Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshLilly

Bilson, the whole Bilson, and nothing but the Bilson!
However, I have to say that Casadesus is virtually untouchable in how he handles the (inappropriately modern!  ;D) piano in the first movement of the #21. Only the Bilson complete set version comes close. I think Casadesus is the best for non-HIP in some of the later concerti.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JoshLilly on December 12, 2007, 02:43:34 PM
Bilson, the whole Bilson, and nothing but the Bilson!
However, I have to say that Casadesus is virtually untouchable in how he handles the (inappropriately modern!  ;D) piano in the first movement of the #21. Only the Bilson complete set version comes close. I think Casadesus is the best for non-HIP in some of the later concerti.

Yes yes and yes. You have very good taste, Josh (see my sidebar)  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Haydn Symphonies 88 - 90 Tafelmusik - Tafelmusik / Bruno Weil - Hob 01 088 Symphony #88 in G 1st mvmt - Adagio - Allegro
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

SW - as you know, we've gone through this process before (deja vu!), so you'll get plenty of varied opinions, depending on HIP vs. non-HIP, 'new' vs. historic recordings, and whatever one feels is important in these works - I could not make up my mind (love Wolfie!), so I have 3 sets - like them all:

jwinter

Quote from: SonicMan on December 12, 2007, 02:59:04 PM
SW - as you know, we've gone through this process before (deja vu!), so you'll get plenty of varied opinions, depending on HIP vs. non-HIP, 'new' vs. historic recordings, and whatever one feels is important in these works - I could not make up my mind (love Wolfie!), so I have 3 sets - like them all:

I have the same three (had Perahia at one point too and sold it on).  I find it interesting that my two favorite modern instrument sets (Anda & Schiff) are both done with the same orchestra, albeit 40 years apart.  Not sure if that's coincidence, or if there's some institutional way they have with Mozart that appeals to me.  If you want a 1st set and can tolerate a tiny bit of tape hiss, Anda is your man.

For individual recordings, I'll 2nd the votes for Cassadeus or Serkin with Szell.  Also, the 2-fer of Rubinstein & Krips is really something special IMO, it's a shame he didn't record more of them.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Bogey

Quote from: Que on December 12, 2007, 01:30:19 PM
Perahia's set is good, but too "glamorous" for my taste.

I also think is a weak recording for the ECO...which surprises me.

Quote from: Que on December 12, 2007, 01:30:19 PM

Nothin' but net!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Don

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on December 12, 2007, 11:15:55 AM
I'm about to hit Buy Now on this set:

Anybody have a different opinion?  ;D

I think the Perahia is a fine choice; as pointed out earlier, he can be rather bland but I don't find his Mozart bland at all.  Other favored sets include Anda, Schiff, Barenboim and Bilson.  I would include Uchida also except that her conductor is the ho-hum Tate.

For a super-budget set, I recommend the Arte Nova with Matthias Kirschnereit on piano.

anasazi

The Perehia set is on my wish list also.  I still have many of these on vinyl. Wonderful Mozart recordings!
The only competition for me, is the Goode/Orpheus recordings - but those aren't a complete set anyway.

MN Dave

Don, did Brendel do these? What's the verdict on those?

12tone.

I have the Ashkenazy set.  It's been good.   :D

Mark

From what I've heard of the Anda set, it would be my choice. Heard a little Perehia but it just didn't float my boat. :-\

val

I think that, regarding the complete piano concertos, Perahia is the best choice. My second choice would be Geza Anda.

But Perahia has some sublime moments: the 18h Concerto is a miracle of poetry, in special the 2nd movement. To me, Perahia is also the best interpreter of the 5, 6, 15, 16 and 23. But in all the other he is remarkable, even if I prefer the young Ashkenazy in the 8, 9 and 20, Anda in the 14 and 21, Serkin in the 10 (with his son), 12, 17, 20 and 27. Not to mention Haskil, Curzon, Annie Fischer.

I wish that Leo McCawley, who recorded a sensational version of the complete Sonatas, will some day consider to record the Concertos.

MichaelRabin

Any further/detailed comments of the Andras Schiff set - 'cos the CAMS is a fantastic orch under Sandor Vegh?

Todd

Quote from: MN Dave on December 12, 2007, 04:10:34 PMDon, did Brendel do these? What's the verdict on those?

I'm not Don, but I can say that Brendel has recorded a number of the concertos, some of them multiple times.  I prefer his newer recordings from the last few years to his 70s recordings.  Indeed, all of his most recent Mozart recordings are among the best things he's done.

To the question of the thread: my first choice is Schiff / Vegh.  I also have Perahia and Barenboim's first cycle (may have to try his second).  I've not got around to Anda yet, though I think I'll rectify that next year.  The best concertos come from incomplete though meaty sets, of course: Casadesus, Haskil, Moravec (both Supraphon and Hanssler), and Serkin (CBS/Sony) all pop into mind. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MN Dave

Quote from: Todd on December 13, 2007, 05:15:14 AM

I'm not Don, but I can say that Brendel has recorded a number of the concertos, some of them multiple times.  I prefer his newer recordings from the last few years to his 70s recordings.  Indeed, all of his most recent Mozart recordings are among the best things he's done.

To the question of the thread: my first choice is Schiff / Vegh.  I also have Perahia and Barenboim's first cycle (may have to try his second).  I've not got around to Anda yet, though I think I'll rectify that next year.  The best concertos come from incomplete though meaty sets, of course: Casadesus, Haskil, Moravec (both Supraphon and Hanssler), and Serkin (CBS/Sony) all pop into mind. 

Thanks, Todd.

jwinter

Quote from: Todd on December 13, 2007, 05:15:14 AM

...Barenboim's first cycle (may have to try his second)....

I have 20-27 from Barenboim's BPO cycle, and I quite enjoy them.  It's definitely big-boned, old-fashioned Mozart, but it's not as heavy or slow as that might sound -- it's surprisingly swift in places, actually.  It works very well in something like PC20, where a bit of orchestral power is a good thing IMO.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Todd

Quote from: jwinter on December 13, 2007, 06:21:50 AM...something like PC20, where a bit of orchestral power is a good thing IMO.

Can't argue with that.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MishaK

Quote from: jwinter on December 13, 2007, 06:21:50 AM
I have 20-27 from Barenboim's BPO cycle, and I quite enjoy them.  It's definitely big-boned, old-fashioned Mozart, but it's not as heavy or slow as that might sound -- it's surprisingly swift in places, actually.  It works very well in something like PC20, where a bit of orchestral power is a good thing IMO.

The entire cycle is excellent. It's my top choice. There is something special here when you have a pianist/conductor who has actually conducted all of Mozart's major operas and who can make the link between Mozart's operatic and pianistic writing apparent. The dialogues between orchestra and soloist are extremely well thought out and at every turn you are reminded of excerpts from different operas. I don't find the reduced BPO too big boned here either. It's much leaner, e.g. than Böhm's Mozart symphonies cycle.

Dancing Divertimentian

Schiff/Vegh has been my default preference for ages, even though I don't actually have the entire cycle. But it's "only" the earlier concertos that aren't represented (pre-19th).

I used to own the entire Anda cycle and fondly recall it's qualities. I wish I still had it.

The nuggets by Goode/Orpheus (mentioned earlier) are splendid indeed and are highly recommendable. Someone should prod these forces into tackling a complete cycle...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

adamdavid80

Quote from: Manuel on September 10, 2007, 05:44:59 AM
What about the Koopman-Haebler-Brendel set on Philips?

The Brendel set is - as sets go -  my favorite.  I have Uchida, Brendel, Anda, and Perahia sets now, and a majority of the Perahia interpretations.  Perahia does my favorite interpretation of the 19th (though he apparently slows down Mozart's intended tempo), Brendel does my favorite 21st.  Uchida for some reason doesn't click for me - very sweet, lush orchestration by Tate.  Gilels does a wonderful 27th.

The Anda I only picked up last week, so I'm still learning it.
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

Sorin Eushayson

Quote from: Que on September 08, 2007, 11:25:30 PM
For HIP my favourite is Jos van Immerseel on Channel Classics (complete, but excludes concertos 1-4 that were written for harpsichord) These actually are in state-of-the-art-recordings....

Somehow I had overlooked this one.  I have the Gardiner/Bilson set, which is fine, but you need a little variety sometimes, ya know?  Ordered!  ;D  Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Que!  ;)