What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 12, 2024, 08:03:30 AMSalvor Hardin was famous for saying "violence is the last act of the incompetent" and finding nonviolent resolutions, while in the tv show Salvor solves most issues with violence, including Salvor and a reincarnated Harry Seldon murdering someone while Harry quips "I never liked her anyway." 
As someone who read the original trilogy as a teenager. I'm profoundly disappointed in this. And, a non-judgmental corrigendum, as this thought arises from your citation, I believe it's actually the last refuge. I seem to remember that phrase being echoed in the curtain line of the chapter.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 12, 2024, 08:18:57 AMAs someone who read the original trilogy as a teenager. I'm profoundly disappointed in this. And, a non-judgmental corrigendum, as this thought arises from your citation, I believe it's actually the last refuge. I seem to remember that phrase being echoed in the curtain line of the chapter.

I humbly stand corrected sir. 8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Quote from: DavidW on May 12, 2024, 08:03:30 AMI think the biggest changes were (a) in the books psychohistory predicts what large groups of people do because we are predictable over large numbers, and has nothing to say about the individual, while in the tv show it is exactly opposite.

That's surprising. Is it explained? I distinctly remember Hari Seldon in the first episode, under questioning, answering that psychohistory can only predict the behavior of large numbers of people. If it just sort-of happens that "special individuals matter more than the group", with no discussion of what that means for Seldon's theory, or whether it is somehow consistent after all with his theory, I'd call that a failure of continuity.

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on May 12, 2024, 11:18:43 AMI distinctly remember Hari Seldon in the first episode, under questioning, answering that psychohistory can only predict the behavior of large numbers of people.
Hence the relatively momentary disruption created by the Mule.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Iota

The story of a policeman with a complicated life and serious mental issues is fairly well-explored dramatic territory, but that's the only thing that's remotely cookie-cutter about this series. It's brilliant, powerful and grim stuff that has booted my respect for Martin Freeman (of The Office and Hobbit fame) onto an altogether different level. Adelayo Adedayo alongside him (a new face to me) is also very impressive, but every single actor shines with almost eerily unbroken quality, and the intensity of the many-stranded drama remains long in the memory.

Series 2 coming up.   

Papy Oli

Quote from: Iota on May 12, 2024, 12:00:17 PM

The story of a policeman with a complicated life and serious mental issues is fairly well-explored dramatic territory, but that's the only thing that's remotely cookie-cutter about this series. It's brilliant, powerful and grim stuff that has booted my respect for Martin Freeman (of The Office and Hobbit fame) onto an altogether different level. Adelayo Adedayo alongside him (a new face to me) is also very impressive, but every single actor shines with almost eerily unbroken quality, and the intensity of the many-stranded drama remains long in the memory.

Series 2 coming up. 

Series 1 was top notch indeed.

We're half waythrough season 2 now and this is quite a let down in comparison. It needs a serious suspension of disbelief to go through it. Regrettably. Your impression may vary of course.
Olivier

krummholz

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 12, 2024, 11:40:14 AMHence the relatively momentary disruption created by the Mule.

Ah! I haven't quite gotten that far, and was thinking of the dissertation on these matters given by Ducem Barr at the end of The General in Foundation and Empire. I'm slightly over halfway through Foundation and Empire, and hope to finish it within a couple days.

DavidW

Quote from: krummholz on May 12, 2024, 02:18:08 PMAh! I haven't quite gotten that far, and was thinking of the dissertation on these matters given by Ducem Barr at the end of The General in Foundation and Empire. I'm slightly over halfway through Foundation and Empire, and hope to finish it within a couple days.

If I recall right the Mule is in the second half of Foundation and Empire and all of Second Foundation.

DavidW

Quote from: krummholz on May 12, 2024, 11:18:43 AMThat's surprising. Is it explained?

Yes.  It is all spoilers though tied to the fate of Seldon and the second foundation so I'll just leave at that.  Nothing to do with the books, but it is consistent within the tv series continuity.

Roy Bland

KevinP

I actually got addicted to a reality show, though I think it's one nobody would call a 'reality show' in the worst sense of the term. Anyway, Pawn Stars. I'd seen a clip or two before, but something hobby-related came up on my YouTube recommendations and I got hooked.

The scripted banter is cringe-worthy though, and makes we realise that we haven't progressed much since Real People.

krummholz

Quote from: DavidW on May 12, 2024, 03:01:16 PMIf I recall right the Mule is in the second half of Foundation and Empire and all of Second Foundation.

The Mule IS the second half of Foundation and Empire. But though I know about him, I still don't really know much about his significance.

Pohjolas Daughter

I think that I'm going to have to go back and reread my Asimov.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 12, 2024, 12:17:49 PMSeries 1 was top notch indeed.

We're half waythrough season 2 now and this is quite a let down in comparison. It needs a serious suspension of disbelief to go through it. Regrettably. Your impression may vary of course.

Pretty much the same thoughts. After enjoying the first series greatly, dived straight into the second (we are half way too) which may have proved a mistake. Does not seem believable to me that a cop will risk his career and a prison sentence to be placed on a day shift enabling him to visit his daughter living with his estranged wife.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on May 13, 2024, 11:40:46 PMPretty much the same thoughts. After enjoying the first series greatly, dived straight into the second (we are half way too) which may have proved a mistake. Does not seem believable to me that a cop will risk his career and a prison sentence to be placed on a day shift enabling him to visit his daughter living with his estranged wife.

Ploughed through the final episode last night. It gets worse...a big shame because the acting is generally still pretty good.
Olivier

DavidW

I've started Ripley.  I like it so far.  Beautiful cinematography!

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 05:14:42 AMI've started Ripley.  I like it so far.  Beautiful cinematography!

Very stylish. Too much of a good thing, maybe? More style then substance.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

Binged most of Gilly and Keeves as prep work for TiresOnlyFans Dad is a classic bit.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bachtoven

Quote from: Iota on May 12, 2024, 12:00:17 PM

Series 2 coming up.   
I started watching it last night--quite a shift from the usual buddy system police procedural. I enjoyed (if that's the right word!) the first episode--Martin Freeman is such a good actor.
Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S