Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

I have been watching this Brautigam/Lubimov CD for some time and finally placed order, I have recently been buying up any remaining fortepiano Mozart I don't own already and this was at the top of the list.

DarkAngel

Was not happy with this Levin performance.......really a recording sound issue.
For these early pastiche works Levin uses harpsicord and it is so recessed and scaled down sounds like it was played in room behind orchestra, not natural sounding balance and dwarfed in scale by orchestra.

Levin needs same team that recorded Staier or Viviana Sofronitzsky which have more natural equal balanced scale between keyboard and orchestra. The later Levin Mozart releases uses fortepiano and has better balanced scale but still not as good as Andreas Staier or Viviana Sofronitzsky CDs

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on February 16, 2010, 08:56:30 PM
but I never really found Marriner's accompaniment to be terrible, just a bit workaday.
I should have commented on this before. 'Terrible' wouldn't be fair, and I think strict accuracy has been a casualty of my efforts to make the distinctions clear. Your word 'workaday' is better, though I'd still want to inject into that notion a flavouring of slushy romantic flabbiness. But it's not 'terrible'. I'm guilty of over-egging the pudding there. Apologies.

Scarpia

Quote from: Elgarian on February 18, 2010, 07:20:54 AM
I should have commented on this before. 'Terrible' wouldn't be fair, and I think strict accuracy has been a casualty of my efforts to make the distinctions clear. Your word 'workaday' is better, though I'd still want to inject into that notion a flavouring of slushy romantic flabbiness. But it's not 'terrible'. I'm guilty of over-egging the pudding there. Apologies.

I'm going with awful.

Tyson

The best thing about Marriner is that he's not as bad as Tate is with Uchida.....
At a loss for words.

Herman

Quote from: Tyson on February 18, 2010, 08:23:10 PM
The best thing about Marriner is that he's not as bad as Tate is with Uchida.....

disagree. What makes Tate better is he has a better sense of the opera links in the PCs.

DarkAngel

As I play other competing modern piano sets and then come back to Anda/DG I become more convinced than ever that it is my very favorite complete modern piano set. It just has a refreshing sparkling quality that removes any hint of routine, seems to flow effortlessly and the sound quality is very fine........on a revealing system you can hear deep into the mix and hear very subtle details and nuances.

For forte piano I remain strong advocate for Viviana Sofronitzky set, her imaginative brilliant keyboard work make competitiors like Bilson and Immerseel seem earthbound by comparison........if Brautigam ever records a complete set then we have a real potential challenge.

Btw if I could put Gardiner's orchestral performance with Sofronitzky's keyboard and proper sound balance we would have a truely great set

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 31, 2010, 04:45:11 PM

As I play other competing modern piano sets and then come back to Anda/DG I become more convinced than ever that it is my very favorite complete modern piano set.

DA,  This is indeed one of the best CD sets available for these works regardless of piano types.  I have had this set for almost two years but have owned some of the concertos on LP for over 20 years ...

Antoine Marchand

For forte piano I remain strong advocate for Viviana Sofronitzky set, her imaginative brilliant keyboard work make competitiors like Bilson and Immerseel seem earthbound by comparison........if Brautigam ever records a complete set then we have a real potential challenge.

Some of us think that Bilson and Immerseel, especially Bilson, I would say, are totally competitive and excellent sets. Anyway, I share your admiration for Anda and the Camerata Academica.

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on July 31, 2010, 04:54:13 PM
DA,  This is indeed one of the best CD sets available for these works regardless of piano types.  I have had this set for almost two years but have owned some of the concertos on LP for over 20 years ...

Coop Anda/DG is a truely great set......I can find none better

The natural competition should be Schiff/Decca but it really is not as fluid or sparkling
Perahia is relaxed and introspective but not animated enough, very refined and elegant
New Barenboim is pretty good, better than I expected but no real threat
Brendel seems earhtbound to me, technically very good but never sparkles or puts a smile on my face
Uchida same comments as Perahia
Ashkenazy set not as consistently great but has its moments

DarkAngel

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on July 31, 2010, 05:00:08 PM
Some of us think that Bilson and Immerseel, especially Bilson, I would say, are totally competitive and excellent sets. Anyway, I share your admiration for Anda and the Camerata Academica.

I love Gardiner's orchestral work with English Baroque Soloists, very vibrant and up tempo......

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 31, 2010, 05:09:09 PM

I love Gardiner's orchestral work with English Baroque Soloists, very vibrant and up tempo......

Do you know the recordings by Richard Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on Nonesuch, DA?

DarkAngel

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on July 31, 2010, 05:12:55 PM
Do you know the recordings by Richard Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra on Nonesuch, DA?

Yes indeed.........if a complete set existed a serious threat to unseat Anda/DG from the throne, Orpheus provides great lifted tempos and Goode matches them with vibrant keyboard performances, a sympathetic partnership, I think I purchased them all

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DarkAngel on July 31, 2010, 05:17:36 PM

Yes indeed.........if a complete set existed a serious threat to unseat Anda/DG from the throne, Orpheus provides great lifted tempos and Goode matches them with vibrant keyboard performances, I think I purchased them all

I totally agree. Maybe in the future they will continue their recordings of this cycle. It would be great news.  :)

Franco

As I play other competing modern piano sets and then come back to Anda/DG I become more convinced than ever that it is my very favorite complete modern piano set. It just has a refreshing sparkling quality that removes any hint of routine, seems to flow effortlessly and the sound quality is very fine........on a revealing system you can hear deep into the mix and hear very subtle details and nuances.

Btw if I could put Gardiner's orchestral performance with Sofronitzky's keyboard and proper sound balance we would have a truely great set

It is hard to find the Viviana Sofronitzky set other than an odd quasi-private source that does not inspire confidence.

kishnevi

Quote from: Coopmv on July 31, 2010, 04:54:13 PM

Question:  The box set says it's an 8 CD set.  Perahia's version is a 12 CD set, with in general 2 concertos per CD.  How did DG slim it down by a third?

Bulldog

Quote from: kishnevi on July 31, 2010, 08:20:47 PM
Question:  The box set says it's an 8 CD set.  Perahia's version is a 12 CD set, with in general 2 concertos per CD.  How did DG slim it down by a third?

The Perahia has four works not on the Anda set: Concerto for Two Pianos, Concerto for Three Pianos and the two Rondos for Piano and Orchestra.  Add in more generous timings per disc for the Anda, and there it is.

Que

Quote from: Franco on July 31, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
It is hard to find the Viviana Sofronitzky set other than an odd quasi-private source that does not inspire confidence.

Are you in the USA? Arkivmusic is a well known vendor. :)

Q

Elgarian

Quote from: Franco on July 31, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
JPC are offering it at 80 euros here:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-S%E4mtliche-Klavierkonzerte/hnum/9591574

but of course there's the problem of high cost of shipping to the US.

Franco

Quote from: Que on August 01, 2010, 12:58:20 AM
Are you in the USA? Arkivmusic is a well known vendor. :)

Q

Thanks for that information - when I checked the last time (not too long ago, maybe a few months) they did not offer this set, nor did anyone else.  In fact, the only source at the time was a European email from her website.  A couple of us exchanged some emails and the price quoted kept changing, and the deal seemed somewhat like a scam (hard to believe, I know, but neither of us ordered anything). 

Here is the discussion about the situation finding this set back then.