Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

milk

Interesting for what it attempts. Maybe flawed but still worth the time.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on June 17, 2018, 04:50:53 PM
One thing which struck me now - which I could not have known 50 years ago - was that HAL singing "Daisy" during his lobotomy was a reference to the first lobotomy surgeons, who had their victims sing a song during the destruction of their brains, and when the singing stopped, they knew that enough brain tissue had been destroyed.

Well, that really ratchets up the Creepy Index!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Today for Father's Day, my youngest son took me to a showing on the big screen (not Cinerama, but a 70mm fairly wide screen)...

Thanks to SonicMan for showing me how to handle the new Google Image copy-and-paste method!

A marvelous experience to see it again on the big screen!

One thing which struck me now - which I could not have known 50 years ago - was that HAL singing "Daisy" during his lobotomy was a reference to the first lobotomy surgeons, who had their victims sing a song during the destruction of their brains, and when the singing stopped, they knew that enough brain tissue had been destroyed.  One of the earliest and most famous (later) victims was Rosemary Kennedy, (sister of the president and the senators), whose monstrous father insisted on the operation to prevent embarrassment to the family.  She was supposedly of low I.Q. and had outbursts occasionally, although she looked physically normal, and according to one source, had a Fourth-Grade reading level.

The other thing I noticed: although Dave the Astronaut at the end, in the time-warp room, attempts to touch the monolith in the fashion of the hominids and Dr. Floyd, he cannot touch it.  And yet the desire to touch it seems good enough to the monolith, as Dave's reincarnation starts immediately.

Hi Cato - glad that the suggestions helped - assume the resolution and sound were fantastic if this is the new 4K version?  My son has a 4K HDTV & Blu-ray player - we visited them about 6 months ago and I watched a few 4K movies which were great! - however, at my age, I'm not about to replaced my 500+ BD collection w/ 4K versions - ;)  In fact, many will not likely come out in that format (oldies) - but will do some reading - apparently some upscaling is done - not sure of the 'usual' results, especially on blu-ray films that have not been well re-mastered.  Dave :)

Cato

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 18, 2018, 05:14:56 AM
Hi Cato - glad that the suggestions helped - assume the resolution and sound were fantastic if this is the new 4K version?  My son has a 4K HDTV & Blu-ray player - we visited them about 6 months ago and I watched a few 4K movies which were great! - however, at my age, I'm not about to replaced my 500+ BD collection w/ 4K versions - ;)  In fact, many will not likely come out in that format (oldies) - but will do some reading - apparently some upscaling is done - not sure of the 'usual' results, especially on blu-ray films that have not been well re-mastered.  Dave :)

This was (supposedly) the restored film version, 70 mm, so I assume it would eventually be transferred to Blu-Ray 4K HD etc. etc.   8)  I say supposedly because we still noticed a few areas toward the beginning that would seem to need work, and one flash of what seemed to be dirt.  A crowd of around 50 for the matinee, and a good number of people under 70!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on June 18, 2018, 05:57:20 AM
This was (supposedly) the restored film version, 70 mm, so I assume it would eventually be transferred to Blu-Ray 4K HD etc. etc.   8)  I say supposedly because we still noticed a few areas toward the beginning that would seem to need work, and one flash of what seemed to be dirt.  A crowd of around 50 for the matinee, and a good number of people under 70!  0:)

In a pre-screening chat, the manager of the cinema in Somerville pointed out that we were not watching a digitally cleaned-up version, that we would see occasional artifacts—far from apologizing for them, he applauded the film restorers for not using digital tools to "over-scrub" the film.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

For those interested in the upcoming 4K version of 2001: A Space Odyssey, the release has apparently been postponed (see below - Source) - again, for me to get into 4K films, I'd need to upgrade my HDTV and Blu-ray player, plus buy the newest format - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 18, 2018, 07:51:24 AM
For those interested in the upcoming 4K version of 2001: A Space Odyssey, the release has apparently been postponed (see below - Source) - again, for me to get into 4K films, I'd need to upgrade my HDTV and Blu-ray player, plus buy the newest format - Dave :)

Nothing will induce me to be less than totally satisfied with the blu-ray edition I enjoy  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Flesh and Bone

A very worthwhile watch.

Karl Henning

Today for Father's Day, my youngest son took me to a showing on the big screen (not Cinerama, but a 70mm fairly wide screen)...

Thanks to SonicMan for showing me how to handle the new Google Image copy-and-paste method!

A marvelous experience to see it again on the big screen!

One thing which struck me now - which I could not have known 50 years ago - was that HAL singing "Daisy" during his lobotomy was a reference to the first lobotomy surgeons, who had their victims sing a song during the destruction of their brains, and when the singing stopped, they knew that enough brain tissue had been destroyed.  One of the earliest and most famous (later) victims was Rosemary Kennedy, (sister of the president and the senators), whose monstrous father insisted on the operation to prevent embarrassment to the family.  She was supposedly of low I.Q. and had outbursts occasionally, although she looked physically normal, and according to one source, had a Fourth-Grade reading level.

The other thing I noticed: although Dave the Astronaut at the end, in the time-warp room, attempts to touch the monolith in the fashion of the hominids and Dr. Floyd, he cannot touch it.  And yet the desire to touch it seems good enough to the monolith, as Dave's reincarnation starts immediately.

[...]

"2001: A Space Odyssey'' is in many respects a silent film. There are few conversations that could not be handled with title cards. Much of the dialogue exists only to show people talking to one another, without much regard to content (this is true of the conference on the space station). Ironically, the dialogue containing the most feeling comes from HAL, as it pleads for its "life'' and sings "Daisy.''

The film creates its effects essentially out of visuals and music. It is meditative. It does not cater to us, but wants to inspire us, enlarge us. Nearly 30 years after it was made, it has not dated in any important detail, and although special effects have become more versatile in the computer age, Trumbull's work remains completely convincing -- more convincing, perhaps, than more sophisticated effects in later films, because it looks more plausible, more like documentary footage than like elements in a story.

Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape. Most movies are about characters with a goal in mind, who obtain it after difficulties either comic or dramatic. "2001: A Space Odyssey'' is not about a goal but about a quest, a need. It does not hook its effects on specific plot points, nor does it ask us to identify with Dave Bowman or any other character. It says to us: We became men when we learned to think. Our minds have given us the tools to understand where we live and who we are. Now it is time to move on to the next step, to know that we live not on a planet but among the stars, and that we are not flesh but intelligence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 18, 2018, 08:18:57 AM
Nothing will induce me to be less than totally satisfied with the blu-ray edition I enjoy  0:)

Well, same here - own and enjoy the standard BD - :)  Dave

drogulus

A BD collection will not go obsolete on a 4k setup. All of my files from DVD, BD and 4k look as good as before when I had plain old HD. The price of good 4k TVs and players has dropped substantially, and good HDR performance is now available for under $1,000, and that is more important than the resolution change for PQ. All of this is happening faster than I would have thought even a few months ago.

If you're in the U.S. RTINGS is where you go to find the best 4K TV at each size/price point. Pay special attention to HDR performance, in all cases I've identified a high HDR score correlates with high overall PQ.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Draško

It's ok, but I presume it works better as a novel.

André

Philosopher Stanley Cavell passed away this week. He was the first to connect cinema with philosophy, writing books and essays on the subject. My best friend's PhD thesis was in part based on the influence of Cavell's writing in understanding films.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/stanley-cavell-philosopher-who-drew-insights-from-shakespeare-and-cinema-dies-at-91/2018/06/21/b6c835ac-755d-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html?utm_term=.5bc545235dc6

Daverz

Quote from: milk on June 18, 2018, 03:52:41 AM

Interesting for what it attempts. Maybe flawed but still worth the time.

Really enjoyed this one.  Of relevance to GMG is pianist Maria Yudina as a historical character (Olga Kurylenko is a bit too gorgeous for the part, but oh well...)

SonicMan46

Wonder (2017) w/ Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, & Jacob Tremblay - story about a boy w/ Treacher Collins Syndrome, a genetic disorder causing a variety of facial deformities - streamed from Amazon tonight - ratings: 8/10, IMDB; 85%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.8/5*, Amazon - this was a wonderful movie w/ Susan & I both tearing up in the final scene - the makeup on Tremblay was amazing and his performance exceptional - I would probably do a 4.5/5* rating on Amazon - a film not to be missed IMHO - highly recommended.  Dave :)

QuoteBased on the New York Times bestseller, WONDER tells the inspiring and heartwarming story of August Pullman. Born with facial differences that, up until now, have prevented him from going to a mainstream school, Auggie becomes the most unlikely of heroes when he enters the local fifth grade. As his family, his new classmates, and the larger community all struggle to find their compassion and acceptance, Auggie's extraordinary journey will unite them all and prove you can't blend in when you were born to stand out.

Karl Henning

I'm rewatching Topaz, but am switching it off for the night. Numerous expert touches, yet tonight I was especially aware of what slow going the first 40 minutes makes.  On one of the Firesign Theatre radio shows, one of them says how awful Topaz is ... I listened to the show sometime after my first viewing, and I was inclined to think their dismissal harsh. But now, I wonder.

Separately ... is it quite aberrant of me, if I prefer Bananas to Sleeper?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 23, 2018, 06:27:20 PM

Separately ... is it quite aberrant of me, if I prefer Bananas to Sleeper?

No. Even if only for this...

https://www.youtube.com/v/7Y16HUOAmT0

aligreto

The Meddler

If you like the wonderful Susan Sarandon you will find this one irresistible.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA