Author Topic: Coronavirus thread  (Read 134575 times)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • Too late. Too little.
    • Soundcloud
  • Currently Listening to:
    I am revisiting my CD collection.
Re: Coronavirus thread
« Reply #4320 on: May 08, 2021, 09:15:55 AM »
I suppose it's only otherwise healthy people, who can wait that long.

BTW congrats with the first jab.  :)

Thanks!  0:)

Well, the risks groups and elderly people have been almost completely vaccinated. My father, 82, gets his 2nd jab next week (3 months after the first one in February. Now they started giving vaccines to 50-54 year olds (I'm 50) and next week 45-49 (my sister is 46) and so on.

The 3 months between jabs strategy was chosen, because in the beginning (January-March) there was lack of vaccines so pushing the 2nd jab further in to the future made it possible to give more people their first jab, which already gives pretty good protection against serious illness caused by Covid-19. Now we are getting more vaccines, but the strategy is ongoing. About 34 % of Finns have got the first jab, but less than 4 % the 2nd one, althou the amount of the 2nd jabs will accelerate now that elderly people are getting their 2nd jab and so on... ...70 % coverage in the first jab is estimated to give proper group immunity* and with current rate it will be reached by mid July.

* Assuming variants that can counter the vaccines do not emerge.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Yin Yang"

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #4321 on: May 08, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »
I got my first dose (Pfizer) near the end of February, though I had to drive to a town two hours away to get it. My second shot, in mid-March, was about an hour away. ::)

But I was happy to get them. My wife is high-risk (she has severe asthma), and her parents live with us and of course at their ages (he's 82, she's 80) they're also high-risk. We've all been fully vaccinated now.

I was fortunate to experience no side effects from the shots at all, other than a slightly sore arm for a couple of days.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #4322 on: May 10, 2021, 09:47:56 PM »
First Pfizer jab a few hours ago.

Which is jumping the queue a bit here, as we are still finishing all front line workers, at risk persons and not long started on the more general elderly population. But there's been a pop-up vaccination sit go up across the street from my work and at the end of each day if they've got vials they need to use up they've been coming over and taking as many of us as needed and I was part of today's muster.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #4323 on: May 11, 2021, 12:01:36 AM »

Which is jumping the queue a bit here, as we are still finishing all front line workers, at risk persons and not long started on the more general elderly population. But there's been a pop-up vaccination sit go up across the street from my work and at the end of each day if they've got vials they need to use up they've been coming over and taking as many of us as needed and I was part of today's muster.

That sounds like initiative - something missing in so many ways today. Pleased to see it in operation.
Cheers

Holden

Offline GioCar

« Reply #4324 on: May 11, 2021, 03:13:59 AM »

Very good Simon!

We have something similar which has been proving to be quite effective, particularly in the south of the country. There many people are refusing to take AZ (people cannot choose before, you know which vaccin on the spot, just after  the medical anamnesis) so many AZ doses are available at the end of the day and other people can take advantage of that. Some small town are setting up a sort of "vaccine day" for all who want to anticipate their vaccination. Some are successful, some less, but generally speaking it works.

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #4325 on: May 11, 2021, 07:34:42 PM »
Finally got the vaccine notice via mail, as an extra birthday present, a bit earlier than I'd expected lately ... will be having the first Pfizer jab on next Wednesday, the 19th of May, and the second Pfizer on June 25th. I'm also trying some daily waiting list for surplus vaccines, in case such an extra appointment option turns up.

Currently they think that the whole Danish population will have had vaccines in August, there's been some delays especially for younger people ...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:46:20 PM by MusicTurner »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4326 on: May 11, 2021, 10:04:43 PM »
Vaccine production has been ramped up and the expectation is that the population of large parts of Europa will be vaccinated over summer.  Which might be a bit late for the vacation industry in Southern Europe. And the EU "vaccination passport" will only be ready some time in August. I'm expecting travel restrictions and some chaos in the summer season.