Author Topic: Mozart Piano Concertos  (Read 111918 times)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: Mozart Piano Concertos
« Reply #540 on: December 20, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
On LP? Or was that ever released on CD?
I think I'm listening to home-made LP transfers (but that's not the cause of the bad sound, apart from some groove wear in the loud parts—rather a near-anechoic acoustic and some woodwinds that have not aged well) but wouldn't be surprised if they had appeared on CD at some point. Likely deleted now.

Sony Classical owns the rights and is a rapidly-crashing zeppelin, so I'm guessing they'll appear in some ultra cheap box set eventually.

Offline ShineyMcShineShine

Re: Mozart Piano Concertos
« Reply #541 on: February 17, 2016, 08:52:30 PM »
I've been auditioning many of these recordings and have noticed that nearly all of them demonstrate an odd audio effect which I suspect is due to the way the pianos are miked. It's hard to describe but it basically involves ambient or extraneous sound. It can range from a sense of a mike on an empty stage with the gain turned all the way up picking up faint air currents, to a rustling, fluttery noise. In Brendel's recordings with Mackerras I can also hear what I assume is Brendel's mutterings, so that provides a clue as to the mike's position. The most dramatic example I've encountered is Annerose Schmidt and the Dresdner Philharmonie Orchestra with Kurt Masur. If you use Spotify, I've included a link below. Does anyone know what causes this effect?

https://open.spotify.com/album/36GpAjZa1lDAHMw99gDtZo