Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mandryka on November 17, 2010, 09:28:52 PM
Anyone got any views on this one? Wild? Spontaneous?

Very strange choice that since the one where DB is as far as I know peerless, they leave out -- 16
Well the box is a very odd mix entirely. But that was part of its attraction as well. It seems that few have it. JPC has a digital download page that shows all the different combinations if you are interested (who is playing with whom).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ccar

I confess I've been always a fan of Mieczyslav Horszowki. I can listen with great joy to his Bach or  Beethoven, to his Brahms, Chopin, Schubert or Schumann.  And in spite of his miraculous vitality of giving public recitals until his 90's, what impresses me the most is his youthful and intense musicality – his phrasing and tone are unaffected and natural and yet very much alive and spontaneous. And I believe this freshness is even more apparent in his Mozart.

Many may know well Horszowski's famous partnership with Szigeti for the recording of the complete Mozart Violin Sonatas or his other Mozart recordings with Casals or the Budapest at the Prades Festival. But his wonderful recordings of the Mozart sonatas, released in a complete set by Arbiter and more occasionally by other labels (Lyrinx, Nonesuch, BBC, Pearl) are only rarely mentioned.  And perhaps even less known are the recordings of the Mozart Piano Concertos with Horszowski and Frederic Waldman, during a series of live performances at the Metropolitan Museum, in 1962. 

I remember my surprise and astonishment the first time I listened to these Horszowski recordings. I felt I had to relisten to Schnabel to feel that amount of inventiveness and to remember Clara Haskil for the same kind of candid intimacy. I must recognize that for some listeners the sound is less than pristine, the orchestra is too modest, Horszowski is not the most "perfect" player and nothing is in tune with any historically informed Mozart "idiom". But for me it is a delight to listen to such "unperfect", but vital and refreshing music making.     

mc ukrneal

Hmmm. And now I've come across the BPO/Barenboim set at about $30 (not complete, but 10 discs, including one DVD). These seem to get good reveiws.

I have also managed to come across a review of the other Warner set here (the one entitled 250th Anniversary Edition): http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Oct05/Warner_piano_concertos_256462332.htm.

Scarpia

Quote from: ukrneal on November 25, 2010, 12:57:45 PM
Hmmm. And now I've come across the BPO/Barenboim set at about $30 (not complete, but 10 discs, including one DVD). These seem to get good reveiws.

I have also managed to come across a review of the other Warner set here (the one entitled 250th Anniversary Edition): http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Oct05/Warner_piano_concertos_256462332.htm.

I wouldn't want Barenboim's PC set as my only set, generally he romanticizes them where I generally like them with crisp execution and brisk tempos, but they are quite enjoyable.

Oldnslow

While not a complete set by any means (5 concertos), I highly recommend the 3 CD set on APR of all of Edwin Fischer's Mozart concertos and solo works--excellent remastering and just wonderful playing. Along with Schnabel's Beethoven sonatas, surely among the century's greatest piano recordings.

Mandryka

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 02, 2010, 08:51:12 PM
While not a complete set by any means (5 concertos), I highly recommend the 3 CD set on APR of all of Edwin Fischer's Mozart concertos and solo works--excellent remastering and just wonderful playing. Along with Schnabel's Beethoven sonatas, surely among the century's greatest piano recordings.

For 22, 24 and the Rondo I tend to listen more to the recordings with the  the Royal Danish Symphony Orchestra -- slightly better sound I think. Maybe a bit more daemonic.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 02, 2010, 08:51:12 PM

I have the two Pearl volumes by the pianist and they are lovely.

Clever Hans

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Clever Hans on December 05, 2010, 09:52:18 AM
Brautigam
BIS-SACD-1794 Mozart Piano Concertos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLHzeMBgS5o

I didn't wait that British accent from Brautigam.  :)

Leon

Quote from: Clever Hans on December 05, 2010, 09:52:18 AM
Brautigam
BIS-SACD-1794 Mozart Piano Concertos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLHzeMBgS5o

That is a fantastic video clip - I will look forward to these disc becoming available. 

MishaK

This is my first choice, actually. A very very fine set. I don't agree that he romanticizes at all. What Barenboim does, however, is to play from an operatic perspective. Mozart was first and foremost an opera composer. And that is how Barenboim treats the concertos: melodies sing with a vocal line and sense of breath. It is really very natural and a joy to listen to. There are always new things to discover in these performances. Especially the late concertos 20-27 are absolutely first rate. Also, I'd wager that you'd have an extremely hard time finding another set where soloist and orchestra are so totally of the same mind. This is a real dialogue between equals. The Berliners play with absolutely gorgeous tone. This set is in every way to be preferred over Barenboim's earlier set on EMI with the ECO.

George

Quote from: Mensch on December 05, 2010, 07:34:48 PM
This is my first choice, actually. A very very fine set. I don't agree that he romanticizes at all. What Barenboim does, however, is to play from an operatic perspective. Mozart was first and foremost an opera composer. And that is how Barenboim treats the concertos: melodies sing with a vocal line and sense of breath. It is really very natural and a joy to listen to. There are always new things to discover in these performances. Especially the late concertos 20-27 are absolutely first rate. Also, I'd wager that you'd have an extremely hard time finding another set where soloist and orchestra are so totally of the same mind. This is a real dialogue between equals. The Berliners play with absolutely gorgeous tone. This set is in every way to be preferred over Barenboim's earlier set on EMI with the ECO.

Thanks for your review, I can see that I am going to have to get that set.

Horowitz once remarked that Chopin should be played in the manner that most people play Mozart and that Mozart should be played in the manner that Chopin is played. Sounds like Barenboim feels this way too.

The new erato

Quote from: George on December 06, 2010, 05:39:09 AM
Thanks for your review, I can see that I am going to have to get that set.

Horowitz once remarked that Chopin should be played in the manner that most people play Mozart and that Mozart should be played in the manner that Chopin is played. Sounds like Barenboim feels this way too.
Is that a "Bad Santa" avatar? Great movie!

George

Quote from: erato on December 06, 2010, 05:40:36 AM
Is that a "Bad Santa" avatar? Great movie!

Indeed it is! And yes, indeed it is a great movie!

SonicMan46

Well, curious about the 'best' offering on this set - just a single seller on Amazon USA w/ a $65 price (adding S&H) - assume that this set is coming out 'across the pond' at half the price or less?   :D

Scarpia

Quote from: SonicMan on December 06, 2010, 02:45:42 PM
Well, curious about the 'best' offering on this set - just a single seller on Amazon USA w/ a $65 price (adding S&H) - assume that this set is coming out 'across the pond' at half the price or less?   :D

This set was released quote some time ago, it may be a limited edition that is dwindling. 

mc ukrneal

It's $29.90 at Berkshire.
EDIT: Add $1 for shipping of this set and $6 total shipping to the order. SO $36.99 if this is all you buy. I don't think I've ever bought less than 10 items at a go there, so let me know if there is something else you want - I may find it! :)

Sergeant Rock

It was released five years ago in Germany (11.11.05). I bought my copy in Feb 2008. I'm in complete agreement with Mensch on the merits of this set.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Thanks Guys for the help on the Barenboim set - guess one that I had overlooked!  :-\

I've not made a BRO purchase in a while and usually order at least a half dozen items or more, so will take a look tonight; $30 for 10 discs is pretty good!  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan on December 07, 2010, 01:08:46 PM
Thanks Guys for the help on the Barenboim set - guess one that I had overlooked!  :-\

I've not made a BRO purchase in a while and usually order at least a half dozen items or more, so will take a look tonight; $30 for 10 discs is pretty good!  :)

Dave,

Apparently that Sofronitsky set has had a stimulating effect.  ;D