Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

If I was to buy a complete cycle of these works (all played by the same performers) which set would you recommend? And what about if I were to collect the works one by one - who would you tip for each?

Thanks in advance. :)

BachQ

George

Quote from: Mark on September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM
If I was to buy a complete cycle of these works (all played by the same performers) which set would you recommend? And what about if I were to collect the works one by one - who would you tip for each?

Thanks in advance. :)

One by one: Serkin, Haskil or Casadesus.

Complete cycle: Perahia or Anda. (I will look for a good contrasting movement to post so you can see the difference between the two.

:)

Mark

Quote from: George on September 08, 2007, 03:24:55 PM
(I will look for a good contrasting movement to post so you can see the difference between the two.

:)

Thanks, man. :)

George

SonicMan46

Mark - for 'complete sets', I've tried to refine my collection over the last year or so, based on recommendations here (and elsewhere) - I now have 3 sets (old, new, & HIP) - I'm sure that you'll get plenty of suggestions, but these are the ones that I currently own & enjoy:

Schiff-Vegh on Decca (1985-94)
Anda on DG (1962-71) - one of my favs (PC #21 from the movie Elvira Madigan)
Bilson-Gardiner on Archiv Prod (1983-88)

Dave -  :D

George

Mark

Dave, thanks.

And George, thank you, too. I'll give 'em a listen later and report back. ;)

Que

For non-HIP Anda is very good (complete set), Casadesus and Moravec are even better.
None of them is in state-of-the-art recordings BTW.

For HIP my favourite is Jos van Immerseel on Channel Classics (complete, but excludes concertos 1-4 that were written for harpsichord) These actually are in state-of-the-art-recordings....

But Mark, but......! ::)
If I'm not mistaken in your general musical preferences - and they happen to not align with mine - you might be better served with either Murray Perahia's or Daniel Barenboim's Mozart cycles.....

Good hunting! :)

Q

Holden

Cheers

Holden

DavidW

Mark, what type of piano playing do you like in Mozart?  For instance who do you like in the piano sonatas?  Knowing that we can all quickly narrow down the list of recs to something that you would enjoy. :)

Bogey

Quote from: Que on September 08, 2007, 11:25:30 PM

For HIP my favourite is Jos van Immerseel on Channel Classics (complete, but excludes concertos 1-4 that were written for harpsichord) These actually are in state-of-the-art-recordings....

Q

My wife and I adore this above set Mark.  It is HIP, but unbelievably beautiful.  Thanks to Que and others advice and sits on our shelf. 

I believe my next set, should I go for another one would be:

Though Tate may not be top of the line here, Uchida more than makes up for any of my perceived short comings.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

longears

Quote from: Bogey on September 09, 2007, 05:52:53 AM
My wife and I adore this above set Mark.  It is HIP, but unbelievably beautiful.  Thanks to Que and others advice and sits on our shelf. 
Drat...now I'm virtually condemned to buy another set.  ;)

I like Uchida, love Schiff/Vegh (thanks again, Donwyn!).

George

Quote from: longears on September 09, 2007, 05:59:29 AM
Drat...now I'm virtually condemned to buy another set.  ;)

I like Uchida, love Schiff/Vegh (thanks again, Donwyn!).

Longears got a new face!  :D

Gabriel

Of the sets I know, Bilson-Gardiner.

LapsangS

Barenboim/English Chamber Orchestra. But he plays some of the concertos, like the 23rd KV 488 A major concerto (which is my favourite), in a somewhat boring and uninspired manner. And it is not HIP at all. Otherwise I think it is one of the best of complete sets and includes the concertos no 1-4 which are only arrangements of other composer's works.

Mark

Wow! So many great replies. I've not had chance yet to hear George's three samples, so once I have, I'll report back in this thread.

Thanks to all so far. :)

BorisG

As a set, I suggest the Barenboim with ECO on EMI. It is even in quality of playing and recording. No doubt there will be some phrasing or styling that one finds different, but I think that is beneficial, both in keeping interest for the long haul of a set, and in supplying new insights.

The ECO and its featured players are always in sync with the soloist. The soundstage provides excellent orchestra and soloist positioning, with intelligent spot-micing.

I have listened to most of the sets, and I am sad to say each has a lot of sameness about them, including Barenboim's other set on Warner. I do not want to call them cookie-cutting, boring or sleep inducers, but at times I am tempted.

Valentino

What I couldn't be without:

Pollini/Böhm in nos. 19 & 23
Gulda/Böhm in no. 20
Bilson/Gardiner in no. 21
Perahia in no. 9, 22 & 24
Andsnes in nos. 9 & 18
Michelangeli in nos 20 & 25 (DG recordings)
Gilels/Böhm in no. 27

No Uchida. Blame Tate. Anda in no. 21 is too many spoons of sugar I'm afraid.

I should get that Moravec disc mentioned, and that van Immersel-cycle.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

sound67

Quote from: Mark on September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PMIf I was to buy a complete cycle of these works (all played by the same performers)

Save your money. Buy only the concertos he wrote "late" in life, the ones that sound more like Beethoven than early Beethoven does.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht