What are you currently reading?

Started by facehugger, April 07, 2007, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Started:

Had been wanting something good on both John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson and this big volume in the Oxford History Of the United States series provides both and so much more.

At some point in the near future I'll also be doing the Reconstruction/Gilded age Volume in the same series (when I'm ready for another 900 pages):

Mandryka

Just reread the first part of Kundera's L'immortalité (my edition is French, évidement) There was an old Easy Jet boarding pass in the book - June 2019, Montpellier to London, I remember seeing Winterreise with Ballet Preljocaj dancing there in a 50° heat wave, terrible performance - so 5 years since I read it. Disturbing to think about the passage of time.

I think it's really good! I see myself in it!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Henk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 19, 2024, 07:50:23 AMJust reread the first part of Kundera's L'immortalité (my edition is French, évidement) There was an old Easy Jet boarding pass in the book - June 2019, Montpellier to London, I remember seeing Winterreise with Ballet Preljocaj dancing there in a 50° heat wave, terrible performance - so 5 years since I read it. Disturbing to think about the passage of time.

I think it's really good! I see myself in it!

I have it in Dutch translation. I hope to read it sometime, but that can take a while.

LKB

My Precious has arrived:

Screenshot_20240519_112910_Gallery.jpg

( Not used to posting images, it'll be better next time. )
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

vers la flamme

Quote from: LKB on May 19, 2024, 11:42:14 AMMy Precious has arrived:

Screenshot_20240519_112910_Gallery.jpg

( Not used to posting images, it'll be better next time. )
More pics, please!  ;D

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on May 16, 2024, 11:47:16 AMDon't walk, gentlemen --- run! This is one of the best book of general cultural history I've ever read (some few factual errors notwithstanding, such as attributing to Plautus the famous adage of Terence: Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto), together with Burckhardt's The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy and Huizinga's The Waning of the Middle Ages.

I didn't know Barzun was well over 90 when he published this!

LKB

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 20, 2024, 10:30:44 AMMore pics, please!  ;D

It's out of the box now, but not yet unwrapped.

Since that vendor link didn't show what the pages and maps look like, I'll try to get some pics in here later this evening.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...