What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2024, 08:35:19 AMJust its self referencing in Part 2. Don Quixote the character who only exists in the novel "Don Quixote"  reads "Don Quixote"

By this token, Mozart took post-modernism to the next level: Don Giovanni's Tafelmusik (an eminently Baroque genre) includes a Harmoniemusik arrangement (an eminently Classical Era genre) of Le Nozze di Figaro.

Now, of course, neither Cervantes nor Mozart has got anything to do with post-modernism and they both have got everything to do with their personal, individual, unrepeatable genius which transcends all classifications and categorizations.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2024, 12:10:43 PMBy this token, Mozart took post-modernism to the next level: Don Giovanni's Tafelmusik (an eminently Baroque genre) includes a Harmoniemusik arrangement (an eminently Classical Era genre) of Le Nozze di Figaro.

Even that's not quite postmodern yet. You would need Don Giovanni to go to the opera and hear Don Giovanni, and maybe to comment "That ain't right. I get more women than he does!" 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2024, 12:10:43 PMBy this token, Mozart took post-modernism to the next level: Don Giovanni's Tafelmusik (an eminently Baroque genre) includes a Harmoniemusik arrangement (an eminently Classical Era genre) of Le Nozze di Figaro.

Now, of course, neither Cervantes nor Mozart has got anything to do with post-modernism and they both have got everything to do with their personal, individual, unrepeatable genius which transcends all classifications and categorizations.

I don't have a copy of the libretto close by--but doesn't Don G or Leperello complain about the NdF music as boring or cliched or something and want the musicians to play something else?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on May 10, 2024, 01:55:20 PMI don't have a copy of the libretto close by--but doesn't Don G or Leperello complain about the NdF music as boring or cliched or something and want the musicians to play something else?

More evidence for my thesis.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Quote from: JBS on May 10, 2024, 01:55:20 PMI don't have a copy of the libretto close by--but doesn't Don G or Leperello complain about the NdF music as boring or cliched or something and want the musicians to play something else?
What Leporello says is "Questa poi la conosco pur troppo" ("I know this one too well")...

And I still know parts of Don Giovanni by heart  ;D

JBS

Quote from: ritter on May 10, 2024, 02:07:13 PMWhat Leporello says is "Questa poi la conosco pur troppo" ("I know this one too well")...

And I still know parts of Don Giovanni by heart  ;D

Thanks. Probably the only thing from DG I ever knew by heart was the Catalog Aria.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk