Hi again Poju - over the last few days, I listened to what I owned of Herzogenberg - enjoyed the chamber music and the piano CD (shown by Neal) the most - but I agree he may be down a rung or two on the ladder - would more likely pull out a Brahms or Dvorak disc if I wanted to listen to some chamber works from the era - ;)  Dave

P.S. while listening yesterday, I looked on Amazon for any other discs that might be of interest - the two shown below looked like possibilities, but not cheap - the piano set contains 3 discs & the Requiem has 2 discs - but would appreciate any comments from those who may own these recordings - thanks. 

Scion7

Amazon doesn't appear to have it in inventory currently - but it's around.

Divox is a quite nice little company.

Oh, bother, this is about the Duo for Cello & Piano piece. Back to business.
This is what late conservative Romantic chamber music is all about. 0:)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."