Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

Quote from: sound67 on September 09, 2007, 01:37:31 PM
Save your money. Buy only the concertos he wrote "late" in life, the ones that sound more like Beethoven than early Beethoven does.

Don't agree.  The concertos from no. 5 up can safely be recommended.

Que

Quote from: sound67 on September 09, 2007, 01:37:31 PM
Save your money. Buy only the concertos he wrote "late" in life, the ones that sound more like Beethoven than early Beethoven does.

I disagree, I find all of Mozart's keyboard concertos worthwhile. Even the harpsichord concertos (nos.1-4) that are adaptations of works of other composers are delightfull! :)

That being said, I also found that basically only the "later" concertos really work in non-HIP performances. It has to do with the balance in the score between the piano and the other instruments/orchestra.
So, there you go - I keep recommending HIP recordings.... ;D

Q

George

Quote from: Que on September 09, 2007, 06:18:56 PM
So, there you go - I keep recommending HIP recordings.... ;D

Q

I'm surprised.  ::)

;D

val

Regarding a complete set by the same artist muy choice would be Perahia. Very poetic and touching. To me he gave the best ersion of the Concertos 5, 6, 11, 15, 16 , 18 and 23.

Regarding other interpretations, I suggest Ashkenazy with Kertesz in the 8th and 9th and with Isserstedt in the 20th, Geza Anda in the 13 and 21, Haskil in the 19 and 27 (with Fricsay) and the 24 with Markevitch, Casadesus with Szell in the 26, Fleischer with Szell in the 25, Annie Fischer with Sawallisch in the 21 and 22.
And, above all, Rudolf Serkin (with Schneider or Szell) in the 10, 12, 17, 19 and 20, and with Ormandy in the 27.

m_gigena

What about the Koopman-Haebler-Brendel set on Philips?

MishaK

My top choice is still Barenboim/BPO. There is a meeting of minds between orchestra and soloist here that few others match. And Barenboim has an excellent feel for the essentially operatic style of Mozart's writing. It's very tastefully played, but Barenboim is not afraid to make the minor-key movements appropriately dark. It's not your cutesy Meissen-porcelain-Mozart. The cycle does not have Nos.1-4, but does include the concerti for 2 and 3 pianos (with Solti and Schiff and the ECO) on DVD (previously available on CD from Decca). My second choice would be Anda.

BorisG

Quote from: O Mensch on September 10, 2007, 07:18:20 AM
My top choice is still Barenboim/BPO. There is a meeting of minds between orchestra and soloist here that few others match. And Barenboim has an excellent feel for the essentially operatic style of Mozart's writing. It's very tastefully played, but Barenboim is not afraid to make the minor-key movements appropriately dark. It's not your cutesy Meissen-porcelain-Mozart. The cycle does not have Nos.1-4, but does include the concerti for 2 and 3 pianos (with Solti and Schiff and the ECO) on DVD (previously available on CD from Decca). My second choice would be Anda.

The Warner Barenboim exhibits good playing, though in many concerti they lack the sprightness of the ECO, as in Barenboim's EMI set.

Also, I do not think Barenboim and the BPO's playing is exhibited to its fullest, because of indifferent engineering. In comparison to the EMI set, the sound is muddier, and featured players are poorly spot-miced (adding to that, the BPO is recessed). Thus, a lot of sameness can develop for the listener.

MishaK

Quote from: BorisG on September 10, 2007, 09:59:27 AM
The Warner Barenboim exhibits good playing, though in many concerti they lack the sprightness of the ECO, as in Barenboim's EMI set.

Also, I do not think Barenboim and the BPO's playing is exhibited to its fullest, because of indifferent engineering. In comparison to the EMI set, the sound is muddier, and featured players are poorly spot-miced (adding to that, the BPO is recessed). Thus, a lot of sameness can develop for the listener.

I disagree on that. And the ECO on the EMI set just doesn't phrase as well as the BPO. The dialogue between soloist and orchestra on the BPO set is special, particularly in the late concertos.

BorisG

Quote from: O Mensch on September 10, 2007, 11:09:58 AM
I disagree on that. And the ECO on the EMI set just doesn't phrase as well as the BPO. The dialogue between soloist and orchestra on the BPO set is special, particularly in the late concertos.

I think the phrasing, the dialogue, are better on the EMI, because the BPO is retaining a considerable amount of their big band poise. Also, the aforementioned orchestra positioning and sound differences do not help the BPO in this instance.

Mark

Quote from: George on September 08, 2007, 03:51:54 PM
OK Mark, here it is:

Link to finale from D minor by Serkin, Anda, Perahia (repectively)

I am very curious to hear what you think. Please let me know.

George, thanks for these samples. Very helpful indeed. I'd subconciously thought I'd go with the Perahia set, then I heard the Anda and was converted. ;D Much better sonics, for one thing, and slightly more ... I want to say 'precise playing', but I'm sure that's not exactly what I mean.

Anyway, cheers!

(Anyone got a Barenboim sample from either set that they'd care to upload for further comparison?)

George

Quote from: Mark on September 10, 2007, 02:22:08 PM
George, thanks for these samples. Very helpful indeed. I'd subconciously thought I'd go with the Perahia set, then I heard the Anda and was converted. ;D Much better sonics, for one thing, and slightly more ... I want to say 'precise playing', but I'm sure that's not exactly what I mean.

Anyway, cheers!

(Anyone got a Barenboim sample from either set that they'd care to upload for further comparison?)

I think I like Anda more as well. You have superb taste.  ;D

Mark

Quote from: George on September 10, 2007, 02:56:40 PM
I think I like Anda more as well. You have superb taste.  ;D

I've been trained by the best, George. ;) ;D

Do you have a link to the set on sale anywhere? I looked but drew a blank. :(

Novi

Quote from: Mark on September 10, 2007, 02:59:38 PM
I've been trained by the best, George. ;) ;D

Do you have a link to the set on sale anywhere? I looked but drew a blank. :(

Mark, it's £18.97 at amazon - I got one a couple of weeks ago. That's a great price, imo.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

George

Quote from: Novitiate on September 10, 2007, 03:12:34 PM
Mark, it's £18.97 at amazon - I got one a couple of weeks ago. That's a great price, imo.

Indeed.  :)

Bogey

George,
Wjat was your feelings about the Jos van Immerseel recordings that you have sampled?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on September 10, 2007, 05:58:33 PM
George,
Wjat was your feelings about the Jos van Immerseel recordings that you have sampled?

It wasn't my cup of tea, but then I am rarely taken by HIP recordings. An exception to this might be some Baroque music. 

Bogey

Quote from: George on September 10, 2007, 06:00:48 PM
It wasn't my cup of tea, but then I am rarely taken by HIP recordings. An exception to this might be some Baroque music. 

That's what I thought....fair enough.  :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mark

Quote from: Novitiate on September 10, 2007, 03:12:34 PM

Thanks for that. Must've misspelled something in my initial search. ;D

George

Quote from: Mark on September 10, 2007, 09:42:45 PM
Thanks for that. Must've misspelled something in my initial search. ;D

Hope it wasn't Anda::)  ;)  ;D