Mozart Piano Concertos

Started by Mark, September 08, 2007, 03:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on December 18, 2014, 09:41:22 AM
But best of all get all the Mozart concertos Kocsis recorded.

They are awfully difficult to find. Do you know any illegal sources? Seriously.

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 18, 2014, 02:33:43 PM
Another vote for Casadesus/Szell/Cleveland. A must.

I also love Danny Boy's cycle on DG with the Berlin Phil (big Romantic readings, kind of the anti-Szell) but I'm probably in the minority here.

Sarge
Pity Curzon didn't do a cycle. These are magical:

[asin]B00005N56Y[/asin]

Que

Quote from: Ken B on December 19, 2014, 01:51:30 PM
Bump.

Good idea. :) I took the liberty of moving the discussion fromthe considering thread to here.

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on December 18, 2014, 02:38:26 PM
They are awfully difficult to find. Do you know any illegal sources? Seriously.

Isn't most of it available via Hungaroton's website, or on spotify? The thing I'm looking for is a good HIP chamber scale PC 27. I have the one from Daniel Isoir but it seems workmanlike to me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2014, 04:35:20 AM
Isn't most of it available via Hungaroton's website, or on spotify?

No spotify where I am. Thanks for mentioning Hungaroton website, I haven't checked it in years, it used to be pretty rudimentary back then. They now do seem to offer the two Hungaroton discs as flac downloads. That's not most of it though, half actually: two discs on Hungaroton (not counting multiple piano concertos), one disc on Harmonia Mundi and one on Philips.

king ubu

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2014, 04:35:20 AM
The thing I'm looking for is a good HIP chamber scale PC 27.

What about Bilson/Gardiner?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on December 20, 2014, 05:38:27 AM
No spotify where I am. Thanks for mentioning Hungaroton website, I haven't checked it in years, it used to be pretty rudimentary back then. They now do seem to offer the two Hungaroton discs as flac downloads. That's not most of it though, half actually: two discs on Hungaroton (not counting multiple piano concertos), one disc on Harmonia Mundi and one on Philips.

Here's what I have

The two and three piano concertos with Ranki and Schiff

A recording with 19, 17 and 11

A recording with 8, 13 and 25

A recording with 12 and 23

A recording with 6, 18 and 27

A recording of him conducting K414, his son Kristián at the piano

Let me know if you want any of this.

Mandryka

Quote from: king ubu on December 20, 2014, 06:15:39 AM
What about Bilson/Gardiner?

I really want something smaller scale, the sort of thing Schoonderwoerd might do. I also want something with a real valedictory feel.

Ken B

Quote from: Que on December 20, 2014, 02:08:46 AM
Good idea. :) I took the liberty of moving the discussion fromthe considering thread to here.

Q
Also a good idea!

I decided on some odd choices. Piazzini withe Leningrad Soloists for about half a dozen late concerti, and Kirschnereit for a complete set. I wanted a smaller ensemble approach, and a quick tempo approach. Not that those are necessarily right, but they are what I want to hear at the moment. Plus modern sound.

Ken B

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2014, 06:37:07 AM
I really want something smaller scale, the sort of thing Schoonderwoerd might do. I also want something with a real valedictory feel.
I don't know about valedictory feel, but yes very small scale is what I want. Larger than the Hummel reductions, but I can see an orchestra of a dozen or so for some of the concerti.

Mandryka

Quote from: Ken B on December 20, 2014, 06:54:31 AM
I don't know about valedictory feel, but yes very small scale is what I want. Larger than the Hummel reductions, but I can see an orchestra of a dozen or so for some of the concerti.

Oh but something Hummel sized could be wonderful in k 595 I think, but as far as I know Hummel never arranged this one.

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2014, 06:36:01 AM
A recording with 19, 17 and 11

A recording with 8, 13 and 25

Let me know if you want any of this.

These two (HM and Philips) would be great, thanks!

Ken B

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2014, 07:27:20 AM
Oh but something Hummel sized could be wonderful in k 595 I think, but as far as I know Hummel never arranged this one.

I have heard only one and a half of his arrangements, but I thought they were very well done.

amw

As mentioned on the other thread (I guess here now) I've been exploring the Kraus/Simon cycle. The orchestra is bad. The sound is worse. Kraus is magical. Can't stop listening.

Tharaud's performance of the Jenamy has also been rightly praised.

Quote from: Mandryka on December 20, 2014, 04:35:20 AMThe thing I'm looking for is a good HIP chamber scale PC 27.
And 3rding this.

George

Quote from: amw on December 20, 2014, 01:38:38 PM
As mentioned on the other thread (I guess here now) I've been exploring the Kraus/Simon cycle. The orchestra is bad. The sound is worse. Kraus is magical. Can't stop listening.

On LP? Or was that ever released on CD?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Leo K.

Another vote for Casadesus/Szell/Cleveland. A must.

I also love Danny Boy's cycle on DG with the Berlin Phil (big Romantic readings, kind of the anti-Szell) but I'm probably in the minority here.

Sarge
I too love the Barenboim/BPO cycle. I've been listening to it this month. I'm a big fan of large romantic readings such as these.

Leo K.

Quote from: George on October 19, 2014, 03:12:12 AM
Interesting you say this, as I have read that Serkin was in his 80s when that set was recorded and he was well past his prime.

Have you heard any of his earlier recordings with Busch, Schneider, Szell or Ormandy?
Actually, I don't think I have heard Serkin's Mozart in his prime!:-[

George

Sarge

I am not finding it on amazon. Do you mean Teldec? http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Concertos-Nos-20-27/dp/B000000SDY

George

Quote from: Leo K. on December 20, 2014, 08:46:16 PM
Actually, I don't think I have heard Serkin's Mozart in his prime!:-[

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Concertos-10-12-14/dp/B0000027IZ

This set has performances from 55, 61 and 62 (and one rondo from 77.)