Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cato

Quote from: drogulus on June 07, 2018, 11:21:44 AM

"2001" -- The Monolith and the Message

This is Roger Ebert's review from 1968.

Roger Ebert is (was) precisely on target: I recall the crowds (I saw the movie many times  ;)  in part just to revel in the Also Sprach Zarathustra opening in massive stereo sound and the "Dawn of Man" sequence!) being small, but the younger ones lingered around and marveled at everything.  One image sticks in my mind: a 20-something man with a neatly trimmed beard and glasses was standing up at the end while the lights came on, staring at the now blank screen, and rubbing his beard thoughtfully.  0:)

Quote from: LKB on May 30, 2018, 06:45:13 AM
I've just found this:

http://gatewayfilmcenter.org/2001-a-spaceodyssey-1968-50th-anniversary-in-70mm/

If the film is going to play in Columbus, Ohio in a few weeks, then it's sure to be in Boston at some point...

LKB

2001: A Space Odyssey starts later this week here in Columbus, which was picked for screenings I suppose because of the following:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/columbus-ohio-ranks-best-city-world-daniel-white

Columbus is also the 14th largest city in America, and is soon expected to pass San Francisco.

As a result, I am looking to move away to a small town in northwestern Ohio in a few years: tooooo many people and toooo much traffic here, and only getting bigger!  $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on June 10, 2018, 04:23:32 AM
Roger Ebert is (was) precisely on target: I recall the crowds (I saw the movie many times  ;)  in part just to revel in the Also Sprach Zarathustra opening in massive stereo sound and the "Dawn of Man" sequence!) being small, but the younger ones lingered around and marveled at everything.  One image sticks in my mind: a 20-something man with a neatly trimmed beard and glasses was standing up at the end while the lights came on, staring at the now blank screen, and rubbing his beard thoughtfully.  0:)

2001: A Space Odyssey starts later this week here in Columbus, which was picked for screenings I suppose because of the following:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/columbus-ohio-ranks-best-city-world-daniel-white

Columbus is also the 14th largest city in America, and is soon expected to pass San Francisco.

As a result, I am looking to move away to a small town in northwestern Ohio in a few years: tooooo many people and toooo much traffic here, and only getting bigger!  $:)

And all of them — all! — Ohioans.

:P >:D :laugh:

North Star

Kieslowski's Three Colours: Blue & White earlier this week, will see Red soon too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

Quote from: Ken B on June 10, 2018, 04:28:49 AM
And all of them — all! — Ohioans.

:P >:D :laugh:

:D   

"I can think of nothing more American than Ohio and Ohioans." - Walker Percy

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on June 10, 2018, 04:53:51 AM
Kieslowski's Three Colours: Blue & White earlier this week, will see Red soon too.

Some of my favorite films, Karlo! I hope you're enjoying them.

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 10, 2018, 06:29:45 AM
Some of my favorite films, Karlo! I hope you're enjoying them.
I certainly am so far, Greg!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Quote from: North Star on June 10, 2018, 04:53:51 AM

First class.

Blue holds a special place for me because I can't think of any other film about music that goes where it does.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Over the last few weeks I watched for the first time:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
and I am currently half way through Ant-Man

Madiel

Quote from: jessop on June 11, 2018, 02:17:21 AM
Over the last few weeks I watched for the first time:

Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
and I am currently half way through Ant-Man

I'm planning to do this at some point. Thought I'd say it will take me more than a few weeks and I have to finish a couple of X-Men films first...

I believe I've seen 2 of them already, but some context might be nice.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Madiel on June 11, 2018, 02:23:02 AM
I'm planning to do this at some point. Thought I'd say it will take me more than a few weeks and I have to finish a couple of X-Men films first...

I believe I've seen 2 of them already, but some context might be nice.

I have never really watched any superhero movies before (apart from The Incredibles, which is its own [superior imo] thing), so I thought the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be a good place to start. I've heard that X-Men movies ain't half bad, and Deadpool 2 has been talked about a lot recently from what I've noticed.....so I might check out this series when I am up to date with the MCU.

Madiel

Quote from: jessop on June 11, 2018, 02:49:45 AM
(apart from The Incredibles, which is its own [superior imo] thing)

The Incredibles is a work of genius and I am eagerly awaiting no.2

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Madiel on June 11, 2018, 02:51:03 AM
The Incredibles is a work of genius and I am eagerly awaiting no.2

Same

Cato

Quote from: jessop on June 11, 2018, 02:49:45 AM
I have never really watched any superhero movies before (apart from The Incredibles, which is its own [superior imo] thing),

Better than any of the dozens of comic-book movies out there!  We saw the first Iron Man because of Robert Downey, Jr., and the Toby Maguire  Spiderman, and they were enjoyable enough.  But there just seems to be a deadening sameness: fight scenes that go on and on, deafening soundtrack, etc.

The Incredibles was a great satire not just on those movies, but on our present society's march toward egalitarianism (e.g. "When everyone is super, then no one is.")

Madiel

I may have to slightly tone down my praise for The Incredibles. I don't want to give the wrong impression, because... I don't think it's the best Pixar movie. I don't even think it's the best Brad Bird movie.

Ratatouille owns my heart.

Cato

Quote from: Madiel on June 11, 2018, 05:28:21 AM
I may have to slightly tone down my praise for The Incredibles. I don't want to give the wrong impression, because... I don't think it's the best Pixar movie. I don't even think it's the best Brad Bird movie.

Ratatouille owns my heart.

Now there is a debate!  Maybe time for a poll!  ;)

Toy Story III would top my list.  Up! would also be a candidate.  Cars would be at the bottom...very far down!   0:)

George

This completely caught me off guard. I enjoyed it, but I feel to truly enjoy it I need to see it again.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2018, 04:48:22 PM
I have seen! What a magnificent experience!

I am glad you found it so.   :)

I'm hoping that the screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse New Mission theater next month will be superior to my experience at the Castro on May 18th... We'll see.

And l hope to see more accounts here...

C-G-C,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Cato on June 11, 2018, 07:42:01 AM
Now there is a debate!  Maybe time for a poll!  ;)

Toy Story III would top my list.  Up! would also be a candidate.  Cars would be at the bottom...very far down!   0:)

My favorite Pixar movies are Wall-E, Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles. Agreed about Cars, though.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on June 11, 2018, 08:34:44 AM
I am glad you found it so.   :)

I'm hoping that the screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse New Mission theater next month will be superior to my experience at the Castro on May 18th... We'll see.

And l hope to see more accounts here...

C-G-C,

LKB

As I wrote off-line to our Cato: It was a visual feast, first of all. The sunrise sequence dwarfs the impact of Lucas's Star Wars;  what an awesome spectacle. The beautiful landscapes of The Dawn of Man (and later, when they are "recolored" for the Stargate sequence).  The eye movement of the "star baby"! I don't know that I never noticed it before (I mightn't have) but it's a miraculously simple touch. I benefited both from the increased scale, and from the fact that when you go to the theatre, all your attention is trained upon the screen.

And the amazing sound system in the theatre! The music was fabulous. The Ligeti was visceral and integrated into the experience, where on a TV speaker, it can be a bit of an annoying buzz. I don't believe I ever noted the orchestral monody at the start of the Discovery One sequence (was that the Khachaturian?); that was especially gratifying.

And, what I neglected to add as a minor note, the cinema honored the Intermission, and of course the last thing we see before breaking for the Intermission, is Hall lip-reading Frank and Dave as they "conspire."  A perfect touch!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot