Things I saw today

Started by Spotted Horses, April 06, 2024, 11:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: drogulus on April 08, 2024, 07:21:57 PMI prayed to Quetzalcoatl and he brought the sun back from a 93% eclipse. He's famous for that sort of thing. I don't know why people are so down on him.

Praying to Quetzalcoatl is TIGHT!   ;D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Szykneij

Quote from: Cato on April 08, 2024, 12:50:13 PMHere in western Ohio we had a total eclipse for almost 4 minutes!

Despite predictions, local birds did not head for their nests or act strangely in any way: squirrels, however, were not seen, even when the sun was at 100%

Of interest was that even with 95% of the light blocked, with 5 minutes to go to totality, things were still fairly bright!

Then, when totality hit, and the sun was only a white glow around the moon, things faraway on all the horizons were lit up in a weird way, but, where our house lies, things were somewhat dark.  And you could look at the eclipse with the naked eye for almost 4 minutes: quite a sight!

I was able to get up to northern New Hampshire to see the total eclipse, and my observations were similar to yours (except the time of totality was shorter). When there was a sliver of sun left visible, it seemed just like a cloudy day. But as soon as the sun was completely covered, it was like someone shut off a light switch.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Cato

Quote from: Szykneij on April 09, 2024, 04:16:44 PMI was able to get up to northern New Hampshire to see the total eclipse, and my observations were similar to yours (except the time of totality was shorter). When there was a sliver of sun left visible, it seemed just like a cloudy day. But as soon as the sun was completely covered, it was like someone shut off a light switch.

Yes, fascinating, which phenomenon I suppose would be similar to standing on a faraway moon of e.g. Neptune, lit up by a small percentage of the sun (due to distance).   
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)