What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on April 24, 2024, 09:35:30 AMThere is only one thing which is the violation of the three laws of robotics.  I do know that the last robot in the books adhered to the zeroth law which allowed him to do that, but that has not been addressed in the show.
I don't remember the laws of robotics figuring in the books. But, when I read them, there were only three (books, that is.) and now I vaguely wonder if he went on to write more.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 27, 2024, 02:47:16 PMI don't remember the laws of robotics figuring in the books. But, when I read them, there were only three (books, that is.) and now I vaguely wonder if he went on to write more.

Despite me reading them in middle school I still remember.  Daneel Olivaw (who was in the robot novels) at the end of that series gained the powers of telepathy from another robot, and those two created the zeroth law of robotics that superseded the three.

"A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm."

He set himself up to guide the galactic empire, and secretly ruled it for thousands of years in the emperor's shadow.  All was revealed in Foundation and Earth.

Madiel

I finally finished the last season of The Americans.

Hell of a good TV show. More than anything, some of the best writing of conversations anywhere. Not just what characters say, but what they don't say. Sometimes for years.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

krummholz

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 27, 2024, 02:47:16 PMI don't remember the laws of robotics figuring in the books. But, when I read them, there were only three (books, that is.) and now I vaguely wonder if he went on to write more.

He did - two sequels and two prequels. See the Wikipedia article on the series.

DavidW

Quote from: krummholz on April 28, 2024, 07:16:07 AMHe did - two sequels and two prequels. See the Wikipedia article on the series.

I was such a big fan back then that not only did I read all of Asimov's fiction... but I read the second Foundation trilogy written by the killer B's (Benford, Bear and Brin). 

Foundations' Edge (the fourth book) incorporates the End of Eternity... and I am wondering if the tv show is going to include the eternals.  So far they are really going for it.  The Mule is there, the second foundation... all that crazy fantasy stuff.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 27, 2024, 01:48:17 PMMartin Balsam is a highly experienced TV writer who is afraid that he just keeps recycling ideas and has no more original notions, and who finds himself plagued by the titular mps. Balsam's character's name is Rockne O'Bannon, who is both the author of the screenplay and Story Consultant for the series. Ellison's commentary on "Gramma" is highly illuming. Ellison co-directed the show with series D.P. Bradford May. Wm Friedkin was originally going to direct, and it was at Friedkin's request that a special (and expensive) crane was rented for the show. The titular character (bed-bound) was played by a male actor with some prosthetics, and voiced by Piper Laurie, except for screams, which she did not do to Ellison's satisfaction, so he did them himself, after treating his vocal chords with Brie and half and half. Ellison reports that Stephen King thought well of the adaptation.
Something else I learnt from Ellison's commentary: the principal actor in "Gramma" is Barret Oliver, whom I've now at last seen in The Never-Ending Story
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Baby Reindeer - Incredible show!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Fëanor

Netflix' Ripley: a good show?  Yes, technically, dramatically, acting & directing, (to the extent that I'm a judge of such things).

I've watched two and 1/2 episodes; am I going to watch more?  NO. It's just too dark, ("noir"), for me.  By episode no.3 the nefarious intent of Tom Ripley is all too clear and, for me, it's rather sickening seeing the plot unfold.

Tom Ripley's evil is clear by then even for me who hasn't read Patricia Highsmith's novel, "The Talented Mr. Ripley". I did see the 1999 film version starring Matt Damon but I'd forgotten about it.  The '99 film had a less dark ambience -- and was in colour.

drogulus

Malkovich did a fine Ripley. The Dennis Hopper Ripley wasn't really the Highsmith character, or so it's said. The Wenders film with Hopper and Bruno Ganz is probably the best film of the bunch.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 28, 2024, 06:27:30 PMSomething else I learnt from Ellison's commentary: the principal actor in "Gramma" is Barret Oliver, whom I've now at last seen in The Never-Ending Story.
I'm now back-tracking somewhat to listen to more commentary by Harlan Ellison. He describes himself as "arrogant and elitist." (Really. Just heard him use that literal phrase.) Listening right now to his commentary upon "Paladin of the Lost Hour." It's always been a favorite of mine. I love Danny Kaye and Glynn Turman. A fair percentage of this commentary is Ellison airing grievances. I don't say there's nothing to any of them, but whining is whining, all the same. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 29, 2024, 06:36:01 PMI'm now back-tracking somewhat to listen to more commentary by Harlan Ellison. He describes himself as "arrogant and elitist." (Really. Just heard him use that literal phrase.) Listening right now to his commentary upon "Paladin of the Lost Hour." It's always been a favorite of mine. I love Danny Kaye and Glynn Turman. A fair percentage of this commentary is Ellison airing grievances. I don't say there's nothing to any of them, but whining is whining, all the same.
And now, his commentary upon "One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty." Frequent series contributor Alan Brennert did the screenplay adaptation, and Ellison is very pleased with it. The source story is essentially autobiographical (Ellison grew up in an Ohio town at a time when--he says--antisemitism was common in the American Midwest.) Watching the show being shot brought Ellison to tears. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 29, 2024, 07:06:32 PMAnd now, his commentary upon "One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty." Frequent series contributor Alan Brennert did the screenplay adaptation, and Ellison is very pleased with it. The source story is essentially autobiographical (Ellison grew up in an Ohio town at a time when--he says--antisemitism was common in the American Midwest.) Watching the show being shot brought Ellison to tears.
The first season's penultimate episode is a diptych. The 27-minute "Profile in Silver" has a descendant of Jack Kennedy returning from the future (we meet him teaching a class in Harvard) to witness the assassination in Dallas. But, the visit queers the timeliness. I'm a bit tickled to find that this significantly predates Stephen King's 11.22.63, as King is scornful of TZ. The episode concludes with the lurid codetta, "Button, Button," based on a Richard Matheson story. If you press the button two things happen: someone you don't know dies, and you get $200K. 20 minutes of a couple (who can use the money) unsure at first if they believe it, and then wondering if they dare.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ian

Quote from: Fëanor on April 29, 2024, 07:31:03 AMNetflix' Ripley: a good show?  Yes, technically, dramatically, acting & directing, (to the extent that I'm a judge of such things).

I've watched two and 1/2 episodes; am I going to watch more?  NO. It's just too dark, ("noir"), for me.  By episode no.3 the nefarious intent of Tom Ripley is all too clear and, for me, it's rather sickening seeing the plot unfold.
I watched it all and enjoyed it more than the Matt Damon/Jude Law version. I just thought the meeting in Venice between Ripley and the inspector was a bit far-fetched. Anyone would have recognised him let alone the pretty shrewd inspector.

Ian

The Gentlemen on Netflix. I've not reached the end yet but the first few episodes are entertaining and enjoyable.

Florestan

Beyond Paradise (BBC First), sequel to Death in Paradise --- DI Humphrey Goodman transplanted from the Caribbean to somewhere in coastal UK. Meh. I much prefer DiP, if only for the gorgeous female DSs, whether Florence or Camille.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Cato

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 30, 2024, 04:24:43 PMThe first season's penultimate episode is a diptych. The 27-minute "Profile in Silver" has a descendant of Jack Kennedy returning from the future (we meet him teaching a class in Harvard) to witness the assassination in Dallas. But, the visit queers the timeliness. I'm a bit tickled to find that this significantly predates Stephen King's 11.22.63, as King is scornful of TZ.

The episode concludes with the lurid codetta, "Button, Button," based on a Richard Matheson story. If you press the button two things happen: someone you don't know dies, and you get $200K. 20 minutes of a couple (who can use the money) unsure at first if they believe it, and then wondering if they dare.

QuoteKing is scornful of TZ.

No surprise, and for obvious reasons!  ;)

Stephen King shows the deleterious effects of the invention of the word processor!

Yeah, yeah, you can't argue with a billion dollars of success...

...or can you?  ;D

Quote"Button, Button," based on a Richard Matheson story. If you press the button two things happen: someone you don't know dies, and you get $200K. 20 minutes of a couple (who can use the money) unsure at first if they believe it, and then wondering if they dare.

I wonder if he was aware of German author Günter Eich's Träume (Dreams), a series of radio plays from 1951, which have a nightmarish atmosphere very similar to the later Twilight Zone series.

The book originally had 5 Dreams.  In The Sixth Dream (sometimes used as a replacement for The Second Dream, which caused great controversy at the time), a married couple encounters a group of very happy people who would be delighted, too delighted, if the couple would kindly pull a lever, which produces an odd sound and causes a celebration among their new acquaintances, making the couple very popular!

Let's just say that things quickly turn horrific!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

"Angry cupcake" (!!!)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA