Brad Mehldau

Started by ando, February 15, 2024, 03:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ando

The pianist, composer, ensemble leader is one of my favorite contemporary musicians. Just wanted to create a catch-all for everything/anything related to him. Rick Beato posted an extended interview that he had with Mehldau a few days ago. Enjoying it now.

SimonNZ

I've heard random things of his, but have long wanted to get a better sense of the discography.

Favorite albums?

ando

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 15, 2024, 07:30:07 PMI've heard random things of his, but have long wanted to get a better sense of the discography.

Favorite albums?
Places. Simple but pleasant straight-ahead trio work. Take it with me whenever I'm travelling.  :)

ando

Just getting into his "lockdown" record (which he talks about in Beato's interview above) -

Jacob's Ladder (2022, Nonesuch) full playlist

ando

Quote from: SimonNZ on February 15, 2024, 07:30:07 PMI've heard random things of his, but have long wanted to get a better sense of the discography.
I don't know that you can grasp a sense of his entire opus; his stuff is too diverse.

ando

I do like the quartet work that he did with Redman, McBride and Blade back in the mid-90s. It was during the time that I was heavily into jazz, which happily coincided with their tandem.

the four reminiscing-

'94 performance of Night in Tunisia

ando

Here he is a few years later as leader with Grenadier and Ross's in '97, right around the time that I saw him live. His deft quoting was always the most amusing aspects of his solo playing for me.

ando