Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on February 13, 2009, 05:15:41 PM
So what other versions are competitive with the Anda's set, which is considered one of the best ...

Schiff/Vegh is a winner.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bulldog on February 13, 2009, 06:15:45 PM
Schiff/Vegh is a winner.

Agreed.

Same orchestra, BTW, as Anda. Better sound, though.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Coopmv

Quote from: donwyn on February 13, 2009, 07:08:34 PM
Agreed.

Same orchestra, BTW, as Anda. Better sound, though.

Probably recorded at a later date?

Herman

The Schiff / Vegh Mozart is especially interesting because of the accompaniment. In a lot of concertos Schiff is his usual vague unexpressive self IMO.

I like Anda a lot, but it is far from perfect. It has a spontaneous feel, and occasionally it's a little rough. But these performances are always lively.

Kuhlau

A heads-up for lovers of pianist, Clifford Curzon (and for those who enjoy Mozart piano concerti).

I've just received my advance copy of the March 2009 edition of BBC Music magazine, the free cover disc with which contains two Mozart piano concerti (Nos. 21 & 23) which have been hiding in the BBC archives since 1976 and 1963, respectively. The orchestras/conductors supporting Curzon are the BBC Symphony Orchestra/Bernhaard Klee (No. 21); and the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra/George Hurst (No. 23).

Sound is pretty good given the age of these recordings, and the performances, while not benchmarks, are generally sprightly and enjoyable.

FK

SonicMan46

So what other versions are competitive with the Anda's set, which is considered one of the best ...

Agree w/ the others about the Schiff/Vegh (pic inserted above) - these are the two 'modern' sets that I own and enjoy both - differences regarding recording times, as already discussed; do you want a HIP instrument set?  If so, suggestions have also been provided previously - good luck in your choice(s) -  :)

P.S. Noticed that the Schiff set is $80+ on Amazon (got mine a number of years ago for $40), so you may have to do some searching if that box interests you!

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on February 14, 2009, 06:47:54 AM
Agree w/ the others about the Schiff/Vegh (pic inserted above) - these are the two 'modern' sets that I own and enjoy both - differences regarding recording times, as already discussed; do you want a HIP instrument set?  If so, suggestions have also been provided previously - good luck in your choice(s) -  :)

P.S. Noticed that the Schiff set is $80+ on Amazon (got mine a number of years ago for $40), so you may have to do some searching if that box interests you!

I already have the Anda'a box set but have not gotten around to play it yet.  I have many other recordings by Andras Schiff and generally like him as a pianist.  Mozart is not one of my favorite composers and I am not sure if I want to get more than one set of his Piano Concertos.  However, I may make an exception since his piano concertos are often considered his best works.

Jay F

Quote from: Coopmv on February 14, 2009, 08:26:39 AM
I already have the Anda'a box set but have not gotten around to play it yet.  I have many other recordings by Andras Schiff and generally like him as a pianist.  Mozart is not one of my favorite composers and I am not sure if I want to get more than one set of his Piano Concertos.  However, I may make an exception since his piano concertos are often considered his best works.
I like the ones from 20-27 best, and have listened to many versions. My favorites are:

20: Anda or Gulda/Abbado
21: Anda or Gulda/Abbado
22: Uchida or Brendel/Mackerras
23: Brendel/Marriner/ASMF (w/27) or Perahia
24: Perahia or Anda
25: Perahia or Anda
26: Perahia or Anda
27: Brendel/Marriner/ASMF (w/23)

Later on, I listened to some by Casadesus/Szell, and I liked every one of them. They can be HTF/expensive when you can.

I have only heard two of Schiff's and I don't remember which they were. By the time he got around to doing them, I already had crowned my favorites, and his didn't do anything to supplant them.

I can't say much about relative sound quality, as I had Anda's on cassette, and only listened to it in a somewhat noisy environment. Some people don't like the sound quality of Perahia's and then there's the potential for many of them to have been remastered in DSD, SACD, etc. I know nothing about that, as I bought all of these in the '80s and very early '90s. The sound quality always sounded fine to me on all of these.

Aeolian harp

Anyone mentioned Rudolf Buchbinder's Mozart concertos set?

It's excellent :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Aeolian harp on August 14, 2009, 08:37:22 AM
Anyone mentioned Rudolf Buchbinder's Mozart concertos set?

It's excellent :)

Yes -- it's very good. If someone wants a complete survey  then this is the one I would recommend.

I don't know if he's ever the best in any of the later concertos though -- the ones between 14 and 27.

There's also some nice DVD performance by him -- the one with PC 24 especially. In fact I prefer his VPO 24 to Pollini's. Excellent though Pollini is there's a heaviness about it.

Still -- neither would be my favourite 24.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Aeolian harp

Yeah :)

I think taken all together as a set, Buchbinder's compares well with the best of the rest.

I first listened to them based on Scott Morrison's rave reviews on Amazon, and he was not wrong.

Buchbinder seems a little underrated, maybe not as well known as maybe he ought to be.

Herman

The downside of complete sets would apply here, too, wouldn't it?

No performer is equally good in all ctos.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Aeolian harp on August 14, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
Yeah :)

I think taken all together as a set, Buchbinder's compares well with the best of the rest.

Hello Aeolian harp - I currently own 3 complete sets of Mozart's Piano Concertos, i.e. Anda, Schiff, & Bilson - these have been decided upon over many years and are likely some of the top selections, but there are so many to choose from in this category?

I'm just curious from your statement above about Buchbinder, whether you have listened to & compared some of the competition - I only hope that your opinion is based on having heard the 'competition' - if not, then there may be an issue?

Now, I own Buchbinder's Haydn's Piano Sonatas box set (my third - why buy so many? !) - and enjoy!  :D

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan on August 14, 2009, 05:06:48 PM
Hello Aeolian harp - I currently own 3 complete sets of Mozart's Piano Concertos, i.e. Anda, Schiff, & Bilson - these have been decided upon over many years and are likely some of the top selections, but there are so many to choose from in this category?

I'm just curious from your statement above about Buchbinder, whether you have listened to & compared some of the competition - I only hope that your opinion is based on having heard the 'competition' - if not, then there may be an issue?

Now, I own Buchbinder's Haydn's Piano Sonatas box set (my third - why buy so many? !) - and enjoy!  :D

I don't know Schiff's, but I would definately say that Bilson and Gardiner is better than Buchbinder, provided you're not alergic to fortepiano.

I never mentioned it in my earlier post because the last time I checked the set was deleted. I hope it's back.

In the famous 24, their performance is one of my favourites. And in 14 their performance of the final contrapuntal romp is the best I know by far (suggestions for better would be appreciated)

As far as I can recall there is no real dud in the set (though I must say I can't remember much about their 27)

Valentino

I'd say Perahia/ECO. As a complete set.
But one should also sample single disks. Lately I've fallen completely for the two fairly recent Pollini/VPO releases. But then, I'm a bloody modernist too.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Aeolian harp

Quote from: SonicMan on August 14, 2009, 05:06:48 PM

Now, I own Buchbinder's Haydn's Piano Sonatas box set (my third - why buy so many? !) - and enjoy!  :D

Hi SonicMan...

out of the complete WAM-PC boxsets, I have also heard/owned:

Uchida
Perahia
Barenboim (the earlier ECO set)
Anda
Schiff
Jando

each set has standout gems, but overall, for me, apart from the Buchbinde, I agree that Anda & Schiff are probably the most satisfying. :)

I have not heard Bilson's (yet).

Fortepiano-wise, I have heard a couple of Levin's - did he ever do a complete recorded cycle?

The new erato

Any comment on Brendel/Marriner? Very cheap on amazon.de now.

Mandryka

Quote from: Valentino on August 14, 2009, 11:11:58 PM
I'd say Perahia/ECO. As a complete set.
But one should also sample single disks. Lately I've fallen completely for the two fairly recent Pollini/VPO releases. But then, I'm a bloody modernist too.

Yes I think he is both underrated (by the cognescenti who post on music forums) and overrated (by Edward Greenfield et al.)

In 19 and 27 I think  he's very good -- in fact in 17 he's probably my favourite --  in that slow movement he spins such a long and unbroken filo, and the whole reading seems so positive and joyful.

And I think he's excellent in the ones before 14 (but I hardly ever listen to them!)

Elsewhere though I think he's soemtimes (but not always)  a bit of a wimp -- a bit more oomph is needed IMO. Just compare, if you can, him and Bilson in the final movement of 14 and you'll see what I mean.

Quote from: Herman on February 14, 2009, 01:00:28 AM
I like Anda a lot, but it is far from perfect. It has a spontaneous feel, and occasionally it's a little rough. But these performances are always lively.

Can someone let me know which ones are the high point of the Anda set?

Quote from: Valentino on August 14, 2009, 11:11:58 PM
I'm a bloody modernist .

Then you shouldn't be listening to Mozart at all, since everyone knows that he is a post-modernist.

George

I am a proud and happy owner of both Anda and Perahia's set.  :)

I wouldn't be without Szell, Casadesus, Haskil, Moravec or Richter's Mozart concerto recordings either.

The new erato

Quote from: George on August 15, 2009, 05:38:31 AM
I am a proud and happy owner of both Anda and Perahia's set.  :)

I wouldn't be without Szell, Casadesus, Haskil, Moravec or Richter's Mozart concerto recordings either.
You should add Curzon/Britten to that list.