Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on June 27, 2019, 01:04:04 PM
Point well taken, Karl --- yet to me it's pretty obvious that "squid-like, viscous and aggressive forms of life" are the core of this movie, witness the very first and the very last scene.

I have also considered, in your "defense," Andrei, that as an "origin" prequel, Prometheus is arguably Ridley Scott doing a squid-like, viscous and aggressive lifeform "deep dive." I suppose it is part of why I'm not crazy about it, myself. OTOH, in David's crewmen-hostile experimentation, Prometheus continues a major theme of the Alien movies: the morally reckless corporate greed which drives an interest in weaponizing the alien lifeform.

My brother quoted a blog in calling Prometheus, the prettiest-looking movie whose face he wanted to punch in.

One of the biggest letdowns for me was that Scott raised more questions than he answered, about the race whose derelict ship was the Nostromo's target in the very first movie. That, too, put me off any further movies in the franchise: No confidence that there will be a "payoff," in that sense.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

aligreto

Carnage Park

Exactly as titled and with a very strong lead female performance.

SonicMan46

City Lights (1931) w/ Charlie Chaplin et al - short synopsis below; a 'silent film' although the music integrates beautifully w/ the scenes and actions - composed by Chaplin who also produced, directed, and starred in the movie - ratings of the Criterion BD below (Source), which provides a detailed description of the film and the restoration.  Dave :)

QuoteA hapless but resilient tramp (Charlie Chaplin) falls in love with a blind flower girl (Virginia Cherrill) on the tough city streets. Upon learning that she and her grandmother are to be evicted from their home, the tramp undertakes a series of attempts to provide them with the money they need, all of which end in humiliating failure. But after a drunken millionaire (Harry Myers) lavishly rewards him for saving his life, the tramp can change the flower girl's life forever.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on June 23, 2019, 06:04:27 AM

Not my cup of Sci-Fi tea. I have never understood some people's fascination with squid-like, viscous and aggressive forms of life.

At any rate, Andrei, now that you've seen it, you can now appreciate:
Everything Wrong With Prometheus In 4 Minutes Or Less

http://www.youtube.com/v/BWnTW4rL0U
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SimonNZ

SonicMan46

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941) w/ Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn, Spring Byington, et al - short synopsis below; wacky comedy w/ one of my favorite actresses of the era, Jean Arthur (just loved her voice); in 1943, she made another enjoyable comedy w/ Coburn & Joel McCrea, i.e. The More the Merrier, another recommendation.  Dave :)

QuoteDepartment store owner J.P. Merrick finds that several of his employees are unionizing to get more money and better working conditions. In order to find out who the organizers are, he gets a job at the store as a shoe salesman. Not realizing his true identity, he's befriended by Mary Jones and Joe O'Brien, the two ringleaders, and Elizabeth Ellis, a charming older woman with whom he develops a romance.

Ken B

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 29, 2019, 01:38:13 PM
The Devil and Miss Jones (1941) w/ Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn, Spring Byington, et al - short synopsis below; wacky comedy w/ one of my favorite actresses of the era, Jean Arthur (just loved her voice); in 1943, she made another enjoyable comedy w/ Coburn & Joel McCrea, i.e. The More the Merrier, another recommendation.  Dave :)

Devil is a very good screwball. Merrier is one of my top 10 movies.
And I too adore Jean Arthur.

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

milk

aligreto

The Colony

This is a good tale of survival in a post apocalyptic world with good tension throughout.

Wendell_E

The Favourite and Rififi.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

aligreto

Morgan

A highly stylised film about those who play God and the resulting consequences.

SonicMan46

Destry Rides Again (1939) W James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Brian Donlevy, and other great character actors - short synopsis below - well, if your a fan of Jimmy and like old westerns w/ a comic twist, then this one should please.

Dances w/ Wolves (1990) w/ Kevin Costner, Mary, McDonnell, Grahm Greene, et al - nearly 4 hrs long so watched over 2 nights - see the Wiki Article, if not familiar w/ the film; reviews were somewhat mixed but 82% on Rotten Tomatoes (HERE) - I own the BD (actually 2 discs, a second /w specials) shown which is beautifully done w/ 4*/5* for visual and audio restoration (HERE) - 12 Oscar nominations and winner of 7, including Best Picture & Best Director for Costner.  Dave :)

QuoteTom Destry (James Stewart), son of a legendary frontier peacekeeper, doesn't believe in gunplay. Thus he becomes the object of widespread ridicule when he rides into the wide-open town of Bottleneck, the personal fiefdom of the crooked Kent (Brian Donlevy). His detractors laugh even louder when Destry signs on as deputy to drunken sheriff Wash Dimsdale (Charles Winninger). But the laughter subsides when Destry casually proves himself a crack shot, despite his abhorrence of firearms. Later, when saloon chanteuse Frenchy (Marlene Dietrich), Kent's gal, takes umbrage at Destry's indifferent reaction to her charms, she vows to make a fool of the new deputy. A huge moneymaker, Destry Rides Again served as a spectacular comeback for Marlene Dietrich, who two years earlier had been written off as "box office poison." (Rotten Tomatoes - 95% critics)

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 02, 2019, 09:56:32 AM

That is a very fine one Dave; a real modern epic and classic.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on July 02, 2019, 02:15:34 PM

Agree completely!  A couple of months ago, I re-watched the 4-CD (about 6 hrs) production shown below - produced by Costner after 'Dances w/ Wolves' - seems to be OOP on Amazon but 'used' bargains may exist for those interested - still brief but well done IMO - Dave

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on July 02, 2019, 02:15:34 PM

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

The Lazarus Effect

Bringing someone back from the dead can have unforeseen consequences!

SonicMan46

The Crossing (2000) w/ Jeff Daniels as George Washington and others - on Independence Day, we usually watch a 'patriotic' movie (often the musical 1776), but had just watched that film - so chose the dramatization of Washington's victory at Trenton in late December 1776 - short synopsis below for those not familiar with the battle.  Well, the night was young, so we picked another classic to watch.

Double Indemnity (1944) w/ Fred McMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, & Edward G. Robinson; Billy Wilder, director - one of the best of the film noir genre w/ great performances by all, especially Robinson IMO - blu-ray restoration excellent - highly recommended to those into these types of stories and films.  Dave

QuoteIn 1776, less than six months after the Declaraton of Independence, the Continental Army, under the command of General George Washington, was on the brink of utter defeat. Low on men, cannons and supplies, Washington decides to risk everything on one last desperately daring attack on the town of Trenton where over 1000 of the feared Hessian mercenaries are garrisoned. However to do that, the army must cross the Delaware to a seemingly hopeless battle that would turn out to be more successful than Washington ever dreamed of.

Karl Henning

Well, now I have at last seen Blood Simple. I guess I still do not understand the title.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA