Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

While we have Staier tied to that chair, I'd love to know which ensemble he will record those concerti with.  His most recent Mozart concerto recording with the Freiburger Barockorchester has been given very mixed reviews.  I know that many critics have their own agenda which does color their reviews, so I would love to know how it sounds from someone here who has heard it.  I have been considering this recording for a while but can't make up my mind as to whether or not to pull the trigger.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bunny on February 14, 2010, 03:00:38 PM
While we have Staier tied to that chair, I'd love to know which ensemble he will record those concerti with.  His most recent Mozart concerto recording with the Freiburger Barockorchester has been given very mixed reviews.  I know that many critics have their own agenda which does color their reviews, so I would love to know how it sounds from someone here who has heard it.  I have been considering this recording for a while but can't make up my mind as to whether or not to pull the trigger.

For the earlier Staier recordings I'd say the Concerto Koln was the deciding factor in its quality.  I'm not so interested in hearing him with a different ensemble.

Elgarian

Quote from: Herman on February 14, 2010, 01:46:28 AM

I listened to a couple of samples and didn't think it was really competitive.

Interesting choice of word. It's worth bearing in mind the context in which I chose to buy this Schmidt/Masur set: I wanted a cheap non-HIP set to compare with my first choice of the HIP Sofronitzki set. It cost 14.99 euros for 10 CDs (and is still available at jpc for that price), and I fancy I'd struggle to find anything as good, for so little outlay. In hindsight I'm quite thrilled by how much I'm enjoying it - in comparison with the Brendel/Marriner set which cost substantially more, but whose exaggerated romanticism is increasingly persuading me that I've probably wasted my money.

Coopmv

This is still one of the best sets available IMO.  I have owned this set for about a year now.  Unlike Bach's works, I have no problems with Mozart's PC's being somewhat romanticized.  Isn't PC21 one of the most romantic pieces ever composed?

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on February 15, 2010, 05:49:07 AM
This is still one of the best sets available IMO.

As far as non-HIP complete sets are concerned (for incompletes: who could beat Casadesus/Szell or Moravec?), you took the words right out of my mouth! :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on February 15, 2010, 05:52:51 AM
As far as non-HIP complete sets are concerned (for incompletes: who could beat Casadesus/Szell or Moravec?), you took the words right out of my mouth! :)

Q

While I have the Mozart Symphonies sets by both Hogwood and Pinnock, the two leading contenders for HIP performance, I am still undecided as to whether HIP performance is all that important when it comes to Mozart's works.  For Bach's works, the answer is invariably yes ...

George

Quote from: Que on February 15, 2010, 05:52:51 AM

Q

Indeed! I'll be forever grateful to the kind gentleman who passed that set onto me.  :)

Scarpia

Quote from: George on February 15, 2010, 07:43:15 AM
Indeed! I'll be forever grateful to the kind gentleman who passed that set onto me.  :)

Yes, the C/S #26 is awesome.

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on February 15, 2010, 05:49:07 AM
This is still one of the best sets available IMO.  I have owned this set for about a year now.  Unlike Bach's works, I have no problems with Mozart's PC's being somewhat romanticized.  Isn't PC21 one of the most romantic pieces ever composed?

That was my first "box set"!  I bought it on sale in vinyl too many years ago when the Record Hunter was closing it's doors.  sigh...

Coopmv

Quote from: Bunny on February 15, 2010, 04:06:46 PM
That was my first "box set"!  I bought it on sale in vinyl too many years ago when the Record Hunter was closing it's doors.  sigh...

I bought a bunch of classical LP's from Record Hunter as well.  Didn't it close its doors in the late 80's?  Then some outfit named Record Explosion took over the same store space at corner of 5th and 42nd, I think.

Scarpia

Quote from: Coopmv on February 15, 2010, 04:17:53 PM
I bought a bunch of classical LP's from Record Hunter as well.  Didn't it close its doors in the late 80's?  Then some outfit named Record Explosion took over the same store space at corner of 5th and 42nd, I think.

There is currently no record store at the location.  It is now occupied by an H&M clothing store, I believe.

Coopmv

Quote from: Scarpia on February 15, 2010, 04:25:05 PM
There is currently no record store at the location.  It is now occupied by an H&M clothing store, I believe.

Record Hunter was located at the northeast corner of 42 nd and 5th.  Are you sure that store space is large enough for H&M?  I rarely walk by that immediate neighborhood these days.

Scarpia

Quote from: Coopmv on February 15, 2010, 04:31:10 PM
Record Hunter was located at the northeast corner of 42 nd and 5th.  Are you sure that store space is large enough for H&M?  I rarely walk by that immediate neighborhood these days.

From the H&M store locator

Bunny

Quote from: Coopmv on February 15, 2010, 04:17:53 PM

I bought the set at the Record Hunter on 57th St. near Carnegie Hall.  That store closed down years before the 42nd St. location.  It was the best store.

Scarpia

Google map, 42nd St and 5th, former site of the Record Hunter.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on February 15, 2010, 05:47:29 PM
Google map, 42nd St and 5th, former site of the Record Hunter.

Just makes you wanna cry.

I used to love to drop into HMV a few blocks up 5th ave. They had a clerk there who was very helpful in choosing classical recordings. After they closed, he got a job at the downtown Virgin, saw him there a few times before they also closed. Luckily the best brick and mortar in NYC for new CDs is still standing - JandR.

Scarpia

Quote from: George on February 15, 2010, 06:27:51 PM
Just makes you wanna cry.

I used to love to drop into HMV a few blocks up 5th ave. They had a clerk there who was very helpful in choosing classical recordings. After they closed, he got a job at the downtown Virgin, saw him there a few times before they also closed. Luckily the best brick and mortar in NYC for new CDs is still standing - JandR.

Depends on your point of view.  If you need inexpensive, fashionable clothes, it will make you jump for joy.   Personally, I find it 1000 times easier to get CDs now than in the days of brick and mortar record stores.

George

Quote from: Scarpia on February 15, 2010, 06:32:51 PM
Depends on your point of view.  If you need inexpensive, fashionable clothes, it will make you jump for joy.   

I should have said it makes me wanna cry.

DavidW

I loved browsing for cds, but also love the convenience of online shopping.

What I wish is that we can live in a world where both can co-exist.  I'm kind of surprised how a cd store can't survive.  So many cd/dvd purchases are made by people on impulse, that even with better selection and prices online, brick and mortar stores should still exist but that's not what really happened.  Walmart, Target, Best Buy and Amazon crushed them underfoot and now those days are gone.

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on February 11, 2010, 07:42:07 AM

Wish there was some way to collect these Levin/Lyre concertos using a replica Anton walter fortepiano without breaking the bank, Hogwood/AAM provide great orchestral support and Levin uses his own cadenzas, this will keep you spellbound.......if this were complete set it would rise to the top of available fortepiano sets, inspired work

Well Archiv Music has informed me my package is on its way, I decided to buy 4 of the Archiv re-issues of the Levin/Lyre partial set with Hogwood AAM (the earlier concertos)......this will further enhance for me very solid fortepiano collection of Mozart piano concertos.  ;)

These will join my only currently owned Levin Mozart CD....