Hans Huber (1852-1921)

Started by Maestro267, February 08, 2024, 07:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

A bit surprised to find we don't have a thread for the Swiss composer Hans Huber yet, so rectifying that now.

Hans Huber wrote eight symphonies, concertos, operas, choral music and chamber music among others. The symphonies have all been recorded and are available on Sterling.

Mapman

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 08, 2024, 07:46:35 AMA bit surprised to find we don't have a thread for the Swiss composer Hans Huber yet, so rectifying that now.

Hans Huber wrote eight symphonies, concertos, operas, choral music and chamber music among others. The symphonies have all been recorded and are available on Sterling.

His second symphony is quite nice. I should get back to listening to the rest of them! (And, I've added this thread to the list of composer threads!)

Maestro267

I've ordered the 5-disc set of the symphonies and it should be here soon. Looking forward to hearing them. I've been looking at them for a little while now.

Update: It's arrived.

Maestro267

Listening to Symphony No. 1 again and it's a very pleasant Romantic work akin to Schumann and Brahms, I would say.

kyjo

A quite uneven composer, I would say, but his Symphonies nos. 2, 4, and 8 have impressed me. The 2nd (Böcklin-Symphonie) is his most "epic" and dramatic symphony, the 4th is notable for its colorful contributions from piano and organ in sort of a concerto grosso fashion, and the 8th possesses a lovely pastoral atmosphere.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

This new release has appeared on YouTube. There's something really weird about CPO releases. Its webpage doesn't show these releases, but they do come up on YouTube the first. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brian

Wow! That doesn't even appear on JPC (CPO's own store) and it is not anywhere in the Naxos database for distributors/retailers, even as an upcoming release.

Maestro267

It appears on Amazon Music streaming

Daverz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2024, 09:18:30 AMThis new release has appeared on YouTube. There's something really weird about CPO releases. Its webpage doesn't show these releases, but they do come up on YouTube the first. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I don't think it's been officially released yet.

There's also a CD on the Musiques Suisses label with the Aura Quartet.