Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Mozart's piano concertos!
Lovely, lovely, lovely! [etc.]

I prefer the sound of a fortepiano, accompanied by old instruments.
Bilson/Gardiner maybe wins it when you compare the sound of the recordings, but Van Immerseel offers far more variety, IMO. If I had to select, I'd definitely choose Van Immerseel.

About the modern piano I can't really 'judge'. But somehow I do like Zacharias.

Though no one can beat Clara Haskil!

Sorin Eushayson

After listening to both the Bilson/Gardiner and Immerseel sets my overall impression was that Gardiner's was a lot more lively on the whole than Immerseel's, with upbeat tempi and playing; Immerseel saunters through most of the faster movements, though he handles the slower ones wonderfully.  Immerseel's is definitely the best technically-speaking; the fortepiano/orchestra balance in the Gardiner cycle is a bit off, tipped in favour of the orchestra.  However, technical quality comes second to the quality of the performances themselves for me, so Gardiner's is the one I plug in most often.  Also, Immerseel's is lacking No.'s 7 & 10.

Quote from: MandrykaThe Gould Mozart concerto is interesting -- #24. But for me it's only really special in the variations movement. The first two movements are well played but not as poetic as Curzon and Kubelck, or as witty as Bilson and Gardiner,  I think.
I had Gould's at one point.  I recall it was a rather lax interpretation.  Of course, one buys the recording for Gould's playing - the man always has some tricks up his sleeves!

dirkronk

Quote from: rubio on January 21, 2009, 12:37:19 PM
The only work I've done a big comparison for is the 23'rd, and there I really liked Solomon...

I broke out the Solomon Mozart EMI LPs and put on the 23rd. How lovely, lively and articulate it is! Thanks again, Rubio.
;)

Dirk

rubio

Quote from: dirkronk on January 22, 2009, 07:05:37 PM
I broke out the Solomon Mozart EMI LPs and put on the 23rd. How lovely, lively and articulate it is! Thanks again, Rubio.
;)

Dirk

I'm happy to have steered you in the right direction :). Solomon has plenty of poise and elegance here, and I think the balance with the orchestra is close to perfect. The clarinet sounds so gorgeous in the adagio!
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Mandryka

Quote from: dirkronk on January 22, 2009, 07:05:37 PM
;)

Dirk

Try Solomon in #15 -- for me it's one of the greatest concerto performances I know.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Is there anyone who knows Fou Ts'Ong's Mozart concerto recordings?

There are a handful on the Meridian label with a Polish orchestra.

I've never heard this pianist -- but I have occasionally heard good things about him.

Sorin Eushayson

Any of you other HIP buffs heard this?

B_cereus

Quote from: Mandryka on January 24, 2009, 12:00:45 PM
Is there anyone who knows Fou Ts'Ong's Mozart concerto recordings?

There are a handful on the Meridian label with a Polish orchestra.

I've never heard this pianist -- but I have occasionally heard good things about him.
yes i have his Mozart concerto recordings with the Warsaw Symphony, they were originally on a different label.

i think they are excellent. I have to say that his recording of #24 is my personal fave out of all the many recordings that i have heard so far of that work.  But others may disagree.

Jay F

Quote from: Tyson on September 12, 2007, 06:08:43 PM
No mention of Brendel?  I think his glittering tone works with mozart much better than most other pianists mentioned here, all of whom seem to offer a softer grained sound (even Schiff).
I like Brendel's, too. My second CD was his Philips Silver Line version of 23 and 27. It and Brendel's Schubert D960 were my intro to classical (other than movie music I'd bought over the years).

Mandryka

Quote from: B_cereus on January 29, 2009, 01:25:07 PM
yes i have his Mozart concerto recordings with the Warsaw Symphony, they were originally on a different label.

i think they are excellent. I have to say that his recording of #24 is my personal fave out of all the many recordings that i have heard so far of that work.  But others may disagree.

Have you heard Curzon with Kubelick. Or Bilson and Gardiner.

If you say it's as interesting as either of those I'll order it straight away!

Coopmv

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on February 01, 2009, 02:27:21 PM
I just ordered this set ...

Great choice!  :D  From the first page of this thread (quoted below) are the sets that I currently own - whew, I think 3 are enough @ the moment, but always willing to hear the thoughts of others -  ;)  :)   Dave

QuoteMark - for 'complete sets', I've tried to refine my collection over the last year or so, based on recommendations here (and elsewhere) - I now have 3 sets (old, new, & HIP) - I'm sure that you'll get plenty of suggestions, but these are the ones that I currently own & enjoy:

Schiff-Vegh on Decca (1985-94)
Anda on DG (1962-71) - one of my favs (PC #21 from the movie Elvira Madigan)
Bilson-Gardiner on Archiv Prod (1983-88)

B_cereus

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2009, 12:03:43 PM
Have you heard Curzon with Kubelick. Or Bilson and Gardiner.

If you say it's as interesting as either of those I'll order it straight away!

i have heard Bilson/Gardiner and Curzon/Kertesz but not wth Kubelik.

don't buy it in case it's not to your liking... if you are interested i could provide you with a sample of the recording... *cough*

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on February 01, 2009, 02:53:49 PM
Great choice!  :D  From the first page of this thread (quoted below) are the sets that I currently own - whew, I think 3 are enough @ the moment, but always willing to hear the thoughts of others -  ;)  :)   Dave

I knew Anda from the movie Elvira Madigan but did not come across this set until recently.  I am essentially an early music guy whose emphasis has always been baroque and early music, though I started out in classical music focusing on the classical and romantic periods.

Mandryka

Quote from: B_cereus on February 01, 2009, 04:07:44 PM

don't buy it in case it's not to your liking... if you are interested i could provide you with a sample of the recording... *cough*

Thanks for that offer.

I don't know why I'm being so cautious -- I usually am completely impetuous when it comes to CDs.

A sample would be great if you could upload it onto some file sharing service like mediafire.

B_cereus

ok i'll pm you when i've done it

of course i don't want to promote anything illegal so if you do like it then you can buy the cd to support the artist, especially when it's those artists who aren't on lucrative recording contracts with the majors... and if you don't like it then save your money for something else :)

B_cereus

i'd also like to recommend Alicia de Larrocha in Mozart concertos. :)

Mandryka

Quote from: B_cereus on February 12, 2009, 04:23:30 AM
i'd also like to recommend Alicia de Larrocha in Mozart concertos. :)

Hey B Cereus!

Any concertos in particular?

I like this pianist a lot.

B_cereus

they are all good Mandryka, in my opinion... she's a fine Mozartian I don't know why but sometimes i feel female pianists often seem to do Mozart better than male pianists (though  i am sure someone will shoot me down for this).

i like AdL's CD recordings of 19, 22, 23, 24.

there are youtube videos of her playing Mozart concertos too, that you might want to check out.

Coopmv

So what other versions are competitive with the Anda's set, which is considered one of the best ...