Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 2089547 times)

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #28200 on: August 01, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
Hm, interesting. Never heard of it (or Julius Lester for that matter). Judging by the fact that it's on Vanguard, and by his appearance, I'd guess it to be avant-garde jazz. What is it, Simon? and what's it like?

I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but he's got a fascinating biography. Outside all his other activities he made two albums for Vanguard, this being the second. Its blues in the Lightning Hopkins style, about half in the "talking blues" tradition, most with a strong Black Power message though somehow subdued in delivery and the occasional humorous anecdote. Recommended.

That was catalogue number VSD 79261 - now I'm listening to the next number along:

Junior Wells - Coming At You (1967)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 03:22:49 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #28201 on: August 01, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but he's got a fascinating biography. Outside all his other activities he made two albums for Vanguard, this being the second. Its blues in the Lightning Hopkins style, about half in the "talking blues" tradition, most with a strong Black Power message though somehow subdued in delivery. Recommended.

Interesting. Thanks!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #28202 on: Today at 04:49:00 AM »
I hadn't heard of him before yesterday, but he's got a fascinating biography. Outside all his other activities he made two albums for Vanguard, this being the second. Its blues in the Lightning Hopkins style, about half in the "talking blues" tradition, most with a strong Black Power message though somehow subdued in delivery and the occasional humorous anecdote. Recommended.

That was catalogue number VSD 79261 - now I'm listening to the next number along:

Junior Wells - Coming At You (1967)

When I was a junior high school student, I was a big fan of Junior Wells and Buddy Guy. I should listen to their music again!

Offline deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • ancient soul in limbo, travelling space & time
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #28203 on: Today at 06:40:11 AM »
Hello folks out there on GMG friend, follower , enemy, , stranger space aliens grey and green, and that about it I'm listening to the first HALO ,called : Subliminal Transmition this there utter most sludgy, this is an Aussie industrial doom metal band , similar to GODFLESH & SWANS, this stuff kills lol  8)

Hello my beloved Aussie friend on GMG, I love the Aussie specimen, very nice folks , I work whit them once, and there women do flirt there not scared , there super sweet,  ;D
Hello  wear your green clothing and brown vest whit proud , walk whit a cane, we know all about Loftus Halls Mansion We built the darn thing? Je suis un Farfadet en 2021 tout existe ?  et oui le garçon existe, don't worrie, mean no harm & come in peace ok

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #28204 on: Today at 07:08:47 PM »
Found a fun bit of footage from Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, filmed in 2015 in Cahors. Fantastic accordion playing from Dopsie, and great washboard by Vincent Doucet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0tWZEBN68

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28205 on: Today at 11:14:05 PM »
Listene to a lot of Wishbone Ash in the car yesterday. They really kick ass on a Long car drive!

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #28206 on: Today at 11:41:59 PM »
Found a fun bit of footage from Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, filmed in 2015 in Cahors. Fantastic accordion playing from Dopsie, and great washboard by Vincent Doucet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0tWZEBN68

--Bruce
Bruce,

I haven't seen Dwayne Dopsie perform before, but I did get to see Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. perform (in NOLA--if my brain is remembering correctly--a number of years ago).  Have you seen DD and the ZH before?   :)

Love Cajun and Zydeco music...the food...the people......It's all good!  ;D

PD